ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Are we too dependent on computers?
Do people now-a-days rely on computers too much in their lives?

I'll share my opinion once this topic gets going.
Ninjutsu Club.
Ninjutsu Club Leader.

Retired, at least for now.
Computers are a great source of information and knowledge, but so are books and magazines, yet people don't often bother with them anymore. So yes, I do think that people in general are a little too focused on computers, but 'dependant' isn't the word I would use, since people can, and have, lived without technology for years, and some still continue to do so.
Is there a specific thing that you want to discuss?
No, computers are useful, but very few are 'dependant' on them.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
It depends on what you see as dependence.

If you're speaking about "are people on facebook too much", I agree.
If you're speaking about "the entire technology grid that can make everything crash if something goes wrong with it!", I agree
If you're speaking about "nobody reads books anymore and everyone is on their smartphones!", I agree.

Socially speaking, older people (who weren't born with an iPhone as their babysitters) can use computers more as tools than the generations born in the internet era. They do what they need and usually don't waste much time with it, even when they understand that not finding the annex in their email doesn't mean the computer got a virus.
Economically speaking, we are in a time of real dependence on the information systems we built.

If for whatever reason all circuits were to fry tomorrow, the world as we know it right now would be byebye in no time. The growth in human population was only made possible by extensive research and upgrades into agricultural practices (be it to grow grains to feed humans, or to feed animals, to then feed humans), all of which are integrated nowadays with either the information market (stock market to sell all those commodities) or some automated process inside a factory. Not to speak of the financial market itself, banking systems, all the way down to people seeing the red sign and stopping so they don't run into another car.

So yeah, we're hella dependent.
No, but it is annoying when your Friends you are hanging out with face to face can't put his fucking phone down, so as a friend hanging out face to face I tell him to put the god damn phone down for a bit.
I think the main attraction of computers is how little effort they require to be entertained by. TV is similar but you have less control and more advert time. Books are pretty easy but you can lose concentration and they are not always as exciting as the internet.

They are also better at communication and all that jazz but people don't really use Facebook for that as much as they used to, it is just random videos people have liked now.

I am not really sure how much is too much. Excessive screen-time has proven negative effects on health but so do a whole load of things. I think the real danger is that you choose to spend time on a computer simply because it is easy rather than because you think it will provide more entertainment than other options. I believe that there are people who make computers too big a part of their lives when it doesn't actually make them as happy as they might be otherwise, but I also think that some people do not credit computers and the internet for all the entertaining and interesting things it can provide and therefore ignore it without trying it. A lot of people don't see professional gaming as a real job but I believe that if someone feels like it will make them happy then they should be allowed to try it.
Good morning sweet princess
Gaming gives some people ridiculous reflexes, despite the fact that it's unhealthy.
Some people are dependent on computers, but the majority of the population isn't really. I find it difficult to go a day without using a computer but usually I find something else to do after a while of just sitting there being confused.

Really depends on what your PoIidea of 'dependent' is.

why did i write point of interest?
Last edited by Dscigs; Oct 21, 2014 at 09:47 PM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
|Replay|ORMO|
Most of us are spending their time in fron of a PC because of the gaming from our days -_-
In one aspect, yes, we are dependent on computers: if every form of 'computer' were to disappear suddenly, the whole world, especially the west, would end in a crisis.

In another aspect, no, most people can live without coming in contact with a PC outside of their job.
f=m*a syens
Well I think computers are great, but I don't think it is as safe as it's supposed to be. I think computers can get a little out of hand with what you download and stuff because the stuff that are being downloaded are sometimes viruses that you can't get rid of. Like for example I have a desktop computer that I have had for 4 years and It had a virus 2 years ago. 2 years later (June 2014), my desktop has an even bigger virus now my desktop I can no longer use anymore. Now I just use my laptop that I pretend to have as a desktop.
The Smoke Will Never Clear
#LLPS 💙💫