Toribash
Original Post
What do we lose when inactive
Made a replay yesterday and quickly found myself struggeling to do stuff I'd usually be able to pull off in MP.
What exactly happens to us when we stop playing the game? The answer is obviously "skill" but what is skill?
We've all discussed this at some point but found no clear answer
I think striking it from this angle may be a good idea

Also on a side note, does anyone actually use the slowmo/speedup feature and if, for what?
I hadn't touch tb for about 7 months and I'm coming back and it's really confusing. like I know what I'm doing but I don't
Maybe we just lose that touch.

I know if I stop for a couple months and come back I don't have the flow and movements are a bit harder, but once you keep playing and knock the rust off it gets easier. I feel when I take a break and come back I get better.

Also, its largely based on who you play and what mods. If you play ABD all day and all you do is snapkick and lift, you are limiting yourself and almost setting a skillcap. Sparrers are always more fluent than strict MP players.
Veni , Vidi , Vici
Originally Posted by Granby View Post
Maybe we just lose that touch.

I know if I stop for a couple months and come back I don't have the flow and movements are a bit harder, but once you keep playing and knock the rust off it gets easier. I feel when I take a break and come back I get better.

Also, its largely based on who you play and what mods. If you play ABD all day and all you do is snapkick and lift, you are limiting yourself and almost setting a skillcap. Sparrers are always more fluent than strict MP players.

are you even in ORMO?
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
are you even in ORMO?

its not a big deal, i dont see how this thread should be ormo exclusive

Originally Posted by Granby View Post

however the topic is on singleplayer so i guess stick to that please
oh yeah
I don't think we lose "skill", but we lose what I'm going to refer to as "protocols".
For example: if you've been playing everyday for a while you have protocols for every bit of replaymaking that you did in that period. Take boomhits for instance. If all you've been doing is boomhits for a substantial amount of time, you have a protocol to get those big booms easily. This protocol was subconciously made, and executed when it was needed.

When you leave you forget these protocols and when you come back you start forming these protocols again.

"But fudgie..." I hear you say. "Sometimes I spend hours on getting this one boomhit, while the day before I was done in 10 minutes."
This is probably because you were in a completely different position the day before, and already had a protocol established for it. By spending hours on this boomhit in a position you are making a more refined protocol, for all sorts of booms.
In this example we also see protocols aren't always useful and need refining, so sometimes when you leave for a while and come back you can make a better protocol.

This could also explain why I'm suddenly shit at -9.82 when I did mostly -30 for a week or two.

But hey, that's just a theory. A TORIBASH theory. Thanks for reading.
alright guy
I lose my creativity. I didn't touch tb for 2 weeks, came back couldn't do shit and that was 3 months ago.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
|Replay|ORMO|
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
are you even in ORMO?

But anyways what you really lose is basically what fudgie said, those little things you had to fix a certain problem, booms, doing a cork, all of that. You just tend to forget the little things you learned over the time you made replays that made making them easier.

But good news is that it's easy to get them back.
<BISH> kick chan my modes are moving on their own~
<Shook> FLAGGOTS
I think it's just that when we haven't played for a long time, we tend to think we are rusty and therefore try hard not to screw up, hence over-editting and then fuck up. Plasebo effect.
Parkour like you've never seen before:
http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=423045