Ranking
Well, it has been a while since I've tried to share a sense of mind, so forgive me if this makes absolutely no sense.

I've played multiple sports where steroids have been a "Problem" (NRL, AFL, MMA) but I see no problem in it.

I myself have naturally high Testosterone and could achieve results in a few months it would take my fellows almost double that time to achieve. I'd even been offered a supply of Anabolic steroids by a shady older neighbor who'd just bulked up in jail (Said no thanks BTW)

These people (Users of Anabolic Steroids/Human Growth Hormones) are just trying to get an edge they otherwise would, or perhaps could not have. That being said, it's not a "be all end all", they don't sit there playing video games and eating Doritos getting shredded as fuck, they worked bloody hard even before seeking the aid of growth enhancers.

They'd reached a point where the results were not mirroring their output, they'd simply hit a barrier of the human body and for them to open up their constraints, there were not many answers.

Competitively, I do think they should be at-least regulated somehow, modern sport is modern sport, and I don't think it should be compared to past civilizations.

I don't go around screaming from the rooftops promoting the shit, but I will not look down upon, or be envious of those who have chosen to use them. They're still only human haha.
[SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/thWfXwy.png[/SIGPIC]
Wanna see some ruffled feathers in Taekkyon

<Icky> Damn my mouth is on fire but my loins stir like the straits
Originally Posted by Dscigs View Post
I was merely pointing out that drugs and extreme workout technologies are not the only avenues you can possibly take, as some people seem to think. I'm saying it's the actual training that makes a difference.
Steroids can help, and there's no difference between using them because it's essentially at it's simplest just super-packed bacon. In competitions they should be banned, to give everyone a fair chance at winning. Most probably the guy who trains and takes steroids will be able to win out over the guy who doesn't take steroids because one guy is building muscle mass far more quickly then the other.

So can't someone who wants to be "natural" just take a bit longer to build muscle mass then? What's the problem with that?
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
So can't someone who wants to be "natural" just take a bit longer to build muscle mass then? What's the problem with that?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here but if that's a genuine question the problem with that is there's a natural potential people can hit without using steroids and it comes usually around 2 years of serious training. Steroids don't just make things faster, they raise the ceiling for your potential by a great deal.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
I'm not quite sure what you're asking here but if that's a genuine question the problem with that is there's a natural potential people can hit without using steroids and it comes usually around 2 years of serious training. Steroids don't just make things faster, they raise the ceiling for your potential by a great deal.

Well, that's a different issue from Dscigs' disliking the speed at which a drugs user could improve.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
1) Anabolic steroids don't enlarge organs. Human Growth Hormone does. They are very different.

2) Chris Benoit didn't kill people because he took steroids. Steroids don't turn you into a lunatic. Being a lunatic makes you a lunatic, adding steroids just makes you a lunatic with big triceps.

Absolutely nothing is fair about what is natural. Steroids are actually a step closer to fair than what natural has done for us.

One person can have double the testosterone of another person, it's not fair, but it's true. And neither would be allowed to get a prescription for TRT in the states even if they wanted.

An excerpt from my Exercise Physiology class: "80% of sport's performance relates directly with genetics. There are even some who care considered 'non-responders' who simply don't improve their performance through exercise".

If we drug test our athletes every week, and actually gave them a set amount of steroids, then it'd come MORE down to their work effort than the randomness of what's natural. It'd actually be more fair.

Ethics aside of course.

1.) prolonged use of anabolic steroids put you at risk of the following side effects

Men who take anabolic steroids may:

Develop breasts
Get painful erections
Have their testicles shrink
Have decreased sperm count
Become infertile
Become impotent

Women who take anabolic steroids may:

Grow excessive face and body hair
Have their voices deepen
Experience menstrual irregularities
Have an enlarged clitoris
Have reduced breast size
Have a masculinized female fetus

Both men and women who take anabolic steroids may:

Get acne
Have an oily scalp and skin
Get yellowing of the skin (jaundice)
Become bald
Have tendon rupture
Have heart attacks
Have an enlarged heart
Develop significant risk of liver disease and liver cancer
Have high levels of "bad" cholesterol
Have mood swings
Fly into rages
Suffer delusions

2.) He committed murder and suicide out of depression(knowing he only had about 10 months left to live, that and living in pain) and the steroids can effect you mentally, and more than likely did.

Now about your argument on fairness;

Because someone simply has greater natural potential, its more fair to use shortcuts for them to be "equal"

How?

Thats like saying because the boxer I'm fighting hits way harder, I get to use weighted gloves, making it more fair

Thats like saying because the my opponent has a higher pain management, I should be able to take pain medicine, so we'll both feel the same thing, making it more fair

Thats like saying because someone is better at a video game, I can use mods to even the playing field, which is more fair

Idc how you put it, its still cheating. If those with lower potentials can use steroids, those with higher potentials should be able to use the same amount. The gap in potential will still be there.

Not only is it cheating, but its freaking illegal. You're risking your career by doing something you know would get you fired. If you dont look down on them for cheating, do so for the stupidity of actually making that mistake.

A lot of people could make it successful without the use of steroids, but they are to lazy to take the long route. I honestly dont know how anyone could be proud of something like that...
No. No it's not. It's nothing like that at all. You want the best boxer to be the best because he's worked harder at perfecting his punches than anyone else, you want an e-sport to revolve around the fact that someone has studied the match-ups more spending the long hours for his love of the game to be the reason he's a world championship league of legend player... tediously going into single player practicing last hits. What you don't want is the match to be decided in advance because someone was born with some weird deformity that made the boxer's hand be near metal-like. What you don't want is the game of League of Legends to be decided by the fact that because of some weird neuron situation a kid lucked out into faster reflexes and muscle memories that he was born with. Having testosterone isn't a skill, you can't work on it, it proves nothing of a person's character, commitment, or work ethic, and it's not what sport's are about. That's why testosterone levels shouldn't be a limiting factor of one person's success when we have remedies for this that when used appropriately are safe. If we could set everyone to the same height for basketball safely, I'd be down for that as well.

When you take steroids, your body doesn't naturally create testosterone anymore, because it senses it doesn't need to. Meaning if everyone took say one gram of test, everyone would have one gram in their system and what happened naturally wouldn't matter anymore.

How "legal" something is isn't relevant at all. We can always make something legal if it's right.

It's not cheating at all if everyone is doing it, then it's just the rules of the sport. Steroids right now are "cheating" because it goes against the rules of most sport federations; however, that could be remedied.

You say "a lot of people could have this sort of success, they are just lazy", well that's a load of crap. Are plenty of aspiring athletes lazy and not putting in enough effort? Absolutely. But it's a crock of shit to say more than the 1% of the 1% of the 1% have the genetic potential to be professional athletes. You need pretty much everything to go right. There are so many things effort can't overcome.

Finally- some people are under the impression that steroid use is a bad thing. What they're failing to account for is that it isn't steroid's use that's causing the plethora of problems that people cite. It's steroid abuse that's bad. You can take steroids without experiencing a cocktail of terrible irreversible side effects.
Last edited by Bodhisattva; Oct 31, 2014 at 09:56 AM.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
What you don't want is the match to be decided in advance because someone was born with some weird deformity that made the boxer's hand be near metal-like. What you don't want is the game of League of Legends to be decided by the fact that because of some weird neuron situation a kid lucked out into faster reflexes and muscle memories that he was born with. Having testosterone isn't a skill, you can't work on it, it proves nothing of a person's character, commitment, or work ethic, and it's not what sport's are about. That's why testosterone levels shouldn't be a limiting factor of one person's success when we have remedies for this that when used appropriately are safe.

In your last few posts, you have been putting that elevated hormone levels can account for incredible muscle gain without any effort at all. Is it sports ethics to make this the standard?

Also, this would make more sense if these freak genes rampantly occur. However, in reality, what you portray are extreme situations that get more attention than normal situations. You confirm this in your own post ("the one percent of the one percent of the one percent, ...") Just because a very small amount of people are very lucky to be born with extreme genes, does not mean everyone's performance should be raised artificially to reach this ceiling as well.
When you take steroids, your body doesn't naturally create testosterone anymore, because it senses it doesn't need to. Meaning if everyone took say one gram of test, everyone would have one gram in their system and what happened naturally wouldn't matter anymore.

Need a source. Anabolic steroids only mimic hormones, they're not the exact same thing. I'd be surprised if anabolic steroid usage completely eliminated natural production of hormones.
It's not cheating at all if everyone is doing it, then it's just the rules of the sport. Steroids right now are "cheating" because it goes against the rules of most sport federations; however, that could be remedied.

If everyone starts using, you're still going to have differences accounted for by genetics that you want to eliminate by legalising steroids... Who or what are you going to blame then?
Finally- some people are under the impression that steroid use is a bad thing. What they're failing to account for is that it isn't steroid's use that's causing the plethora of problems that people cite. It's steroid abuse that's bad. You can take steroids without experiencing a cocktail of terrible irreversible side effects.

Just because this is possible, does not mean that it is also the most commonly-occurring scenario. We need data to show whether ab- or correct use is more common.

Lastly I would like to reply to Gorman: yes, diet, exercise, sleep schedule, equipment, ... all play a major role and are not natural. As opposed to steroids, however, these all require some form of effort. With steroids, you're just gambling on your own health and waging your own metabolism to significantly gain more muscle.
f=m*a syens
No. No it's not. It's nothing like that at all. You want the best boxer to be the best because he's worked harder at perfecting his punches than anyone else, you want an e-sport to revolve around the fact that someone has studied the match-ups more spending the long hours for his love of the game to be the reason he's a world championship league of legend player... tediously going into single player practicing last hits. What you don't want is the match to be decided in advance because someone was born with some weird deformity that made the boxer's hand be near metal-like. What you don't want is the game of League of Legends to be decided by the fact that because of some weird neuron situation a kid lucked out into faster reflexes and muscle memories that he was born with. Having testosterone isn't a skill, you can't work on it, it proves nothing of a person's character, commitment, or work ethic, and it's not what sport's are about. That's why testosterone levels shouldn't be a limiting factor of one person's success when we have remedies for this that when used appropriately are safe. If we could set everyone to the same height for basketball safely, I'd be down for that as well.

How "legal" something is isn't relevant at all. We can always make something legal if it's right.

You say "a lot of people could have this sort of success, they are just lazy", well that's a load of crap. Are plenty of aspiring athletes lazy and not putting in enough effort? Absolutely. But it's a crock of shit to say more than the 1% of the 1% of the 1% have the genetic potential to be professional athletes. You need pretty much everything to go right. There are so many things effort can't overcome.

Originally Posted by Arglax View Post
In your last few posts, you have been putting that elevated hormone levels can account for incredible muscle gain without any effort at all. Is it sports ethics to make this the standard?

Also, this would make more sense if these freak genes rampantly occur. However, in reality, what you portray are extreme situations that get more attention than normal situations. You confirm this in your own post ("the one percent of the one percent of the one percent, ...") Just because a very small amount of people are very lucky to be born with extreme genes, does not mean everyone's performance should be raised artificially to reach this ceiling as well.

Need a source. Anabolic steroids only mimic hormones, they're not the exact same thing. I'd be surprised if anabolic steroid usage completely eliminated natural production of hormones.

If everyone starts using, you're still going to have differences accounted for by genetics that you want to eliminate by legalising steroids... Who or what are you going to blame then?

Just because this is possible, does not mean that it is also the most commonly-occurring scenario. We need data to show whether ab- or correct use is more common.

Lastly I would like to reply to Gorman: yes, diet, exercise, sleep schedule, equipment, ... all play a major role and are not natural. As opposed to steroids, however, these all require some form of effort. With steroids, you're just gambling on your own health and waging your own metabolism to significantly gain more muscle.

Its just like me and arglax said, if they both take the same amount of steroids(same exact ones too) the difference in natural testosterone levels will still exist. Even if what you say about the body no longer producing natural testosterone after taking the drug, its gonna come down to who can, and is willing to spend money on more steroids. Some people are born rich and sill be able to afford more than those that are poor. You gotta understand that natural is probably more fair than than the smallest dose of anabolic steroids. A small amount can raise you're 'potential' exponentially... How is that fair for the guy who cant take them/cant afford them. It doesn't matter how you phrase it, you cant make anabolic steroids fair at all. How is it fair that two twins were utterly on par in every way. They do the exact same exercises, same effort, have the exact same body, same genetic make up and all. One takes steroids and he gets a leap ahead, totally fair. wtf?

Anyways, would you let this in a boxing ring with one of your natural fighters(say they're in the same weight class, and both like 10-0):

So much muscle its NSFW

Letting someone like this compete would jeopardize the health of everyone involved, are you trying to shorten the human life span even more?
Originally Posted by LeLight View Post
Its just like me and arglax said, if they both take the same amount of steroids(same exact ones too) the difference in natural testosterone levels will still exist. Even if what you say about the body no longer producing natural testosterone after taking the drug, its gonna come down to who can, and is willing to spend money on more steroids. Some people are born rich and sill be able to afford more than those that are poor. You gotta understand that natural is probably more fair than than the smallest dose of anabolic steroids. A small amount can raise you're 'potential' exponentially... How is that fair for the guy who cant take them/cant afford them. It doesn't matter how you phrase it, you cant make anabolic steroids fair at all. How is it fair that two twins were utterly on par in every way. They do the exact same exercises, same effort, have the exact same body, same genetic make up and all. One takes steroids and he gets a leap ahead, totally fair. wtf?

Anyways, would you let this in a boxing ring with one of your natural fighters(say they're in the same weight class, and both like 10-0):

So much muscle its NSFW

Letting someone like this compete would jeopardize the health of everyone involved, are you trying to shorten the human life span even more?

For your knowledge, that picture is obviously fake. This is Ronnie Coleman, one of the most muscular bodybuilders there's ever been (with all the steroid and other 'illegal' substance use, determination, talent and naturally muscular bodytype good for training.

Naturals will never get that big and many "natural" bodybuilders are lying just to get the fame and stuff.

Natural you can bench maybe 125kg max if you were born a normal person, that's it. You won't become a monster from all the training and stuff.

While some guy on juice will surpass you with just way less time training.