Ranking
Original Post
[TA] | [Archived Knowledge Base] | Do not touch this.

Last edited by footlox; Nov 29, 2018 at 03:30 AM.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
Flying Scissor Sweep (Turnover technique)
This tutorial is to help teach this move called the flying scissor sweep. It's something I've been developing ever since i was a brown belt. Consider it a more advanced, offensive turnover.

Inspiration: In brazilian jiu jitsu the scissor sweep is a very basic sweep but in the real world it requires you to be laying on your back which in toribash's aikido mod would result in an immediate dq. So combining the leverage technique from the bjj scissor sweep and the "jump and post hand" technique from the sambo flying scissor leg takedown i developed a hybrid of the two techniques resulting in a stealthy turnover attack.

BJJ Inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6uK12HGmsM
Sambo Inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5jBT0DKZQo (after 5: 30 does not apply to toribash)

Step by Step: Flying Scissor Sweep Demo V2.rpl
(In each image the joint combinations are shown AFTER each turn. And yes i color coded this bitch.)
Red = Critical Joints that must be used as shown
Colors other than Red = Indicate specific limbs not joints.
Joints not mentioned are best left as they were but can be customized to your preference.
(Parenthesis indicate additional details as well as various options for joints).

1. Opener/Kick

2. Jump

3. Scissor

4. Close Guard

Replays: SS1 SS2 SS3 SS4 SS5 SS6 SS7 SS8 SS9
Attached Files
Flying Scissor Sweep Demo V2.rpl (19.6 KB, 361 views)
bjj - scissor sweep 1.rpl (60.0 KB, 82 views)
bjj - scissor sweep 2.rpl (32.9 KB, 37 views)
bjj - scissor sweep 3.rpl (22.2 KB, 23 views)
bjj - scissor sweep 4.rpl (35.9 KB, 23 views)
bjj - scissor sweep 5.rpl (33.0 KB, 25 views)
aquita - kissthis.rpl (38.5 KB, 57 views)
aquita - e14.rpl (41.0 KB, 16 views)
Last edited by footlox; Nov 6, 2015 at 12:06 AM. Reason: added all my ss replays into the body of the post
Leader of the Spyder House
Toribash Martial Artists
Aikido Principles
So I would like to start building our knowledge base a bit more. I noticed that 'Lets make a guide' thread a long time ago and i dont know if that ever led to anything but i want to take pieces of that and create an entry for our knowledge base that will cover all the most basic aspects of aikido strategy.

I am naming it Aikido Principles and hopefully when it is finished (I will say when) Snake can make this the first entry on the knowledge base. I am basing this information off of my expierence in TB aikido as well as my experience in martial arts and also my studies in analytical physics classes.

Hopefully this will get some attention and you guys can help me write. So here goes...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Aikido Principles

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attached Images
LeveragePic2.jpg (17.8 KB, 4927 views)
LeveragePic1.jpg (13.8 KB, 4917 views)
BasePic1.jpg (15.7 KB, 5013 views)
BasePic2.jpg (20.0 KB, 4231 views)
ControlPic1.bmp (632.9 KB, 4359 views)
Last edited by footlox; Oct 27, 2015 at 05:40 AM.
Toribash Martial Artists
slight content migration

+tutorials
+replay examples
Attached Files
knee_tap.rpl (38.5 KB, 149 views)
guard_sweep.rpl (73.8 KB, 110 views)
uchi_mata.rpl (78.9 KB, 306 views)
kick_check.rpl (41.2 KB, 168 views)
single_leg_suplex.rpl (73.9 KB, 54 views)
ankle_pick.rpl (33.1 KB, 45 views)
cross_pick.rpl (46.6 KB, 128 views)
armbar.rpl (57.4 KB, 86 views)
ouchi_gari.rpl (68.8 KB, 133 views)
osoto_gari.rpl (63.4 KB, 151 views)
Last edited by footlox; Sep 6, 2016 at 04:56 PM.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
I would like to see some images displaying what you are describing.
Attached Files
single_hip_throw.rpl (66.4 KB, 43 views)
pulling_guard.rpl (77.5 KB, 98 views)
roletta_sweep.rpl (44.4 KB, 51 views)
hip_sweep.rpl (49.5 KB, 117 views)
stiletto_sweep.rpl (62.7 KB, 19 views)
old_school_sweep.rpl (52.3 KB, 22 views)
half_guard.rpl (73.9 KB, 75 views)
hook_kick.rpl (52.2 KB, 139 views)
elbow_strike.rpl (46.2 KB, 115 views)
gnp.rpl (77.1 KB, 168 views)
Last edited by footlox; Dec 10, 2016 at 02:48 AM.

i am a bird now - Lil B

I can't think of a graphic to demonstrate the Momentum Principle. Any ideas?
----
Storing knowledge base replays here.
Attached Files
hook.rpl (41.0 KB, 168 views)
seoi_nage.rpl (46.7 KB, 347 views)
dynamic_gripping.rpl (49.5 KB, 89 views)
pin_pressure.rpl (79.9 KB, 88 views)
slam.rpl (52.4 KB, 109 views)
hiza_guruma.rpl (46.8 KB, 250 views)
ashi_guruma.rpl (44.4 KB, 141 views)
harai_goshi.rpl (44.3 KB, 112 views)
Last edited by footlox; Aug 25, 2016 at 03:31 AM.
Toribash Martial Artists
Originally Posted by Aquita View Post
I can't think of a graphic to demonstrate the Momentum Principle. Any ideas?

Á gif that shows alot of momentum in aikido. Maybe a on frame where you can see the ghost move.
Attached Files
spindrop.rpl (16.7 KB, 58 views)
crouch.rpl (35.9 KB, 47 views)
switch_step.rpl (22.3 KB, 56 views)
inverting.rpl (43.9 KB, 88 views)
power_cross.rpl (38.4 KB, 226 views)
uke_goshi.rpl (49.1 KB, 112 views)
tai_otoshi.rpl (36.0 KB, 131 views)
judo - kosoto gake (2).rpl (41.3 KB, 133 views)
Last edited by footlox; Apr 18, 2018 at 09:18 PM.

i am a bird now - Lil B

Hi I just want to point some things that I consider important:

Originally Posted by Aquita
-Base is a fighter's floor contact (foot/hand placement on the ground) as well as the distance their COG is from these floor contacts. Having no base means your tori has no floor contact, this is bad. For example in aikido the tori starts in a high-narrow base which is dangerous because it can be easily lifted or it's feet can be swept. It's common for openers to initially drop and widen the tori's base.

Ok then this bold part. Actually having no floor contact means your tori has no "base support", I mean, you can make your base by placing one foot on the ground, contracting other foot and using your hand grips to stay in balance. Or you can use your opponent as floor and step on him to be balanced. Hard but possible.

-Balance is a tori's horizontal distance between their floor contact and COG. For example the starting position is balanced because the COG is directly above the tori's feet on the ground thus resulting in zero horizontal distance. Break a tori's balance by forcing their COG outside of their base.

I'd say that the most accurate definition for balance is when your current position allows you to be mechanically stable, with no oscillations. Don't forget that you're balanced when you're lying down.
The definition you said is exactly what it takes to be balanced in a fight: "Maintain your cog inside your base support".

-Relativity between your base and your opponent's base can decide who is advancing in a fight. For example you want a low, balanced base relative to your opponent; or you want to have a high base weighing down an unbalanced opponent. It is difficult to break the balance of a low based opponent who has more than two floor contacts (two feet + hands) so it may be better to focus on controlling and removing these floor contacts.

-The Weak Plane can be defined as vectors connecting a tori's floor contacts and COG. You can break the opponent's balance by applying forces in directions perpendicular to this weak plane, where the tori couldn't make a base. The weak plane is always shifting but never disappears until your opponent loses their base.

I don't know much about this weak plane. But I'd suggest something more practical: The Base of support plain:

Base support is exactly the plain between your points of support, points of support can be both feet, both hands, one foot and one hand, both feet and one hand or both hands and one foot. Your COG must "fall" inside the base support in order to be balanced. Some examples of base support:

big

Also: I don't know if I got the definition of reserved movement, but I'll leave this replay of what I understood. If I'm right you can use it, if not, poke me and I'll search another replay. :v
Attached Files
Last edited by iver; Sep 13, 2015 at 08:12 PM.
Originally Posted by iver View Post
Ok then this bold part. Actually having no floor contact means your tori has no "base support", I mean, you can make your base by placing one foot on the ground, contracting other foot and using your hand grips to stay in balance. Or you can use your opponent as floor and step on him to be balanced. Hard but possible.

I expanded on what I wrote about having no base support.
What you said about using your opponent as a floor or what i would call 'base riding' (big bjj technique) i would consider that something more advanced. I wanted this to be only basic concepts but if you think its important i will include it. Let me know.

I'd say that the most accurate definition for balance is when your current position allows you to be mechanically stable, with no oscillations. Don't forget that you're balanced when you're lying down.
The definition you said is exactly what it takes to be balanced in a fight: "Maintain your cog inside your base support".

That definition is from a physics perspective that i dont think most readers would understand. Im sticking with what i read on JudoInfo. I did have something about having more floor contacts will keep you in balance better, ill expand on it.

Base support is exactly the plain between your points of support, points of support can be both feet, both hands, one foot and one hand, both feet and one hand or both hands and one foot. Your COG must "fall" inside the base support in order to be balanced. Some examples of base support:

I think what i call floor contacts and weak plane is essentially the same thing as what you call base support and base support plane. If its okay i'd rather use my own nomenclature but i will include the base plane. I will create a new graphic that better describes base, cog, floor contacts, and balance.

Also what you showed about COG-body is a good point. Do you want to write that concept? Maybe it will fit with relativity.

Also: I don't know if I got the definition of reserved movement, but I'll leave this replay of what I understood. If I'm right you can use it, if not, poke me and I'll search another replay. :v

This one was really good ill add it. But if you find anything else please share it.
Last edited by footlox; Sep 14, 2015 at 07:03 AM.
Toribash Martial Artists
you guys are missing a technique kicking and striking i cant go into detail on how to do it but its a technique i think should definitely be in there cause it can be very deadly if you know how to do it effectively. i will leave examples below of the striking technique
Attached Files
boom baby.rpl (41.4 KB, 28 views)
STATIC SHIT.rpl (63.4 KB, 19 views)
WHOOOOO.rpl (57.9 KB, 13 views)
knee split.rpl (57.7 KB, 121 views)
beautiful.rpl (47.0 KB, 33 views)
Last edited by Gravity; Sep 14, 2015 at 07:56 PM.