ES Recruitment Drive
i see im not the only one with nothing to do xD
-----
WARNING (not-philosophical post)
Last edited by Onsola; Feb 5, 2015 at 03:06 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
<Xioi> Become one with the bleach
Steam
The man in the church says our purpose is to please the creator.
The lady in the science lab says our purpose is to find out how it all works.
The philosopher says our purpose in life is to give life a purpose.
Nature says our purpose is to reproduce and continue our species.

Life, objectively, has no purpose or meaning. It's like asking what does a fork mean to you. What does a flower mean to you. But our goal or aim in life is a different question I think. To me it's to find joy, conquer fear, live morally, make a difference in the world, help others and then be proud and happy when it all ends and live on in the memories of my friends and family. But in the long run nothing you do will matter so just chill and enjoy your time.

Used this as a pick up line. Result: got laid. ~Hero
Last edited by Hero; Feb 5, 2015 at 03:59 AM.
I think this meaning/goal of life stuff may be catched by the thought of traveling in time. Think of predestination. If traveling in time is possible predestination also exist. Wondering what predestination is? There is also a film about it. Basicly it's when you are your own parents because of time travel. (there are rare occasions when a female can be turned into a male with a complete sexual life).

So if predestination exists we have an example for a system without any meaning. But if we have such an example the hole existence must be without purpose. The opposite theory would be an existence with causes, reasons and purpose but in such a system predestination would be impossible. You know, how could something exist without formal causes in such a system? But if traveling in time is possible predestination do exists and than there cant be any purpose in existance.

It is already convinced that mathematicaly traveling in time is possible. But does mathematics write down the world pefectly? And is mathematics enough reason to accept such a thing?
Last edited by Uncas23; Feb 5, 2015 at 10:20 PM.
"Why?"
Coming from an atheistic/biological point of view we have no purpose or than to reproduce and evolve. We are just super intelligent primates. The best way I put it is you are the one who finds a purpose.
Last edited by jump; Feb 5, 2015 at 10:58 PM.
I don't thing reproduction is a purpose. Reproduction is something which helps us pass our genetic traits onto offspring and thusly a lot of the features we have evolved are for the purpose of helping us reproduce. But I feel like this sort of purpose is not the same as a more philosophical, aim or reason for existing and is entirely coincidental. I feel like a true purpose needs to have some sort of intent to its creation so simple cause and effect reproductive urges don't really fit in with my idea of a purpose. But then again, this is a literary issue about definition rather than a philosophical one. I have in the past called myself a nihilist but I am not. The only thing which prevents me from the complete disenchantment with morality or meaning beyond physical measurements is my superbly well evolved human nature. The problem with nihilists is they don't survive as well in dangerous situations on account of not caring if they die. This isn't a very good eviction art trait and therefore to truly reject morality and meaning completely is very tricky to do. Despite agreeing with the philosophy of nihilism I can't accept, believe or even comprehend its implications.

Thanks for reading.
Good morning sweet princess
An interesting topic, but in answer to it I'd have to agree with Solax and the subjectivity of the topic : Different people, with different experiences, different views stemming from those experiences and different beliefs, will have different answers to the question. In absence of such for an individual, the answer would be 'none'.

For me personally, as a result of my life experiences, which lead to certain beliefs being held, I feel the purpose of our existence is to experience life, the ups, the downs, joy, love, anger, sadness etc etc. We are here to take it all in. I attempt to make my existence an enjoyable one for myself and others.
Originally Posted by protonitron View Post
I don't thing reproduction is a purpose. Reproduction is something which helps us pass our genetic traits onto offspring and thusly a lot of the features we have evolved are for the purpose of helping us reproduce. But I feel like this sort of purpose is not the same as a more philosophical, aim or reason for existing and is entirely coincidental. I feel like a true purpose needs to have some sort of intent to its creation so simple cause and effect reproductive urges don't really fit in with my idea of a purpose. But then again, this is a literary issue about definition rather than a philosophical one. I have in the past called myself a nihilist but I am not. The only thing which prevents me from the complete disenchantment with morality or meaning beyond physical measurements is my superbly well evolved human nature. The problem with nihilists is they don't survive as well in dangerous situations on account of not caring if they die. This isn't a very good eviction art trait and therefore to truly reject morality and meaning completely is very tricky to do. Despite agreeing with the philosophy of nihilism I can't accept, believe or even comprehend its implications.

Thanks for reading.

You shouldn't rely too much on your feelings in such a topic. I mean we need reasons to accept your opinion.
"Why?"
How is anything I say unreasonable? Surely the ridiculous lengths a great proportion of the population go to just to justify their belief that their life has a purpose proves the human tendency to fail to comprehend our own pointlessness. While supporting those who do believe in religion for bracing such a natural urge to find meaning, I can't say I find any of it at all sensible, even the idea that a cosmic entity gives a damn about any of us is really hard to justify. I just accept that my sense of purpose is an entirely meaningless delusion to stop me giving up in life.

To quote a band I love: "be more constructive with your feedback please"~flight of the concords.
Good morning sweet princess
How is anything I say unreasonable? Surely the ridiculous lengths a great proportion of the population go to just to justify their belief that their life has a purpose proves the human tendency to fail to comprehend our own pointlessness. While supporting those who do believe in religion for bracing such a natural urge to find meaning, I can't say I find any of it at all sensible, even the idea that a cosmic entity gives a damn about any of us is really hard to justify. I just accept that my sense of purpose is an entirely meaningless delusion to stop me giving up in life.

To quote a band I love: "be more constructive with your feedback please"~flight of the concords.

To assert that our lives are pointless, is unreasonable in itself. Subjectively, it can be viewed as such. Based on incomplete knowledge regarding life, the universe and existence, it could be viewed as such, but it cannot be ascertained as such - we do not posses the knowledge to be sure of this claim, much in the same way we cannot assert the picture a 1000-piece puzzle will form, based on a few pieces.

Time and again I meet people, assured of their beliefs, unwavering in their points of view, as these views are based on 'reason and logic'

Consider things viewed as 'facts', concluded through logic, through reason, a 1000 years ago, are not regarded as such today.
Consider things viewed as 'facts', concluded through logic, through reason, a 100 years ago, are not regarded as such today.
Consider the vast amount of information we do not yet possess in our present day. How many of our facts will be regarded as such in a 100 years, in 1000 years?

even the idea that a cosmic entity gives a damn about any of us is really hard to justify.

Funnily enough, a 'minion' in a god-game I played (I do not recall the name), said something along this exact same line.
Silligoose: It is not possible to prove scientific discoveries with logic. We need the scientific method for that.
I also don't think you understand what a fact is.
Additionally an appeal to the future is a fallacy.