Toribash
Original Post
The FAQ
I haven't told em' but I'm likely gonna recruit relevant people to help me redo the FAQ, since the one we currently have, while not bad, could be a lot better.

That said, before doing anything some feedback from the community at large would be nice. We're currently using a forum-based FAQ, but it needn't be so. There is actually a functional page designed for FAQ service.

Both have their positives and negatives from an author's point of view, but what about you, the user?

Which would you prefer, the forum-based FAQ or the dedicated FAQ?
I prefer the faq.php for a few reasons:
  • No one wants to search through pages and pages of threads to find an answer, they would be better off posting their question in Rapid Threads. Unless you can make it to where you can search through the FAQ without having to buy ToriPrime, then it might be more user-friendly.
  • It looks cluttered even though we have the appropriate tags. There's no structure to it, a suggestion to this would to make FAQ divided into different sub-forums: Game, Forum>Account, Rules, Market, Clans.
  • Searching up keywords instead of looking through pages is way less time consuming and will yield better results for new players.

Since I don't know how to use/edit html, here is what I could do:

Example

Last edited by royal; May 20, 2017 at 01:30 AM.
What about the translated FAQs? Adding them to the PHP would be a hassle, however, not impossible. For example, you could have them redirected to http://forum.toribash.com/faq.php?lang=br for the brazilian version of the FAQ. We have to make sure all translations are complete, and find a way to keep them up-to-date. This can eventually be done with a public change log. It's important to have the option to notify people of changes in the FAQ.

I volunteer to help out.
Last edited by Slau; May 20, 2017 at 10:37 AM.
faq.php seems objectively better, but if and only if it is made as easily accessible and visible as the current FAQ. (Or ideally more so by putting it on the top bar)
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.
A thread linked to each page of the faq.php would prob be the best, that way there is a direct way for faq feedback and tracking would be easy.
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!
The forum based one we have now is fairly accessible through the mega-directory (just ctrl+g and type "market" or whatever) and easily editable.

Like royal said, I'd divide the current FAQ into sub-forums; it would add some sort of structure to the FAQ (sorting in alphabetical order isn't exactly the easiest way to search). Using .php might sound pretty accessible in theory, but the amount of time it would take to sort the FAQ into translations would suck and likely take awhile.

So I'm pretty much recommending that we just make the current FAQ we have more accessible rather than mass-overhauling it to .php; it's a lot of work for not a whole lot of reward. There's no major incentive that comes from doing it.
Hmm, faq.php is able to have html markup which is a lot more flexible than BBCode, the layout is also pretty much the same as having multiple boards in a forum, plus it has a very fast search function.

I can also edit faq.php directly if we want it to look different.
Originally Posted by Slau View Post
For example, you could have them redirected to http://forum.toribash.com/faq.php?lang=br for the brazilian version of the FAQ.

This. Or, have a sidebar with each category, and then at the bottom the options to change your language.

i miss you ocean