Toribash
Original Post
Compulsory Enlistment
Hi guys, this is my first thread on the discussion board and I want to know your opinion on Compulsory Enlistment/Conscription/Drafting. In my country, you are obligated to enlist when you are male reach legal age, and if you are selected, you have to serve at least a year in the military before being able to resign, but since our military hasn't been in use for more than 35 years now, very few people are selected.
  • What are your stances on compulsory enlistment?
  • Dou you believe it is right, wrong, patriotic?
  • Does your country have mandatory military service? If not, should it?
  • Specially for U.S citizens, should the United States have mandatory military service?
It isn't wrong, to exactly say. In the US. Once you're 18, you must enlist. You can be drafted, but it's very unlikely. No ones been drafted like that for a very long time (you may be talking about the U.S.)

There's more people who want to be in the army. So there isn't a need to draft anyways. But if it did come to it, it's to protect the citizens.

"Dear reader, I hope this email finds you before I do."
I personally would never want to join a military organization because I'm not much of a patriot in general but I think a year's compulsory military service for youth would actually be a really good idea for education and discipline
the inner machinations of my mind are an enigma
The US of A is the land of the free and home of the brave, people deserve a choice. That's my opinion short and simple so no one gets mad at me -_- Respect it please and I'll respect your opinions too.
| Leader of FC | Loans | ABD Enthusiast |
Originally Posted by ZENBOY123 View Post
The US of A is the land of the free and home of the brave, people deserve a choice. That's my opinion short and simple so no one gets mad at me -_- Respect it please and I'll respect your opinions too.

I'm a resident of the U.S. And it is not free here. We are not the only country with freedom. We are not the best country. We only lead in 3 things. And those three things are not important.

"Dear reader, I hope this email finds you before I do."
Originally Posted by Zayex View Post
I personally would never want to join a military organization because I'm not much of a patriot in general but I think a year's compulsory military service for youth would actually be a really good idea for education and discipline

my thoughts exactly. atleast one year of military service would be excellent to develop a sense of responsibility and self defence capabilities. if we can have education based on "fak the authorities xD youre all unique and special and all governments are evil" then i dont see how this is out of the question.
oh yeah
Originally Posted by ZENBOY123 View Post

Saying that only one nation deserves a choice seems kinda racist to me, unless there is further logic behind this statement which you haven't yet revealed. And I feel like should tell you that there isn't really a way to contribute to this discussion forum without having your opinion scrutinised and most likely criticised by others. That's just the way it is and I like it that way.
Good morning sweet princess
Originally Posted by WeooWeoo View Post
In the US, Once you're 18, you must enlist. You can be drafted, but it's very unlikely. No ones been drafted like that for a very long time (you may be talking about the U.S.)

To clarify for all you non 'Muricans, the enlistment Weoo mentioned is only to say "I am able bodied and of legal age" just so the government knows how many potential soldiers they have if a mandatory draft is reinstated.

While enacting a term of mandatory military service is useful in some respects, such as fitness, respect for authority, and safe firearm handling, all of these things can be attained elsewhere. After seeing that, the only other benefit is so that the government doesn't have to worry about having a small military, and that isn't a real benefit for the individuals.

Originally Posted by Pusga View Post
if we can have education based on "fak the authorities xD youre all unique and special and all governments are evil" then i dont see how this is out of the question.

I am not familiar with this "education." Elaborate please?
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
Originally Posted by kushman666 View Post
  • What are your stances on compulsory enlistment?

Sometimes it is a helpful thing to have, however, you are giving your country rights over your life just for being a citizen and being of a certain age. That is not freedom.
  • Dou you believe it is right, wrong, patriotic?

I can see the upside of it, you know.. There are times when the country does need you, however, like I said above, they are taking away your freedom. It's not patriotic at all. Some people join the military for their country, and patriotic people like that don't need to be force to. Being forced into it because you live in your country doesn't make you patriotic, nor your country patriotic.
  • Does your country have mandatory military service? If not, should it?

USA - no, i don't think so. USA is a country that likes to butt into everyone else's business, so having more "spare" soldiers if they need them isn't good. it's too bad for countries that work that way.
  • Specially for U.S citizens, should the United States have mandatory military service?

I guess I'll talk more about what I stated above.
I love my country, but I don't want to be forced into the military just because I'm a citizen. Really, it doesn't make sense to be penalized just for being born in a certain country. Yes, that's what mandatory military service is, a penalty. I had to sign up for something where they can draft me if they need to just to sign up for financial aid for college. See, it's a penalty.
The past makes you wanna die out of regret, and future makes you depressed out of anxiety. So by elimination, the present is likely the happiest time.
Originally Posted by hawkesnightmare View Post
I am not familiar with this "education." Elaborate please?

most education is incredibly biased. almost every subject of study is taught with a predetermined moral or political position, leaving no space for the students' interpretation. this results in teachers emphasizing on how governments are "evil" and on how we should all fight them, using a few examples of when it worked in the past.
oh yeah