Toribash
Original Post
Trigger Warnings and Safe Spaces
Discuss:

Are these actual answers to problems in the real world or are they the product of a weak society that can no longer take criticism or endure someone else exercising there freedom of speech when its against something that people believes? Is this the product of extreme 'politically correctness' and extreme offended-ness when that standard is not met?

Personally I agree with the idea that we have become too weak and need to culturally toughen up and address more real problems rather then little issues like these that should be able to be brushed off by the offended person and that people are just coming up with excuses to pull the victim card and become offended when they have no right
Last edited by Veoo; Oct 5, 2016 at 02:21 PM.
Yeah this is definitely a big problem with modern society, at least in America, I cant speak for other countries.

I think a lot of it has to do with the media, they always focus on bad shit, you never hear about something great happening, but you always hear about people getting killed. And theres a ton of drama in the media, and if you get all caught up in drama, you tend to hyperfocus on that drama, and a lot of people get butthurt when things dont go their way when it comes to drama.

Another contribution to this I think is the way people are raised now. In todays society, kids are raised around technology, and if you havent already noticed, people are way less social now than they were 30-40 years ago. I always hear stuff from my parents, neighbors, grandparents, etc.. about them going to drive in movies, rollerskating rinks, concerts, and a lot more outdoor activities. I never see anything like that going on anymore, or at least not often. Now you see kids going outside way less, doing a lot less social activities, and almost everyone (atleast that ive noticed) has social anxiety and dont have a social live, or atleast not an active social life. People that are in their early 20's and younger revolve their world around technology, media, and drama. I'm not saying that I am none of these things, or that I dont do any of these things, but thats my thoughts.

I had to write half of this in one class then stop and wait until my lunch period to write the rest, might not all make sense but I think you'll all know what I mean.

Anyone wanna input on what I said?
you're on thin ice, pal
If you went off about safe spaces and getting triggered and your hurt feelings anywhere else in the world, you'd get beaten the fuck up. And you'd deserve it.

I honestly don't understand how this whole trend managed to establish itself. It's a bit like being the dorky kid at school and embracing it, rather than seeing it as a negative thing when you look back on it.
Yeah I don't understand wtf is happening with that shiet in the US...

Everywhere around the world people have had disagreements and arguments for millions of years, because that's what we do as a social species : we interract with each other ; and sometimes people do not agree and it's inducing negative feelings. It's like these people think "Wow negative feelings, I can't handle such hard shiet, I'll just avoid them and live in my alternative reality where everyone think like me and no one could ever challenge my point of view"

That's weird as fuck, I'd even say it's fucking dangerous. People will just comfort their "intellect" with other people repeating the same things, never being opposed by another point of view, never doubting about their shit, feeling all self-righteous... like freaking 5 years old kids.
There's only one safe-space : your house/room, with no connection to the internet or TV screen turned on. If you don't want to be triggered just stay the fuck alone and meditate, and go back to other people when you feel better.

I don't know if it has anything to do with widespread social anxiety as Kozmonaut suggests. Social anxiety is all around the globe, but yet people do not adopt that weird stance that is "safe space & trigger warning".

Negative feelings are a part of our human condition, people have to eventually deal with it if they want to grow up, or else it's just another way of escaping reality.
Last edited by deprav; Oct 6, 2016 at 10:00 PM.
Basically in the US it feels as if they protect and embrace these negative thoughts, and make them feel special and unique, there's no more tough love.
|Evil|
I don't exist
This all contributes to the pussyfication of America. The US is becoming too politically correct. Safe spaces only encourage people to act like pussies when confrontation arises.
I don't give a flyin' fladoodle
Us stop that shit its arriving in aus. Let kids get into fights. I met my childhood best friend after we fought over the same book in primary school. They made us hang out together till we learnt to get along. My friends kid got into a fight. So they seperated them not tried to resolve at a kid level. They got the parents in to solve it.
-----
Stupid bubble wrap schools. The kids are not permitted to do hand stands or cart wheels. No tackle football. Half the kids cant even run correctly.
-----
I had a kid try report me at work for calling them a lazy shit for not doing their job and putting the rest of us in the shit.
Long story short. Its a negative influance on society it should stop.
Last edited by monkeyishi; Oct 7, 2016 at 06:53 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Ok since everyone seems to be against them, heres a difficult example where it would seem that they need to exist (this actually happened btw):

In college, a teacher started teaching about a war in vientnam and showed actual footage to illustrate his point, a US soldier who had fought in syria in the lecture hall started having a seizure from PTSD and could not prevent it because there was no trigger warning before the footage was shown

whats the solution?

(I still am against trigger warnings and save spaces but this is a tough one.)
Originally Posted by Veoo View Post
a US soldier who had fought in syria

There are no US troops in Syria officially. This is either bullshit or he broke his NDA.