Ranking
It's just trends as well, back then video editing used to be big, those people more than likely moved on from the and became busy and not as many took their place, same with texturing and marketing. I can't see a current trend right now, but it seems its texturing.
|Evil|
I don't exist
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
It's just trends as well, back then video editing used to be big, those people more than likely moved on from the and became busy and not as many took their place, same with texturing and marketing. I can't see a current trend right now, but it seems its texturing.

its hard to even do anything now because of how much the staff patrol the art / video sections of the site, you can't leave any type of criticism without being infracted

also this shit is a joke, who hired this guy

wtf

Hi, OP.

I am also a fairly old Toribash gamer. I started around 2009 and have been an on-and-off community member ever since. I probably had the most fun and enjoyment in the 2010-2012 period, where I met many online users I considered friends under the name of MintCat (I was also a massive shitposter, but hey!). Like you, I discovered Toribash on Youtube, when I had this interest in 'ragdoll physics' games.

It is sad to see the game's community activity drop significantly since then, but it's wholly understandable why it's happened. There's been no push by the team to keep Toribash relevant, plus the fact that the game's mechanism is totally mind-boggling to any new players.

Toribash's push to the Nintendo Wii was an exercise in futility. Its inclusion on Steam worked well for a brief while, I believe, but even that couldn't sustain the numbers needed to keep Toribash relevant and interesting. It has needed a change in the gameplay for a long, long time; not just various dojos and user-created maps, but different game modes that make the most of the engine and keep the game fresh.

All that will carry on is threads like these being made of people reminiscing about the good times they had on here. I'm happy that other people got as much enjoyment as I did, no matter what year you joined, you've still been a part of an underground community that's stayed loyal to a game they genuinely love, a game that's different and original, hard as fuck, but the best games test players' ability.

I always preferred the forum anyway, but even that's shrivelled... or maybe it was just me.
Toribash could use some modernization. Like you said, people look for certian qualities within games, wether its a story, good looks, a challenge. Tb imo doesnt deliver as well as it could on certain aspects, things like belts, or market costs and community. Belts take to long to progress, i like the idea of the aged and experienced, but by the time you get that satisfaction you have olot of opportunities to get distracted by something more rewarding. Things cost way too much on the market, which i understand it make people strive to get better to get tc, but it just a bit too much. With the community, the thing is alot of youtubers want the fame. Tb isnt gonna really give them that instantly, and the people that do it for fun dont really get the reward of views either. If no one watches then why keep making it? So the comunity needs to do something to promote people and give them the means to do so in a very pushy manner. With a bit a searching some forum savvy people can find it all but the newcomers need a guide to it all. And most of all it needs to be simple and direct, at least while theyre relativley new to it all.
Last edited by tlclay; May 29, 2018 at 11:51 PM.
Originally Posted by Mallymkun View Post
Hi, OP.

I am also a fairly old Toribash gamer. I started around 2009 and have been an on-and-off community member ever since. I probably had the most fun and enjoyment in the 2010-2012 period, where I met many online users I considered friends under the name of MintCat (I was also a massive shitposter, but hey!). Like you, I discovered Toribash on Youtube, when I had this interest in 'ragdoll physics' games.

It is sad to see the game's community activity drop significantly since then, but it's wholly understandable why it's happened. There's been no push by the team to keep Toribash relevant, plus the fact that the game's mechanism is totally mind-boggling to any new players.

Toribash's push to the Nintendo Wii was an exercise in futility. Its inclusion on Steam worked well for a brief while, I believe, but even that couldn't sustain the numbers needed to keep Toribash relevant and interesting. It has needed a change in the gameplay for a long, long time; not just various dojos and user-created maps, but different game modes that make the most of the engine and keep the game fresh.

All that will carry on is threads like these being made of people reminiscing about the good times they had on here. I'm happy that other people got as much enjoyment as I did, no matter what year you joined, you've still been a part of an underground community that's stayed loyal to a game they genuinely love, a game that's different and original, hard as fuck, but the best games test players' ability.

I always preferred the forum anyway, but even that's shrivelled... or maybe it was just me.

Yeah, this is basically what I was saying, except it’s a lot less cluttered.

I noticed the part where you mentioned the Wii version of TB, and I actually bought the Wii version, and I still have it to this day. To be honest, the Wii version isn’t all that great, imo it’s probably harder for a beginner to grasp the concept of the Wii version rather than PC. It’s confusing and too difficult to move all the joints around with the Wii controller, and overall not the best experience.

Oh, also, does anyone remember Minibash?
:)
Originally Posted by Wattr View Post
Yeah, this is basically what I was saying, except it’s a lot less cluttered.

I noticed the part where you mentioned the Wii version of TB, and I actually bought the Wii version, and I still have it to this day. To be honest, the Wii version isn’t all that great, imo it’s probably harder for a beginner to grasp the concept of the Wii version rather than PC. It’s confusing and too difficult to move all the joints around with the Wii controller, and overall not the best experience.

Oh, also, does anyone remember Minibash?

I actually didn't buy the Wii version, though I had a Wii at the time it was released. I think this was because I was already satisfied with Toribash on my PC, and didn't see the point in investing for a different version that had slightly harder controls (just pointing a Wii controller at the television is enough stress). So yeah, I completely agree with your points; definitely a lot harder for novices.

OOOOOOH MINIBASH!!!

Yes, I remember that. I always wondered what happened to that project. It seemed to be all over the forum at one point, and then it just vanished. I guess they gave up on it, just like they gave up on Toribash. It wasn't that great anyway imo, though it still hurts to see things fail like that.
This game is more about the community, than the game itself. When your friends leave you have nothing to do, but go inactive in time too.
Hosted >3000 events b4 you even was born.
MY SUPER ART SHOP IS OPEN AGAIN
Originally Posted by McFarbo View Post
its hard to even do anything now because of how much the staff patrol the art / video sections of the site, you can't leave any type of criticism without being infracted

also this shit is a joke, who hired this guy

wtf

You couldn't put it any better, staff do ruin the fun as time goes on, seeing rules being implemented, or rule changes that made the forums "fun" is just this thing where you can't really express anything, you have to make your own art boards on discord or clan threads and that won't even guarantee exposure or real basic cnc, no one really has the time to make a basic criticism a piece of art cause public forum is just annoying,

Also seeing these new features without public polls and whatnot, I personally don't like random things being added without further discussion with the public,
|Evil|
I don't exist
this also sort of applies to the post above
Originally Posted by McFarbo View Post

this isn't even true at all anymore, just read the art board rules
-Please post constructively. This is as simple as explaining why you like/dislike something, and does not need to be difficult.
-Posts in threads prefixed with [CnC] must be constructive (explaining why) criticism (explaining how to improve). All other posts in such threads will be warned, infracted, and/or deleted.

this was changed when i still was smod, in mid/late 2017, iirc. all you have to do is post something like "nice, the shading is good" or "not nice, the eyes look awful", or anything like that. if people actually want constructive criticism only, they need to add the prefix to their threads.

plus, when it comes to certain types of videos, a lot of them are posted in e&m, which barely has any rules. few boards have strict rules nowadays, really.

in the other hand, i can agree that the forums are not very entertaining after u spend a lot of time here. there's not many interesting/fun threads to post in, almost makes me want to suggest that wibbles should be free again, but wibbles 2.0 was so cancerous, unfunny and trash to moderate that it really makes me question if it could ever be fun
-----
oye also unicorn is genuinely the most active es member rn
Last edited by Arctic; May 31, 2018 at 03:09 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
That was really bad sorry.
Someone tell me why this guy is highly respected by some people ???
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
You couldn't put it any better, staff do ruin the fun as time goes on, seeing rules being implemented, or rule changes that made the forums "fun" is just this thing where you can't really express anything

Yeah, that was kinda exhibited in this thread with one of my posts being removed for not being expansive enough. It's not enough to simply agree with somebody, you have to state 'why', which would be fine if I was writing an essay for some assignment, but no, I came here to post in a thread which pretty much nails the general problems of this forum and why the community's in decline. All I know is I won't be posting here again.