Ranking
Original Post
BattleForge [Free to play somewhat non generic PC game]

Since I have not played this game yet, I'll quote a review from Gamespot.

Originally Posted by Gamespot
Hybridization in PC games has rarely been as ambitious and as well executed as in BattleForge, which expertly merges real-time strategy play with a collectible card game, thereby spawning its own genre, the RTS card game. The result is an innovative RTS game that rewards thinking on your feet, and a card game that puts thousands of opponents at your fingertips and brings your fantastic minions to life. Despite a few imperfections, BattleForge has the potential to captivate fans of both of its component genres.

At its core, BattleForge is a real-time strategy game with a seamlessly integrated card game mechanic. You control an army of fantasy creatures, ranging in size from tiny to gargantuan, and undertake missions, which are resolved through real-time battles with standard point-and-click controls and an excellent drag-and-drop control group interface. Instead of building structures to produce units, you summon your forces directly onto the battlefield by playing cards from your onscreen deck. Likewise, you can summon defensive towers and cast healing, damage, and crowd-control spells in the same manner.

Playing RTS matches in BattleForge is a blast, but you can also derive hours of enjoyment outside the battlefield by planning, designing, and tweaking your virtual decks. There's no limit to the number of different decks you can make, so there's no limit to the number of classes or "specs" you can play with the same character. Each deck can have up to 20 cards, and each card belongs to one of four schools of magic--fire, frost, nature, or shadow--and is color-coded red, blue, green, or purple, respectively. Similarly, the crucial orbs you control on the battlefield are color-coded, and you need to decide what color orb to build when you capture a monument. To play a shadow card, for instance, you must have a purple orb, and so on. Figuring out how many orbs and what colors you need may sound complicated, but it's executed with a simple and intuitive dot system.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...ge/review.html

BattleForge coming from EA seems like a promising game, it's not new, but it has called my attention and I am rather picky when it comes to gaming so here I am sharing it with you after Gugu told me about it. BattleForge looks somewhat entertaining, I wouldn't say that I'd love it but how many other RTS card based MMOs are out there? I'd give it a shot.

Images

Videos

Minimum system requirements.

People from Toribash currently playing;
Alan - Doclan
Gugu - Nosniide
Last edited by Alan; Aug 2, 2011 at 05:47 AM.
Games like this tick me off. A chipset family cannot comprehend such good graphics.
That guy named Poppo
You know, the leader of Fyre.
The game isn't that demanding either, I've listed the minimum system requirements since nobody else does, ever.
Played this with friends, I didn't like the fact that it takes so long to get cards without buying. That is all.
Is this an rts, or rpg?

Looks pretty fun, I've seen it before, the card thing kinda turned me off.
TP|Guardians| Hai. Watz upz.
played this ages ago , honestly I got bored after a while
im good at league
i barely ever check this forum anymore, to reach me go to my twitter
Originally Posted by SoBscout View Post
Is this an rts, or rpg?

Looks pretty fun, I've seen it before, the card thing kinda turned me off.

An RTS, you use cards (decks) to summon monsters and things and control them on the battlefield. You capture points and elements to summon bigger and better cards you have, eventually, if you're doing PvP, it turns into a "who paid real money for their deck wins" thing or "who played for a year and managed to pick up a card every day"
Originally Posted by Lume View Post
Played this with friends, I didn't like the fact that it takes so long to get cards without buying. That is all.

I would expect that from EA, since they imbalance all of their free to play games with cash shops.
Basically you can collect a gift of 1 card every day (24 hour cycle) and that's the ONLY cards you will ever get without buying them with real money. There is hundreds of different cards and the chances of you getting a dupe are extremely high and also the chances of you getting a really shitty one is extremely high. I remember I got a really good water element iirc, required 4 water elements (?) and was extreme to the max. Too bad three of the friends I was playing with only got shitty defensive spells and basic units throughout the weeks we played.

However, doing the AI challanges ARE fun, I'm not going to lie.