Ranking
Hey that's pretty cool, I was thinking about taking my C# skills to Unity as my friend that studies game design recommended it to me (we went and did games design together in college, but took different University paths).

What is coding in C# in Unity like? I've already been using Java, C#/C++, Python 3.x and the like for some years now and currently approaching the Industrial Placement year of my degree so I feel like it should be a quick learn
Originally Posted by souldevilj View Post
Hey that's pretty cool, I was thinking about taking my C# skills to Unity as my friend that studies game design recommended it to me (we went and did games design together in college, but took different University paths).

What is coding in C# in Unity like? I've already been using Java, C#/C++, Python 3.x and the like for some years now and currently approaching the Industrial Placement year of my degree so I feel like it should be a quick learn

What's it like?
Vector3's, Quaternions, and "Should I use a rigid body or a character controller?"

Really though, it's fairly simple and is extremely smooth in the learning curve. There's tons of online stuff you can read about everything, and it's very easy to catch on to. There's a 2D and 3D interface, and both are very good for what they're supposed to do. There's a built in physics engine (though you can easily program one yourself), and things of the like. I find it a very good place to go for game design. Good luck man!
Originally Posted by SkypePro View Post
What's it like?
Vector3's, Quaternions, and "Should I use a rigid body or a character controller?"

Really though, it's fairly simple and is extremely smooth in the learning curve. There's tons of online stuff you can read about everything, and it's very easy to catch on to. There's a 2D and 3D interface, and both are very good for what they're supposed to do. There's a built in physics engine (though you can easily program one yourself), and things of the like. I find it a very good place to go for game design. Good luck man!

Alright! After consulting with my friend and seeing this I think I'm gonna download the engine tonight. See if my modelling and animating skills will let me bring my assets to life in something simple.

Grandroids uses the Unity physics engine, who knew?
Originally Posted by souldevilj View Post
Alright! After consulting with my friend and seeing this I think I'm gonna download the engine tonight. See if my modelling and animating skills will let me bring my assets to life in something simple.

Grandroids uses the Unity physics engine, who knew?

That's awesome man! Glad to hear it. In a bit, if you're interested, or anyone else for that matter is, am going to record a little clip from the game I am working on and explain a little bit about the programming behind it. Programming for Unity is very good to know, especially for this whole 'Toribash Next' thing going around, which will be made in Unity AND C#! We can mod the shit out of it! Yes!
Glad to see threads like this!
I've been studying "Games Development" for 2 years here in Brazil, and I'm mostly used to programming in C++ using SFML and some other personal libs (that my university developed, most of them are for educational purposes).
Anyway, I'm beginner to intermediate in Unity and getting used to it's functions and working in a big project right now (big for me atleast xD)
sfml with opengl is the only way to go chumps

then again both C# and C#/Unity are way more hire-able

fuck
Pls, don't even start with opengl... I literally hate opengl with my guts
Yeah at least we'll look better for being hired at a job. Kek man. Just put kek. Also, any advice for making scripts for games?
Originally Posted by MrMiyagy View Post
Yeah at least we'll look better for being hired at a job. Kek man. Just put kek. Also, any advice for making scripts for games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTp7xeVbcbw
Gaaaaah, YouTube, you get into YouTube series' and I'll never come back. Like I did with my math. I learned multi-variable calculus in 7th and 8th grade when I started by learning algebra on a YouTube series. Gaaaaaaah. Also, I forgot it because I never used it, but doesn't matter, will make it easier for me to learn when I relearn it.