Toribash
Original Post
GPU, PSU or RAM failure?

Hardware

Problem:
So a buddy of mine spilled soda in to my old pc, and after a intensive cleaning session the pc would start, but freeze shortly after. So I got a new motherboard, new case (just because I wanted one) and I transfered all my parts from my old case to the new one. After everything was connected my pc ran fine for a couple of minutes then my whole screen froze, and I have to turn the pc off and on again. The freezing is pretty random, sometimes it freeze immidiately, and sometimes it can run for 1-2 hours before it happens, but it will always happen at some point.

Testing:
So after trying different ram slots, trying different GPU slots, updating bios, reinstalling windows, running memtest86 and windows memory test without errors, installing and reinstalling my graphics card driver, switching power slots in my PSU, cleaning the power connectors of my RAM, cleaning dust, applying new thermal paste and a lot of other stuff I still get the exact same issue. The hardware monitors shows nothing strange, the GPU heat is stable in between 40-70 C
I tested my GPU inside a different pc and it ran fine for at least 30 minutes. Event viewer says that it is a power error, but how could I possibly find out if it is the RAM, GPU or PSU that is the problem? I can't really afford replacing all 3 of them.
Last edited by Ezeth; Apr 9, 2016 at 05:40 PM.
To be honest, the best thing I can recommand you to clarify which part is damaged is get one of your friends computers over to you and swap out parts you suspect (start with RAM obviously) and try to force the freezes by playing video games. If they all apply after changing RAM, PSU and GPU it is your CPU (which is a rare case, since the CPU cooler would "absorb" most of the liquid). Basicly any liquid beside fresh water is a garuanteed death to electrics while running.
I'd suspect the PSU first and then the GPU because of physical size and their higher chances to get hit by the soda than your RAM.
Got any problems or questions about computers or any other tech?Feel free to PM me any time. Lmod for Computer/Mobile Chat