Ranking
Original Post
Toribash Server Migration - Phase 1
If you don't know what a DNS server is, or how to change it, this thread is not for you!

The first step in the migration process will happen any time soon now. What is being moved first is the DNS server. It is imperative that the new DNS server functions as flawlessly as the old one, since if we go ahead with the move without this being in order, it's going to cause a lot of downtime.

This is where we could use your help, so that we can be 200% sure everything is working fine. (at this point i'm only 99% sure, which isn't good enough for my standards).

Therefore, i'm asking for voulenteers to test it. If someone would like to help out, you can do so by changing your primary DNS server to 176.9.64.19. (NB: While you're on the new DNS server, only toribash and minibash URLs will work) - I temporarily made it recursive during this test, so you shouldn't notice any difference.

If you don't know how to do this, google is your friend, as it is a fairly straightforward process. Just make sure to write down whatever you already have set as DNS server, so that you can change it back afterwards.

Once the new DNS server is set, do what you normally do: play some toribash matches, surf the forum, connect to IRC, visit the blog, check out minibash (not handled by this DNS server afterall), upload some textures, etc etc etc. If any of this results in a "page not found" (or your browsers equivalent), don't hesitate to post it here, as that means there's something to adress.

Your help is appreciated.

~
Jarmund
Last edited by Jarmund; Dec 2, 2011 at 02:46 PM.
When would you say toribash will be back up?

Does everyone need to change their DNS server?
RIP [duck] Aug 28 2011 - April 20 2020
Thanks For letting us know, Do you have any idea of when this will be done?
Originally Posted by Rfifan View Post
When would you say toribash will be back up?

Technically, it's back up already... just slow for reasons unrelated to the DNS testing

Originally Posted by Rfifan View Post
Does everyone need to change their DNS server?

Nodoby needs to change anything, it's just for testing the new DNS server.
Originally Posted by soki123 View Post
Thanks For letting us know, Do you have any idea of when this will be done?

From the looks of things, we'll do the first part of the switchover within 12 hours.. and as it's a seamless operation, there won't even be any downtime or noticeable change.
Note: If you don't know what Jarmund's talking about, either research it on your own (You'll note that he included a convenient starting link in his first post) or don't participate. Thanks.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&
Originally Posted by Dkilla123 View Post
and also i want to test it out, how do i change my DNS server

Hey. READ THE FIRST POST.
If you don't know how to do this, google is your friend, as it is a fairly straightforward process. Just make sure to write down whatever you already have set as DNS server, so that you can change it back afterwards.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&
Originally Posted by Shakky View Post
Hm my client cant find any servers now :/

As already mentioned, that's an unrelated separate issue. You won't find any answers in here.
Originally Posted by hanz0 View Post
Hey. READ THE FIRST POST.

ok cool, but o do i view my current dns server?
*Watches you look at my Signature*