Toribash
Original Post
Real time game mode
I've had this idea for a while, and I know that most of the suggestions don't get implemented but I might as well share it with some people.

So what we have right now is that Toribash is a turn-based game. In multiplayer in classic mode for example you get 20 seconds to click your joints how you want to the n you skip 10 frames, and it happens again. The numbers are different for various mods, but the concept is always the same.

My idea is that instead of getting to make moves during the freeze time, you get an option to toggle a gamemode where the replay is going at a slow speed (if we take classic.tbm, we have 20 reaction time per 10 turn frames, so the replay would need to play a turn frame each 2 seconds), and you can click joints at any time during your match. Before the game starts, you get 20 seconds to make some sort of an opener. Joint movements get applied after the counter reaches the beginning of the next frame (so you have 2 seconds to adjust a certain joint if we go with our example). This way, you can allow for quicker and more intense matches, since you see what your opponent is going for and vice versa.

Yet again, this would be hard to implement and probably won't be implemented any time soon, if at all, but I just wanted to share some thoughts and maybe give you some new ideas to think about. Thanks for taking your time to read this, peace.
Last edited by AssassinPro; Jun 24, 2016 at 12:12 AM.
golf
Originally Posted by William View Post
So, this can't be done via modding? I don't get it.

Originally Posted by AssassinPro View Post
Just immigrating the situation by setting low turn frames and reaction time. So no, it can't be done via modding/scripts I don't think. Gonna ask NutHug the script master to be sure.

Scripts nope, you'd need "scripted mods" to make it work. (dev on that was ditched years ago)

Modding, to a degree; however all it'll take is someone with a shitty computer to kill it. Crap computers are usually the reason when the turn ends for both players you end up sat waiting for it to happen. People tend to blame the servers, 90% of the time it's just because one of the machines is taking ages to finish sending it's turn info.
(server lag does happen, but not as often as people claim)

Due to the annoying turn lag issue etc etc I honestly think the best solution for now is what dash & dab did. Short tf + short timer. Finding the magic numbers where it feels right may take a bit of trial and error though.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Originally Posted by SkulFuk View Post
Finding the magic numbers where it feels right may take a bit of trial and error though.

We found 3-4rt and 10-15tf seem to work pretty well. You can still get moves in and the match doesn't take an age to finish either.
Last edited by Fear; Sep 28, 2016 at 12:57 AM.
This might work better if u add a small force behind each player. Something closer to jousting but much less momentum. This way u dont have to concentrate so much on moving fwd (just move the legs so u get a bit more momentum) and u can focus on the impact point where u hit the opponent.
Try twitching a jousting.tbm, lower the push momentum, distance, height and try the frames u tested. It might work a little better i think.
Last edited by Insanity; Sep 29, 2016 at 10:03 PM.
= SELLING MARKET INVENTORY =
Pm me for deals
Honestly with low turn frames it's incredibly easy to comeback, even with little reaction time.
golf
movement wouldnt look as weird since we got a new engine

the acceleration of joints looks odd in slowmo. this would be perfect when we get the new game
art horder. i like art.
mod requests: https://discord.gg/VEYqUSU
Here's why this won't be implemented.
You're basically asking for the ability to set the TurnFrames and ReactionTime, to a number less than 1, possibly around 0.1 or less.
First of all, this would cause enough connection problems to piss you off and never play this game mode. because there's already connection problems even with 20 sec reaction time.
Second, even if it was able to run smoothly with no lag. It would take too much time to make a Replay.

The closest number you could set to "Real Time" Is 1 ReactionTime and 1 TurnFrame
Or 1 TurnFrame and 2 Reaction time, to have more time to react.
But what did you do?
Originally Posted by DashSora View Post
we went on different mods and put 2 tf and 3-5 reactiontime...

This post shows that there's no need to have a number lower than 1, other than your eyes enjoying the smooth gameplay.
but the lagging will ruin that anyways. so there are no Pros to this idea.

Even if we assume, everything works out perfectly, and half the players prefer this game mode.

The little amount of Toribash players will split into "Live players" and "turn-based players" which will result in fewer participants for events and servers.

There's no real benefit for the game.
New players will be even more intimidated
It's not solving a problem, it's creating more.
You can't fight change. You can't fight nature.
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
Here's why this won't be implemented.

You're probably right, but it still irks me how categorical you are. Would be fine coming from an admin+, but you have missed the "I think" part. Plus, I bumped the thread because we have Toribash Next in development, so now I am talking about Next, not Vanilla.
First of all, this would cause enough connection problems to piss you off and never play this game mode. because there's already connection problems even with 20 sec reaction time.

True, some people have trouble with connection, I think I've mentioned it in one of the posts. But some people have trouble running the game with ray-tracing or even just shaders enabled, that doesn't mean everyone else has to suffer. If the mode proves to be fun, there could be a ping-lock on those servers.
Second, even if it was able to run smoothly with no lag. It would take too much time to make a Replay.

Time, of course, can be adjusted. Just like you can adjust turnframes and reaction time.

The closest number you could set to "Real Time" Is 1 ReactionTime and 1 TurnFrame
Or 1 TurnFrame and 2 Reaction time, to have more time to react.
But what did you do?

This post shows that there's no need to have a number lower than 1, other than your eyes enjoying the smooth gameplay.
but the lagging will ruin that anyways. so there are no Pros to this idea.

Yes, some people, including myself, have tried playing an immitation of this mode and had fun. But the problem with that is the gameplay is very "jumpy". You have 3-5 seconds when you click the joints and then 2 seconds of waiting for the next turn.

Even if we assume, everything works out perfectly, and half the players prefer this game mode.

The little amount of Toribash players will split into "Live players" and "turn-based players" which will result in fewer participants for events and servers.

There's no real benefit for the game.
New players will be even more intimidated
It's not solving a problem, it's creating more.

I don't see how this is a problem. Nobody complains about the community being split into "ABD players", "Lenshu players", "TK players", etcetera.
golf