Ranking
I have a great story about this;
When I was in highschool, I had a friend named Ricky and he was friends with a very manipulative kid named Jerry. At lunch Jerry would throw carrots at Ricky's face and then after words ask Ricky to buy him corn dogs, and he would do it.(Ricky was not the only one that continued to take shit from Jerry, he did it to many other people.) . I've stuck up for Ricky many of times and got on to Jerry about it and tried to (maturely) get him to stop. But Ricky continued to buy Jerry corn dogs and get carrots thrown in his face. After two months, I had enough of seeing this happen and decided to help Ricky out because he was one of my good friends and I hated seeing this. Mind you this was freshman year and I was not quite wise at the time. I basically got up and started a fight with Jerry and I ended up breaking his nose so he went ahead and used this as an angle to make Ricky not be friends with me anymore. It worked, Ricky never talked to me again and Jerry continued giving him shit. Ricky was a pretty smart kid too, he got good grades and never really acted like an idiot. It's a sad fact that there are bad people out there like Jerry that are good manipulators, but use it for a wrong reason.

Moral of the story, there's correlation between push overs and manipulation for sure. But there is also a correlation between intelligence and manipulation.
Last edited by Nate; Mar 10, 2015 at 10:53 PM.
Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
Actually, being wrong means that you don't know what you are talking about.
It's not about definitions, it is about scientific facts.
IQ tests are based on the model of crystallized and fluid intelligence that I explained.
None of you people did any research before posting in this thread. I have some knowledge and experience on this particular subject so I thought it'd be nice to let you people know that you are all dead wrong.

If you cannot take the criticism, I'm sorry. I was in no way insulting or unfriendly.

I know, that the first post says “do you guys believe there is a correlation, or link, between intelligence and manipulation”, but this is no opinion based thread. I provided the answer to that question.
The ability to manipulate people requires many skills. Those skills enhance your social intelligence.

I did not provide an oversimplified explanation. I provided an explanation that is actually quite interesting and very complicated.
pls

All I could add is sources for my claims if you wish.
Though I probably won't do that because I am lazy and done for now.

Well, I'll just chip in, I do believe that to be able to manipulate someone is a rather easy task. For the more intellectual class they commonly do it, without considering the consequences or repercussions onto the person who is being used. It is abusing their trust, and using them as a ladder or tool in you goal or plan. But at the same time, as a Sociopath I find myself regularly using other people in simple manners, such as for entertainment value, or because I need something they have.
On the subject of IQ, I am 145 which I am proud of.
-----
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
I have a great story about this;
When I was in highschool, I had a friend named Ricky and he was friends with a very manipulative kid named Jerry. At lunch Jerry would throw carrots at Ricky's face and then after words ask Ricky to buy him corn dogs, and he would do it.(Ricky was not the only one that continued to take shit from Jerry, he did it to many other people.) . I've stuck up for Ricky many of times and got on to Jerry about it and tried to (maturely) get him to stop. But Ricky continued to buy Jerry corn dogs and get carrots thrown in his face. After two months, I had enough of seeing this happen and decided to help Ricky out because he was one of my good friends and I hated seeing this. Mind you this was freshman year and I was not quite wise at the time. I basically got up and started a fight with Jerry and I ended up breaking his nose so he went ahead and used this as an angle to make Ricky not be friends with me anymore. It worked, Ricky never talked to me again and Jerry continued giving him shit. Ricky was a pretty smart kid too, he got good grades and never really acted like an idiot. It's a sad fact that there are bad people out there like Jerry that are good manipulators, but use it for a wrong reason.

Moral of the story, there's correlation between push overs and manipulation for sure. But there is also a correlation between intelligence and manipulation.

I know what it's like. Though I do find headbutting them works quite well. (The manipulator, not the friend) =3
Last edited by Squigling; Mar 10, 2015 at 10:56 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
ShhhMikes Moderated Message:
I need big juicy celery sticks ;3
Loving this discussion, although I would like very clear answers. Kind of a yes or no thing. Vote here please.
http://strawpoll.me/3842939
I agree with you Redundant, I do believe that manipilation is a skill that has to be learned. I think that those who are interested in manipulation, and practice it, are usually very smart/intelligent people.

I will add to the discussion this time. I asked my therapist this question and Rob said that there is a correlation. He told me a story about how he had worked at a facility with mentally challenged adults a few years ago. He said there was one individual that was so manipulative and slick, that Rob believed he wasn't actually mentally challenged. And so I brought up the point: This man may not have been the most intelligent person, but he was far more intelligent than the rest of the mentally challenged people and also just happened to be extremely manipulative.
Last edited by Aracoon; Mar 11, 2015 at 04:27 AM.
Originally Posted by duck View Post
A more intelligent person may come up with maniulating strategies that work, but I think it works in the other way aswell. A more intelligent person is less prone to manipulation.

This is completely true. I myself, deny any manipulation that comes towards me. Whether it be something simple as saying something that isn't true about me or something large, like actually sneaking personal information and changing the way someone acts about you. There are many types of manipulation, most of them can be avoided because of intelligence. To the first part of your statement, I would probably think that even average intelligence people can create or make manipulating strategies that work.
RedPanda won't fuck his dog
Though it's true that the less intelligent/gullible you are, the more prone you are to manipulation. That's not the only case though. Those who are in great need/want of something (like those who followed Hitler;they were probably in need of food and water due to falling economy of Germany at the time) are also prone to manipulation due to their "tunnel vision". In other words, they're thinking only about the reward and little about anything else. Said people are also very easy to manipulate. And you don't have to be very smart to manipulate. You can manipulate with money, looks, or straight up authority. It takes power to manipulate, but not necessarily brain power.
...Surely you have more productive things to do then read my stupid signature...[TA]|[TF]
Originally Posted by BeanSprout View Post
It takes power to manipulate, but not necessarily brain power.

I would like to think that it takes a little but of both.
It takes brain power to get your power to begin with.
I also think that it requires brain power to be the manipulator, and that it requires much less brain power to be the manipulated.
aracoon is always manipulating me and it's not fair...

also (this is on wikipedia), according to george k. simon, manipulators tend to conceal their aggression and intentions, know the victim's vulnerabilities/downfalls, and lack empathy.
seems to me like the manipulator needs to have exceptional social skills and a good understanding of how the victim's brain works. so, intelligence (loose definition) isn't nessessarily a big part for manipulators, but rather more nessessary for the victims, like other people have mentioned.
Manipulation and Intelligence
Originally Posted by Aracoon View Post
I would like to think that it takes a little but of both.

It takes brain power to get your power to begin with.

I also think that it requires brain power to be the manipulator, and that it requires much less brain power to be the manipulated.

Yeah yeah. Obviously it takes a brain to manipulate. You know what I meant so don't be a smart azz. I'm just saying it doesn't take an highly intelligent person to manipulate others. Jeez
...Surely you have more productive things to do then read my stupid signature...[TA]|[TF]
Please stop making points which are either unrelated to the topic repetitive of previous posts, or completely obvious. Some of the things you are saying are passably competent but I feel like you are not reading all of the posts in this thread to check whether you are actually adding anything new to the discussion.

This discussion is going in circles. I feel like there are other aspects of this topic we could cover so I would rather not close this thread. If the discussion fails to advance it will be closed though.
Last edited by Ele; Mar 12, 2015 at 01:40 PM. Reason: fixed your spelling <3
Good morning sweet princess
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
Please stop making points which are either unrelated to the topic (how easy it is to be manipulated is not relevant to how easy it is to manipulate), repeats of previous posts, or completely obvious. Some of the things you are saying are passably component but I feel like you are not reading all of the posts in this thread to check whether you are actually adding anything new to the discussion.

This discussion is going in circles. I feel like there are other aspects of this topic we could cover so I would rather not close this thread. If the discussion fails to advance it will be closed though.

who the heck are you referring to? and this is the first decent thread i've seen in a while. if you're going to close it just because people are going places, then what's the point of discussion? last i heard the thread was based on manipulation and intelligence, if they're linked, etc. victims of manipulation is completely relevant if the person is referring to how intelligence (loose definition) is more useful to victims than manipulators.
infract me if i'm wrong.