ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
the day pc gaming died

gg, gabe

whats going on? valve monetize workshop

will edit on next break, in short - monetizing 3rd party content means that people are removing mods from sites like Nexus, and make it workshop exclusive, since they can put a price tag on it. another problem is that people can steal same 3rd party mods and upload it on workshop and profit of it, and considering how lazy workshop moderation ever was, it's going to be just as bad.

the danger is real,

so it was good while it lasted folks, get ready for cash grab micro mods with weapon skins etc, and say good bye to total conversion mods

to be fair, i'm not talking about tf2 / csgo, but games like skyrim, g-mod or arma, which depend largely on 3rd party content will suffer greatly.

what it also means that valve makes an environment where from now on, uploading mods anywhere else than workshop is counter productive as a) you can not profit from it; b) your work can be stolen, uploaded and profited from (it was happenning constantly on workshop before, but it was mostly about creativity rights, but when money is in the mix, things always go south.

@anybody who says that modders should be rewarded - this is correct, but the more appropriate way to reward modders would be "donation" option.

if anybody does believe valve is doing it in any good intention, to clarify:
valve gets 75% cut from purchaise of 3rd party content which is beyond insane.

also even if valve will change it due to outcry by steam customers (very unlikely they would give a fuck), but this just have created a precident of charging for 3rd party content.

the only real advantage of pc gaming is modding scene, which was in decline already, and now welcome to the era of early-access-3rd-party-micro-dlc.

just wow.

there is a useless petition going on at change.org, here:
https://www.change.org/p/valve-remov...steam-workshop

this one is pretty worthless as the person who wrote it was a retarded schoolboy with english as 3rd or 4th language and no clue on how to write in legal terms, but since it's getting 15k following, you may give it a go and cast a sign. ( just because )
Last edited by snake; Apr 24, 2015 at 11:31 AM.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
is this about the workshop shit or what?

did I miss something?

please elaborate what this is about.
cage the gargoyle
I think it's because of this

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ste.../1100-6426742/

But I think that's good. It keeps people with accounts worth 500$ to get phished by new accounts made specifically for it. 5$ is nothing !
The article was posted on the 19th, so I doubt that this is it. But let's go with it!

Originally Posted by Gamespot View Post
•Send friend invites

This one is dumb. I started out on Steam playing TF2 and didn't actually buy anything off of Steam for two years. If this security feature existed, half of my friends list wouldn't exist, and I wouldn't have been able to keep in touch with some of the most fun people I've met. I see what they were trying to do-keep a malicious user from adding a friend, and they can't talk to that person at all, not to mention trade with them.
•Open group chat

I didn't even know group chat existed, but if I can guess correctly, I would think that you would need to be friends with two other people in order to even open a group chat with them. So this one is a little redundant (if I'm wrong about this, feel free to correct me. I don't have access to Steam when I'm writing this).
•Vote on Greenlight, Steam Reviews and Workshop items

This one makes more sense than the first two. It keeps a workshop creator from making a bunch of bogus accounts to vote on their item multiple times, but this must be balanced against how many people only have F2P games such as TF2, Toribash, Dota, etc. who also want to be able to vote on workshop creations.
•Participate in the Steam Market

I assume 'participate' means both buying and selling items on the market. This doesn't make much sense either, since my first purchases were on the market. I suppose it could keep a scammer from putting up an item from his main account and then having the alt buy it for $5, thus bypassing the $5 security feature and only losing a few cents in the process, but it also alienates a lot of users who just want to buy a few keys for Dota or TF2 or whatnot, and now they have to go through the Steam store and end up paying up to a full dollar more per key.
•Post frequently in the Steam Discussions

This seems like it's tied to voting on workshop items, and I see what their thought process was. If a user hasn't spent any money on Steam, then they are probably not going to be active in discussions, so why not put on a post per day/week cap? I don't have much to say about this, since I am not active in discussions even as a paying user.
•Gain Steam Profile Levels (Locked to level 0) and Trading Cards

Again, for those who only play F2P games, this is a needless pain in the ass. Both TF2 and Dota have trading cards associated with them, and if players want to collect the cards and gain Steam levels with only what the Steam program will give them, they now cannot do that.
•Submit content on the Steam Workshop

Similar to Discussions, Valve probably assumed that a F2P player is not going to be invested enough to create and submit their ideas to the workshop, so why not slap that restriction on there?
•Post in an item's Steam Workshop Discussions

See discussions and workshop submissions.
•Access the Steam Web API

Someone tell me what this is.
•Use browser and mobile chat

Again, this one makes no sense whatsoever. There is no conceivable reason for Steam to disallow players from using the integrated browser. Mobile chat is linked to the friends and group chat, so they should have just said chat in general is disabled. It doesn't make it any less dumb though.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
I did a quick google search and this exact same thread was on /v/ and it was about steam starting to charge for mods

pic

[duck] 01101000 01101001 01110000 01101111 01110100 01101001 01100010 01101111 01110010
Steam itself will not be charging for mods. Valve updated the Steam workshop so that modmakers can put their mods on the workshop and require users to pay for them before they can be downloaded, with the modders getting 25% of the cut and Valve getting the other 75%, minus a few fees they have to pay on their end too. This is not to say that every mod ever will be put on the workshop behind a paywall, but it does limit the amount of immediately available mods to players, as some people are greedy bastards and will jump at the chance to get a few cents per download. Additionally, Valve and Bethesda have stated that they will only be taking care of the workshop in a very minor manner, which allows modders to literally charge whatever they want for a mod download. This does introduce an element of "buyer beware" risks, but Valve has implemented a refund policy in case a modder charges for a misleading product. Overall, not many people think it is a good idea.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
So this is just another way to get Gabe more money for his Arby melts and Big macs. Honestly I don't see the point in doing this, if your dumb enough to click on a link that's their problem

Solax was here.
literally only a problem for scrubs who used steam to dl TF2 and make profit from zero investment through the market with hats. or a problem for scrubs who only play free to play games and torrent everything else that's worth paying for. if you've been on steam for long enough, you'll find yourself spending more than $5 anyway. this isn't a big issue. i suppose the only thing in this update that you could complain about is the workshop thing, but honestly who cares? just get your mods from nexus, or hey maybe support some modders who sometimes spend actual weeks making their mods and putting them out for free.
Its not that I mind spending the $5 dollars on steam, I just think its for gaben to make more money. I also don't mind supporting mod devs buy spending like a few dollars on their mod

Solax was here.