Ranking
Original Post
ॐ psychedelic music ॐ
music with interesting soundscapes, progressions, sounds and samples.
doesn't have to be electronic, but I haven't found much acoustic stuff thus far(although sitars are great).

contributions would be awesome!
Last edited by RAAAGE; Jan 29, 2016 at 10:49 AM.
Here's four I like. It's not strictly 'psychedelic', but I think they fit the description you wrote. You've probably heard some of it before.

The Books are fucking amazing

Lucky for you I am well versed in psychedelics and its music

This is my favorite song ever

This song got hella loops (and it's acoustic)

and then some classic 60's psych
[12:00] <fudgiebalz> toribash SUCKS
Check my ~~~Dank Replays~~~
Honestly I'm not too sure what classifies as psychedelic anymore. I thought psychedelic was more repetitive than progressive.
Anyway, I'm a sucker for japanese rock (there's more to the scene than noise, although the noise rockers are excellent too).

Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
I could only find a remix of this song lol its pretty strange. jazzy psytrance

Originally Posted by Lazors View Post
Honestly I'm not too sure what classifies as psychedelic anymore.

to find that answer first we must understand what is psychedelic,why one
sound is psychedelic and another is not.
For me psychedelic is the meaning and feeling of music,how you can have
various feelings just by the sound of music.
For me if music has nothing psychedelic in it,i just can't listen to it xD

Originally Posted by Lazors View Post
I thought psychedelic was more repetitive than progressive.

for electronic psychedelic music,yes most tracks are a lot more repetitive than prog,especially full on tracks,witch i can't bring myself to hear anymore.
This is how i found minimal psychedelic/psy prog or however you wanna call it:

in dubstep:

in metal:

Last edited by nikosefs; Mar 23, 2016 at 04:19 PM.
Sun Araw is dope

And yeah I agree that psychedelic music is more of a mindset than a specific sound. To me, psychedelic is defined as: any type of music that attempts to recreate or enhance the effects of psychedelic drugs.

nikosefs mentioned a few ways to achieve this, and repetition is one way. It brings you into the sort of trancelike, spaced-out feel that psychedelics are known for when done with that intention. I find that guitar tones with a lot of distortion (while simultaneously not being aggressive a la punk/metal) are also often indicative of psychedelic music to me.

Another thing that I consider an indicator of psych music is when there are musical detours (a term I sorta just made up). I think of this as things that attract your attention that may not be the focal point. These lend the music a sort of depth that your mind "explores". The Books are really good at this imo. Idk if I'm expressing this well, writing about music is hard

I find it hard to consider any metal psychedelic (Primus may be an exception), I just think that the aggression inherent to metal doesn't fit well with my perception of what psych music should be.

ok here are examples

Repetition (although it still has a progression)

Unaggressive distortion

Musical detours (the wibbly wobbly sounds in this song)

Also I just remembered that psychedelic metal exists its just usually the super slow kind (doom/sludge/stoner/etc)
So Isis probably fits in there a bit
Last edited by Larfen; Mar 24, 2016 at 01:29 AM.
[12:00] <fudgiebalz> toribash SUCKS
Check my ~~~Dank Replays~~~