Toribash
Original Post
"an uke" or "a uke"
So Hypersaint and I are having a debate.

Do you say "a uke entered the room" or "an Uke entered the room"?

There is also a mini debate around pronunciation, because we think it impacts on the above debate.

Do you pronounce it the japanese way (which I support) or the "other way" (which hypersaint supports).

We are using this video as reference

if link broken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GLtRLte8OI
Last edited by Kore; Aug 17, 2015 at 11:04 AM.

I pronounce it in the japanese way. Since in the very first start, hampa took the name (uke) from japanese language.
Selling something? Need some toricredits? Click this quickly.
Main rival of ToriBot since 20&&
- made in Indonesia

The warrior guided by the spirit serves humanity, the warrior without, serves the ego.
Technically, since it is a japanese word, we should use the japanese pronounciation, and that would also mean we would use an uke. But if you pronounce it in the english way, i guess, you would say an uke (because uke sounds like juk)

So, while speaking, you could probably use both, but I would suggest using an as that would be the correct way. Its not like anybody is going to hunt you down for not using it, but meh.
h
I pronounce it in a Japanese way, must have because of all the animes I've been watching..
Add me on kik:Senpaimike :D
well,it is japanese as the toribash faq says
Toribash faq
12. Where does the names Toribash and Uke come from?
Tori and Uke are terms commonly used in Japanese martial arts, meaning
attacker and defender. Read more here: http://www.judoinfo.com/kataju.htm

i read it as yook doe \m/
At first me and my brother thought it was read "Yuu-Keh", but now we pronounce it as "Yuuk". Is that right?

An uke sounds better. it is an english sentence, so english grammar rules apply to it.
aaaaAAaaAasaaadABabababalnandàas2
Originally Posted by eki27 View Post
At first me and my brother thought it was read "Yuu-Keh", but now we pronounce it as "Yuuk". Is that right?

An uke sounds better. it is an english sentence, so english grammar rules apply to it.

Its a japanese word, so japanese grammar rules should apply to it.
h
but it is used in an english phrase.
"Be my senpai!"
"The americans bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki"
"ikebana is a sort of japanese flower arrangement method"
"Tori bashed uke."

gg
aaaaAAaaAasaaadABabababalnandàas2
Originally Posted by eki27 View Post
but it is used in an english phrase.
"Be my senpai!"
"The americans bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki"
"ikebana is a sort of japanese flower arrangement method"
"Tori bashed uke."

gg

Well, you pronounce most of those just how a japanese person would do, unless you pronounce ikebana "aykbana", which is stupid. Your argument doesn't really hold up here.

So yeah, what were you trying to say here?

I just noticed you are contradicting yourself a bit. You say you pronounce it as "yuuk", so an uke sounds right. Do you not get how english works in this situation?

An uke is only right if you pronounce it the japanese way.
Last edited by duck; Aug 17, 2015 at 06:06 PM.
h
I pronounce it "ookeh", mainly because I have managed to completely substitute a social life for anime.

win
(RL)||[RMO]
Reckless is just FC but slightly better.~ Coine, 08/11/2016