Ranking
Original Post
Upgrade tori control system | IK controls
In my opinion to upgrade tori control system developers should make something work similar to Maya 3d animation but with physics. I just want to say that it would be better to control tori by pulling parts of the body during turns. Watch this video and think about this idea
https://youtu.be/XII9aKbVXrg
Why it will upgrade toribash. You will have more precision. You will be able to have more control of your tori. Will be better to play mods. Just will be easier. You will be able to make more moves. I know it hard to make again tori control system but it will give to you more capabilities. I would like to see this system in toribash. Are you agree with my idea?

Lengthy post from snake

Example from cappuccino
Last edited by sir; Jan 17, 2018 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Uptade
Either way, it's not happening in the near future. Hampa has said he'd rather make a new game, rather than changing what Toribash or Toribash Next is.
Owner of Fred
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toribash isn't about joints.
It's about controlling a ragdoll to make it do things you can't do in other games.
Whether you play to fight, trick, parkour. It's about making the ragdoll kick,flip,jump exactly how you want it to.
It's about not being stuck to the same 3 animations that most games show after you press a button.
That's why I don't play WWE where I press a button to get the same damn kick every time.
If a new control system can help me achieve what I have on my mind easier, then I'd love to have a new control system.

And if you're sad that all your years of practice are going to waste because then you wouldn't have the advantage of experience to beat noobs with. that makes you nothing more than a sad selfish mentally challenged player with low confidence because you don't believe you can keep up with other players if they started playing at the same time as you.
Last edited by Mafi; Sep 3, 2018 at 07:50 PM.
You can't fight change. You can't fight nature.
Its an interesting idea but would it even work and would it actually be any easier?

I think a demo of it actually working with physics would need to be made first to see if it's even possible to control the tori.

There is no gravity in any of these demos which is why I'm doubting
I think the Toribash joint system has held up nicely over the years.
I personally love how complex Toribash is, and I don't want to see it change much.
Toribash isn't meant to be an easy game by any means. It's a very competitive game, if you aren't willing to learn how to play the game and put the hours in then the game isn't for you.
Valterain1 was defeated by hermaphrodite on Oct 17, 2015.
Originally Posted by Valterain1 View Post
I think the Toribash joint system has held up nicely over the years.
I personally love how complex Toribash is, and I don't want to see it change much.
Toribash isn't meant to be an easy game by any means. It's a very competitive game, if you aren't willing to learn how to play the game and put the hours in then the game isn't for you.

Changing the controll system doesn't make the game more or less competitive. It simply changes the control system.
And no toribash's controll system ain't meant to be hard. But there was nothing easier the devs could implement at the time the game was made.
Actually, there was. Back in 2006 even simple flash games had the idea to use click and drag in 2d rag doll games. It wouldn't have been too much of a leap to do it in a 3D game instead. I mean hell, blender was officially created in 2002/2005 ish. Granted, hampa might not have have the coding experience to make it possible, and we might have ended up with a half assed game, but it certainly was possible back then.

Also, you're right. Changing the control scheme doesn't make the players more or less competetive. But it does make the game less challenging to master, which in turn makes the game itself seem less competitive. When was the last time you saw people doing blender tournaments?

The fun of toribash lies in its complex system. Change how movement would work and I still think it'd be fun. But I'd get bored of it quickly and drop toribash for something better.
Last edited by Navi; Sep 6, 2018 at 02:54 AM.
Originally Posted by Navi View Post
When was the last time you saw people doing blender tournaments?

Blender ain't a game. It lacks physics, It has no limits.
-----
Originally Posted by Navi View Post
Changing the control scheme does make the game less challenging to master.

Don't say that with so much confidence.
Sometimes taking away complexity of a game makes room for the psychological sections in the game.
Instead of spending 10 of 20 seconds moving joints
You could spend 5 out of 20 seconds on moving but 15 on thinking.
And you haven't even played with or seen how this new control system would work. It could be harder than the joints for some people.
Last edited by Mafi; Sep 6, 2018 at 08:47 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
So essentially you're dragging and dropping points where you want a certain bodypart to be. In multiplayer, if you are affected by a collision from the other player, will the tori do everything in its power to reach that point? to what extent? Will it start moving its legs in order to reach this point with its arms, or will the point move along with the tori? Wouldn't multiplayer just be pure chaos with nobody knowing what to expect with the other players movement interfering?

I don't think moving the tori wouldn't be any faster, although maybe easier. You now have to think about doing every move extremely percisely and there will be way more room for messing up with minor mouse movements. While the current system is indeed harder to get a grip of, in the end i think it provides for more control once you do.

We already match people up with others in the same skill level with the ranked servers and it's not hard to find someone on your level if you have no luck there. learning the way all the joints work took no more than a day or two for me, it's all about actually learning to manage it. it's a puzzle, and finding a good solution is satisfying. It's the satisfaction of that success that keeps me playing.

Having spoken to hampa in person he seems to think it's an ok idea, but insists on that it should just be a whole separate standalone game. Toribash next is not that, but a remaster of the current game with a new engine, better physics and more features.
|Opener by Xioi|#KillTheScootCork|
|Replays|
"Cool delfin med solglajjor" -Larfen
Mafia: you tell me not to say this with so much confidence, yet in one of your previous post, you told everyone who was against the change that we were a sad selfish mentally challenged player with low self confidence.

In any case, ik controls are neat but really shouldn't be implemented in toribash.

Since hampa has already stated what he's thought about IK controls and that he'd rather make a new game than change the controls within toribash, it's kind of already settled.
Is there any point in this thread if Hampa has already said its not happening.

Can we move on and think of other ways to increase players to stay.