Toribash
Center deal, or palm/shift?

A question i often think about is whether the center deal, or the palm is the best way to surpass the cut. For it is said in Erdnase:

"Though he may run up a hand however cleverly, the cut sends him to sea again."

Hence, it is made clear that, if working alone, the clever player must find a way to either surpass, or negate the cut. I've gone through some ways this could be done. Namely the palm. But there is a way that is still considered "unconventional", despite that the method has been known to the public from ca 1933. Credit must be given to Allen Kennedy of Kansas for coming up with this move.

The move, of course is the legendarey center deal. The center deal was long considered to just be an in-joke for magicians and card hustlers, but it is very much real. While it is true i can not perform the move my self, i understand the principle behind it's execution.

So, why is it so sought after? Well, it is a way to negate the cut, and a false deal, in one. If one were to stoc, say, four Aces on the bottom, in order to bottom deal them. They would also need to bypass the cut, and then bottom deal. If they instead were proficient in center dealing, they could stock the Aces on the bottom. When the cut is completed, the aces will be burried in the middle. And the center deal can be performed. Hence, the dealer has removed one "move" from the "equation".

What are the cons if this move, then?

Well, in order to find the aces in the middle, they would either had to be crimped, or the man who cuts must cut in the traditional sense, i.e. placing the top half beside the bottom one, leaving the dealer to carry, or complete the cut. In this moment, the dealer can easily acquire a break between the packets, and by means of that "marker", he can find the Aces.

When comparing the center deal with the shift, the only con is that the center deal is a "long lasting" move, i.e. it involved maintaining a crimp, or break during the deal, hance the deck must be moved very rapidly. When performing a shift and a bottom palm, there are two "shorter" moves; the shift, and the bottom deal it self.

I must, however, give the "award for best way of negating the cut", to the palm. It is an extremely risky move, but with practice, and with a company that is not suspicious, it is a perfectly valid method.

What are the principle pros of the palm? It is completely safe from the man who cuts. I.e. the man who cuts can not in any handling of the deck, "lose" the slug, or stock, since it is out of the deck. If a cutter does a running cut, or a riffle, the Aces are lost. He could also remove the crimp. There's also the problem of the "cutter" cutting too many, or too few cards, so that the aces does not end up in the middle. This is a killing blow in games with five or more players. Take this example:

Assume five players, draw poker. So the dealer would have to deal 25 cards. Which is about half the deck. If the man who cuts cuts, say 35 cards, something that happens pretty often. The Aces, depending on where they are reserved, will end up too high up, and the covering cards would run out before you could deal them all.

In short: The center deal is a very good move, and a move that should be practiced, but i still stand with the palm as the best way to surpass the cut.