Ranking
Original Post
I started again
Wassup guys, this is my second attempt at making textures, my previous time was just completely awful haha. Anyway i started this today, im still trying to make some hair so i guess this is just a WIP, i'm making it for myself. Let me know what you think and how i can improve on it,

I would mostly like to know if the style i'm using is appropriate for a cartoon set. Also its very basic so don't expect a lot when opening those spoilers.

I used Adobe Illustrator 2017

Applied texture

Flat texture

Quplays
Quack's Club
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pm me for help or if you have any questions.
Outlines are clean and you are using some lineweight, so good job on that. I'm not sure about the rough edge above that small beard, it's too horizontal and doesn't fit the rest of the face. Colors are very plain, little to no shades and no lights.

A couple of tips:

- use a 1024x512 canvas, that way you can draw more freely and with less distortion (at least on the face). For example in the flat texture I see that you made the eyes circular, but on the sphere they look oval because of the distortion. It happens much less if you use a 1024x512.

- idk if you did it there, but with this kind of simple textures where there's a big part of the head covered by just one color, it might be good to use one of Toribash colors so that it will blend well with the tori.

- even if you are going for a simmetrical head try to put some asimmetrical elements to make it more alive, for example those ripples of the skin around the eyes and mouth.

Mouse or tablet?
Originally Posted by WeppetKo View Post
Outlines are clean and you are using some lineweight, so good job on that. I'm not sure about the rough edge above that small beard, it's too horizontal and doesn't fit the rest of the face. Colors are very plain, little to no shades and no lights.

A couple of tips:

- use a 1024x512 canvas, that way you can draw more freely and with less distortion (at least on the face). For example in the flat texture I see that you made the eyes circular, but on the sphere they look oval because of the distortion. It happens much less if you use a 1024x512.

- idk if you did it there, but with this kind of simple textures where there's a big part of the head covered by just one color, it might be good to use one of Toribash colors so that it will blend well with the tori.

- even if you are going for a simmetrical head try to put some asimmetrical elements to make it more alive, for example those ripples of the skin around the eyes and mouth.

Mouse or tablet?

ah yeah i didnt actually notice that part of the beard, ill work on that.

Also thanks i was wondering about the sizing, thanks ill try those out.

I'll try asymmetrical elements on it as well.

I am using a mouse

Thanks for your input!
Last edited by Quack; Sep 26, 2018 at 11:10 AM.
Quplays
Quack's Club
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I changed it to 1024x512 and its looks much better!

I also added some other detail.

I'm going to start on the hair soon (that should be fun )

Applied

Flat

Quplays
Quack's Club
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]