Ranking
Original Post
Improved spectator mode
The objective would be to make commentary possible if ever there was an initiative to make Toribash an e-sport and help people learn better through spectating.

This is also necessary for comfortable streaming of Toribash so the streamer can commentate on the game while he is in the queue.

What is most missing about the spectator mode in multiplayer is an indication of what the player actually did or is doing with his joints. It would be more interesting for the viewer if there was an indication of the state of the joints like the one the player has access to. The spectators could also hover over the joints to find out their exact situation. Furthermore there could be a visual signal (like a short glow or semi-transprent color layer) over the joints that changed from their last state at the beginning of every turn for the spectator to see more clearly what the player did.

What does everyone think about this? Is there a technical issue with implementing this?
I wouldn't put too much thought into putting Toribash up there on a platform for e-sports, but there's definitely potential for a spectator mode where the learning of the game is concerned. I'm not too concerned or hyped for the streaming or commentary of Toribash (as I find the game pretty boring now, although I'm sure many others do not) but if you can focus this towards teaching and learning primarily over commentary and streaming I think you'd be heading in the right direction. It might also provide the game with more staying power with the fresh meat as there's more easy access to learning material if they every find themselves having trouble with the learning curve.
collect snots from the nose
Imo that's best suggestion I've seen in a while.

Yes, it could be abused, but what can't be abused with enough will and determination?
Gynx: I wouldn't have the motivation to make that sort of streaming content but I'm sure there's an audience at least! And concerning the e-sport part, I agree that the game is miles away from that, the idea just came to me when watching this where there was a discussion about that.

Dargon: IThanks! guess people could team up with spectators to get info on the opponent's moves but really you can already figure out all of the important stuff that is going on with the other player if you look closely. What is important is to make all of the joints change at once at end of the turn and not gradually as the player is experimenting with the ghost. I'm not sure I made that clear in the first post.
Originally Posted by Muffindo View Post
Gynx: I wouldn't have the motivation to make that sort of streaming content but I'm sure there's an audience at least! And concerning the e-sport part, I agree that the game is miles away from that, the idea just came to me when watching this where there was a discussion about that.

Either way it's a great idea if it's used for either reason, I'm sure both targets can be reached with an improved system so I'm all for it. Hopefully there's no technical problems that would stop this happening.
collect snots from the nose
Originally Posted by Dargon View Post
Imo that's best suggestion I've seen in a while.

Yes, it could be abused, but what can't be abused with enough will and determination?

The way(s) of abusing that comes to mind is to see the opponents new move, joint state etc.

This could be avoided by implementing a "delay system" which have been suggested along with the mainstream "multiple battle tournaments" threads...

I'd say it is possible, but having one (1, un, en) developer makes development a bit "limited" so to say. As such, it would be an interesting idea, but there are other areas which could require further improvement (if any have already been given) before case specific studies and implementations such as this may be brought to the "immediate fix now" agenda.
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!