ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Help with motherboard
Recently I've been planning on building my first Desktop. I've been using PCPartpicker which is amazing btw. 5/5 Stars and 10/10. However whenever I add the Intel i7 4790k to the parts list then all motherboards become incompatible. It says that the 4790k uses a LGA-1150 socket but when I use the motherboard compatibility filter and set it up so it's specs are compatible with all my parts nothing shows meaning they are all incompatible. I adjust the filter for DDR4 RAM and LGA-1150 socket which should be fine. I find it impossible that there is no LGA-1150 motherboard that supports DDR4 RAM. Could be that they got the socket wrong on the 4790k and it actually supports LGA2011-3 too. The GPU I have in the parts list is the EVGA GeForce 970 FTW+ ACX 2.0+. I removed the case to make sure that the dimensions of the case weren't restricting the filter to show any motherboards. Any suggestions? Does the 4790k support LGA2011-3? If the filter is wrong can you tell me what motherboards do work with the 4790k so I can select it manually? This is gonna be my first build so yeah. Thanks in advance guys.
| Leader of FC | Loans | ABD Enthusiast |
DDR4 is on 2011-3 only at the moment. Your choices of CPU on the 2011-3 socket are i7-5820K, i7-5860X, i7-5930K (the i7-5820K is the only one priced under $500) - there are some xeons but I wouldn't recommend them unless you want to spend over $1k. The 4790k is 1150 socket (the number in the socket, like 2011 or 1150 is the number of pins, so you can't just put a a CPU with 1150 pins into a socket with 2011 holes).

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80648i75820k
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80648i75960x
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80648i75930k
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
ImmortalPig Tech Guru to the rescue! And dear god no :O No wonder all those people using 4790k CPUs in their builds kept on using DDR3 RAM it was driving me insane I was like WTF IS THEIR PROBLEM! I thought it was an error with the filter or website for sure. Any chance that LGA-1150 will support DDR4 any time soon? If not then I might just need to go for a 5820k CPU. And thank you for the pins thing it made me LOL XD Is the 5820k on par with or better than the 4790k? Higher numbers in the item name but manufacturer's often trick us with higher numbers. They have a Graphics Card with 4GB RAM and sell it for 200$ named Graphics Beast 1200XZ then make a Graphics Card with 5GB RAM named Graphics Beast 1600XZ and sell it for 400$ and we buy it because of higher numbers even ignoring that the RAM prices are all wrong and we're paying for 8GB really and that we don't even need that extra 1GB most likely.
Where on earth are you getting a 5Gb GPU?

Also for the most part go with i5 over i7, i7 adds little if you're planning to use the machine for gaming.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[4:37 PM] ponf: y'all might think i'm not wild enough to send dick pics over toribash
[4:37 PM] ponf: you'd be wrong
uwu i wuv you uwu
Originally Posted by ZENBOY123 View Post
Any chance that LGA-1150 will support DDR4 any time soon?

I haven't heard anything, as far as I know it will never be supported. It requires a whole new chipset (x99) so it's a considerable amount of work and I don't even know if they are compatible at all.

Is the 5820k on par with or better than the 4790k?

Depends, the 5820k has more cores (6 vs 4, and thus more threads, 12 vs 8 ) and better cache (15mb vs 8mb) so it will perform better on multithreaded and with high numbers of cache hits/cache misses on the 4790k. It doesn't perform quite as well on single threaded applications though.

All in all I think it's better.

even ignoring that the RAM prices are all wrong and we're paying for 8GB really and that we don't even need that extra 1GB most likely.

GPUs use a different kind of RAM called GDDR (normal ram is DDR) so it has different prices and specifications (for example higher bandwidth, but also higher latency).

Larger amounts of GPU RAM are useful for data processing, but not so much for gaming. Actually some people say that 1gb GDDR5 is enough for graphics cards. I'm not convinced personally, but higher end nvidia cards certainly have more than you could use when gaming.

Originally Posted by Neko View Post
Also for the most part go with i5 over i7, i7 adds little if you're planning to use the machine for gaming.

Not much choice in 2011 socket tho
This is true, incompatibility sucks. How's the build treating you otherwise zenboy, you okay building a PC?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[4:37 PM] ponf: y'all might think i'm not wild enough to send dick pics over toribash
uwu i wuv you uwu
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
This is true, incompatibility sucks. How's the build treating you otherwise zenboy, you okay building a PC?

Aww thanks Neko it's nice of you to ask :) Yeah it's been fun. I've been choosing parts so far. I look forward to using the build when I'm done with choosing parts and assembling it :D
-----
The 5GB GPU was just an example of Manufacturer's Tactics XD And I'll be using the build for Gaming as well as Recording, Editing & Streaming. I appreciate you guys helping me out. And Games are Single-Thread right? Even so I'll still be Streaming & Recording while Gaming so Multi-Threads will continue to be a factor. And yeah the 4790k has a faster clock. And I would use an i7 since I'll have a lot of load on my CPU with the Gaming, Recording, Streaming & Video Editing and it's better for the future since it has a faster clock especially after overclocking. Video Editing will be a big factor and the SSD should also help that. I'll just move Recordings from my HDD to my SSD when Editing them. Should I go for the extra 0.7GHz base clock on the CPU or the DDR4-2133 RAM? I'm definetly thinking RAM. DDR4 compatibility is very important especially for the future. And the 5820k is overclockable anyway. Thoughts? Thanks again in advance.
Last edited by Merc; Oct 14, 2015 at 10:38 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Most games now days are multithreaded, so I would expect performance is roughly equal if not on the side of the 5820k in most real world situations.

I'd stick with 2011 socket if I had the money for it.
Alright any motherboard suggestions? What manufacturer? EVGA? They make great GPUs so
MSI have a really nice motherboard used for streaming games that's not actually that expensive, it's on the steep side but has an interested streaming switch so it won't drain any recourses outside of that. It costs more than your regular motherboard of course but it was a consideration for me. I don't stream at all so I opted for another MSI board which runs really well
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
uwu i wuv you uwu