ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Canceling bets.
This is a thread concerning the ban of someone canceling bets that were around 1%. People getting banned for enforcing the 10% rule. To my knowledge, laithoon got banned for enforcing the 10% rule. I don't see how that was a problem, when he enforced a server rule, to benefit the players so tc does not sink, is ban worthy. If i bet 1million tc, and i get a 1k counter, I would want the host to cancel the bets. Seeing as you can only get 5x what you bet, you would then sink approximately 995000 tc. I don't think that banning the person who preserves this tc from simple falling into the void should be a bannable offense. My point here, allow host to enforce the 10% rule in order to prevent the sink of tc. It's utter bullshit to ban someone for trying to save TC. It's our servers, let us run it the way we want to, without the loss of TC.

i miss you ocean
Well if you think about it, whether or not you put this into the game people will still take risky bets.
Have a great day, thanks for looking at this post I guess.
cnc is an endangered resource
Originally Posted by Parrot View Post
If i bet 1million tc, and i get a 1k counter, I would want the host to cancel the bets. Seeing as you can only get 5x what you bet, you would then sink approximately 995000 tc.

you would want the host to cancel just as much as the other better would want the host not to cancel. also like it has been mentioned before in this thread, sinking tc is good and helps the economy.

besides, if youre afraid of losing your tc in the first place perhaps you shouldnt be participating in a gambling activity
oh yeah
Also, it doesn't matter if the tc is going to vanish, you will lose it anyway.

If its lost to the void that is either your fault, because you did bet too much, or your opponents fault, because he didnt bet enough so that he won't get enough profit if he wins. It's not the fault of the system.
Irl laws forbid the destruction of money, but in Toribash it is?
If you get into a situation like that then you will stop liking the rules.
Imo 20% sinkrate.
I feel that GM's and admins alike are trying to stop bet servers all together. They took away fukes, and are banning if you cancelbets. Thoughts?

i miss you ocean
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
See, this 10% nonsense is just that, nonsense. It cuts out profit for users, and puts a safety net on betting (betting is supposed to be risky, its what makes it betting??)

User 1 places 1k bet on user 2, user 3 places 100k bet on user 4. user 2 wins the round and tc gets sunk ono. Really? that sunk tc is tc that would be lost to them anyways so explain to me why it is we should make betting less risky for people who want to drop a lot of tc in a server?

1. You decrease bets by doing this. I'm no longer going to nudge myself to 1 for 100k self-bets knowing that its not going to be cancelled when/if I only get a 10k- counter.

2. This rule is created almost entirely by people who rarely even bet large sums of tc in betting servers (if at all).

3. 99% of the community thinks this is bull shit. What, is toribash a totalitarianly ruled game? Should there be a fucking rule that everyone disagrees with other than those that create the rule?

4. It's a private server. As long as it's in the MOTD, cancelling bets should be allowed at any point (Depending on what it says in the motd).
Ex. if I say in my motd, "I'm canceling bets if I feel like it," THEN DONT JOIN MY SERVER. Say to yourself, "This fucker just wasted 10k on a global," and leave.

5. Who the fuck are you to label my server rules (or anyone's server rules) as nonsense as if it's a FACT?... It's subjective, completely subjective, and if you don't like it... well, then ok, great, leave.
-----
Originally Posted by Zockinator View Post
Also, it doesn't matter if the tc is going to vanish, you will lose it anyway.

If its lost to the void that is either your fault, because you did bet too much, or your opponents fault, because he didnt bet enough so that he won't get enough profit if he wins. It's not the fault of the system.

If anyone in their right mind knowns their bet wont be countered by at least 10%, then I highly doubt they would have bet in the first place. That's like saying "Let's duel, my 1,000,000tc vs your 10,000tc" (Obviously in this case its 1%, but you get my point).
Last edited by Raid; Jun 27, 2015 at 02:03 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
JollyRogers
Sparky is a 317 pound Hump-Back Whale
Since the server is owned by me i should be able to put my own rules even when it comes to betting, if the player doesnt like these rules he can leave the server and join another one.

stopping the 10% rule makes it looks like you are trying to sink tc because of all the tc that was spawned in

but your excuse is that it makes betting noob friendly (example noob bets 100 tc a group of people counters 100k its unfair for the noob that his bet was canceled), but you see if this noob had a 100 tc bet and a 1 tc counter i can assure you he would ask for a cancel

your logic is flawed and we wont stand this without acting up
plus, this whole "bet at your own risk thing" well the risk could involve your bet being canceled because you didnt counter enough.
In my honest opinion, I think that canceling at 10% is fine as long as it is clearly stated within the MOTD. If someone wants to cancel at 20%, 30% or even 99%, let them as long as they state it in the MOTD. Just like Raid said, if it's in the MOTD and you think it's stupid, leave. If you think betting should be risky, run your own server at 0%, but also allow others who want betting to be "safer" run theirs at whatever they consider safe.