Toribash
CheGee give this time someone will reconize you as a none "noob" and soon all the "noobs" will leave the community. Though if you would like instent gratification try to join a decent clan and people will almost imidiatly exept you. You bring up a very valid point.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
From a looong time ago:
[21:56]<Blam>ManBreakfast: Frunk wants to know why you banned him from IRC
[21:56]<ManBreakfast>oh, fuck
[21:56]=-=Mode #toribash -b Frunk!*Frankie'sip by ManBreakfast
No, this just wont ever happen.
Hampa made the game free to get more ppl in and build its rep and now u want him to kick out all the noobs untill they pass a lame test and get an extra 100tc?

sorry i think this whole idea is a phailure.
kai and pid are totaly right plus make a new account 100 new tc new player should be put through something so they can't just go and play in judo wushu etc like have to win 10 matches anyway in beginner servers
i played single player for 2 weeks before even clicking that multiplayer button. :/

A noob will learn best mucking around in single player because he can learn what all the joints do first, so he can actually play.

I dont mind playing ppl that arent good at the game, i just hate explaining how the game is played, ppl click multiplayer and dont even know that the game is turn based. i think you should have to pass basic training.
Note: I didn't read anything but the first post.

Simply put, it's fine how it is.
Noobs that lose when they're supposed to lose, will learn.
Noobs that win when they're supposed to lose, will learn (and get another turn to attempt to improve).

Plus there are blackbelt servers for this.
There's no need to complicate things.
Hi. I used to be a damn good mod (wayback 2008 and earlier) and then veb made me not a mod.
Been playing competitive Team Fortress 2.
Its up to them to take the Tutorial before playing or they can jump right into the action if they wish.

we cant force em and they never will.
I had this one round in single player where I got over a million points. Then I went to go try multiplayer and I didn't get one hit off. Not even one point.

IMO, a more advanced tutorial would be the best option. Maybe a multiplayer tutorial.
Originally Posted by GabeSnake View Post
I had this one round in single player where I got over a million points. Then I went to go try multiplayer and I didn't get one hit off. Not even one point.

IMO, a more advanced tutorial would be the best option. Maybe a multiplayer tutorial.

Well, there's obviously a HUGE difference between fighting against Uke and fighting against another player. In a lot of ways, I don't think you could really consider the single player game practice for actual matches. Instead, the single player game works to give you a place to practice getting a feel for controlling your character. When you've only got a certain amount of time to pick your moves, you've got to be able to know what joints do what, and how they'll affect what you're doing without looking at the ghost for each joint movement. That only comes with lots of practice.

Also, as far as a multiplayer tutorial goes, I don't quite know how that would work. Multiplayer is such a different animal than single-player, as you can't really plan multiple moves ahead like you can against the motionless Uke. Sure, flipping through the air and kicking your opponent in two sounds like a neat plan and all, but when your opponent rips your leg off mid-flip, then you've got to be able to improvise and try something else.

I played a fair amount of multi-player before the game went completely free, and I've been playing a ton after all the servers opened up to free users, and I'm just now getting to the point where winning isn't some stroke of pure luck. One thing to consider trying is sticking to one game mode instead of hopping around. Classic works a whole lot different than Sambo, which is worlds different from Wushu, etc. I've found that I generally prefer Sambo, which focuses more on grappling and controlling the other player's momentum than just tearing each other apart with strikes. Sticking with one game mode will give you the chance to refine your skills at it.

Also, try and play on servers with less people. It seems obvious, but it really does make the learning process easier when you've only got to sit through one or two fights after losing instead of seven or eight. It makes it easier to just relax and experiment.

And speaking of experimenting, don't be afraid to. Sure, there are some opening moves that work better than others in most modes, but I've gotten some seriously lucky wins by doing something completely random just to see what would happen.
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Simply put, it's fine how it is.
Noobs that lose when they're supposed to lose, will learn.
Noobs that win when they're supposed to lose, will learn (and get another turn to attempt to improve).

Originally Posted by Kai-Tiger View Post
Its up to them to take the Tutorial before playing or they can jump right into the action if they wish.

we cant force em and they never will.

Correct; correct. Done.

If someone doesn't know how to play, then they'll learn (eventually) or lose interest. I don't see what the problem is, providing they don't attempt to join tourneys. Noobs who can't play will always exist in every game. It's a fact.

And to those who are saying they practiced for some long period on singleplayer before playing with other people, all I can say is: Good for you. You've obviously got the presence of mind that a fair few lack. I'm pretty sure that everyone spends/spent some time in singleplayer, even if that time was small.

Toribash is an inherently competitive game. People who don't know how to compete lose. Problem over, in my eyes.