Ranking
3 pages in and already baiting, cowmeat? This is going to go really well.

Pouffy: I'd argue that atheism is basically a religion at this point for a minority of people. It's practically a cult of god-hating weirdos who are super convinced they're right (which sounds like every religious cult if you get rid of the god-hating part).

As to blaming terrorism on religion... as a few of you have, I can't agree with this at all. If anyone has strong beliefs in something, they'll do anything for it if they're convinced it's better than whatever the other result is. Religion is probably the closest link to terrorism because it has a strong impact on many people's lives.
I think I might be retired.
I just want to help clear this up

Religion isn't fucked up

People are fucked up

When fucked up People use religion to do fucked up things, thats even more fucked up.

This ain't about religion. It's about people.

What grohenscrub said...
Last edited by NiteNite; Nov 10, 2015 at 03:01 PM.
I deleted my sig cuz clan bai nao
Originally Posted by NiteNite View Post
I guess most of us can agree that religion, or more so how it was/is used has done more bad then good for society in general.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Religion provides a good framework on how to be a decent person (for the most part) when done correctly and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I'm not a religious person myself but I understand the importance of that for some people. People are always going to find a reason to alienate or even kill each other, religion is just another excuse as far as I'm concerned.
You don't need religion to know right from wrong. Few might even say it is unnecessary. But thats besides the point.

Tell me why you believe the use of religion has done more good then bad. I see more people dying over it then thriving over it. (If thats what you meant
You don't need religion to know right from wrong. Few might even say it is unnecessary. But thats besides the point.

Tell me why you believe the use of religion has done more good then bad. I see more people dying over it then thriving over it. (If thats what you meant

Like I said I'm not a religious person but you keep using blanket statements based on what the news reports and what we hear about. News articles about people being nice and doing kind things don't sell like death and destruction. That's just how the media is.

And for the record I don't think you need religion to be a decent person but in most cases (from my viewpoint in America at least) it usually doesn't hurt. I think you pay too much attention to the vocal minority.
You seem to be avoiding my question. Is it because you do not wish to answer it? Or is it because you don't have an answer?

I do agree with your statement,"You don't need religion to be a decent person".

(You don't even know where I get my sources from XD. I certainly understand how media is so I assure you my foundation does not come from such an unreliable source.)
Tell me why you believe the use of religion has done more good then bad.

this is an objectively bad question for discussion because we're supposed to be arguing with facts, not opinions. I'm not going to answer it because there's really no right answer in this context. it's loaded. do you think there's more bloodthirsty religious zealots than there are decent people that happen to be religious? how do you measure one against the other? the question can't really be answered.
If we are talking only about indisputable facts, then there would be nothing to argue about. It's questions like these that keep discussion threads going man. I mean, the title is a question, so feel free to express your opinion brohamsandwich.

lets talk about something else :P
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
So a religious person cannot commit genocide?

Well I'm sorry, I just didn't think you were so stupid, that youd say that the holocaust was caused by of atheism, a.k.a not believing in a god.

Thats all

"We can talk about Stalin as well if you like. The purges were pretty horrific. I am not a historian and am very busy at the moment so I'm not going to try to argue either way, but I'm pretty sure the world wars had higher death counts than the crusades."

In previous posts you imply atheism cause WW2, so how can I not think you are trolling.

I'll just leave this convo.

Firstly, stop making a big deal out of rage quitting threads. Literally nobody actually cares except trolls to whom it is a victory. My point was that you claim there are evils which religious people are capable off and that atheists are not, while Hitler, widely considered the personification of human evil, rejected Christianity. What can religious people (read "anyone") do which is worse than the holocaust, something which did not require religion.

As far as I can tell, I don't need the purges to be caused by atheism for you to be wrong. I just need them to be committed by atheists. If you get angry at me focusing too much on a single part of your argument then please consider that you just used me "implying" that WWI and WWII were caused by atheists as an argument against me. My point was that religion was irrelevant to it, and the nations might as well have been atheist because it was the result of human nature.

If you want my actual opinion on something other than how dumb your arguments are, then how about this; people are shitty sometimes. If you take away religion you make space for hero and leader worship which can be just as bad. Take North Korea for example, they practically worship their leaders, but I would argue that it is not a religion. Kim Jong Un could probably (if he was a better leader with more resources) get the country to do horrible, terrible things in a quasi-religious way. No religion needed, just human nature. Dumb people are going to believe in something, so make it something worthwhile. People can misinterpret it, but they are taught to do this by people who would just find a non religious ideology otherwise. People in shitty situations don't need religion to teach them to be shitty, they can do it all by themselves.
Good morning sweet princess
All religions have brilliant morals, love, share, help others. I don't think it matters if you believe in "god" but I think almost everyone believes in the message religions bring or at least should. The message being, love, share help others etc.

The whole Atheist are Hitler argument is stupid in my opinion. It doesn't matter what you believe in or don't believe in, you can be a nice person regardless if you are religious or not.

and if you think someone is trolling or flaming.... just don't respond to them srsly.