ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
About lightning...
I'm in a thunderstorm with lotsa lightning right now, so is it best to turn off and/or unplug my machine until it's over?
i liek turtelz xd
I don't think so, I think computers have surge protectors, but I would probally turn it off anyway.
computers don't, some powerstrips do, and lightning can still short out things with surge protectors, you're probably not going to be hit by it though..

[T]
#hi

Ohai, I will shutdown if the storm is right overhead. I once lost a modem and strangely a cd stereo player due to lightning striking the phonelines outside my house. Phone was fine..just glad I wasn't using it at the time
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Choo! Choo!
I've had a powerplug blown clean out of my wall before thanks to lightning. Unplug absolutely everything.
infamous
Jesus, I didn't realise it was this serious. What is it that computers have that protect them from lightning strikes, I did it in college but I don't remember.
The worst experience with lightning I've had was when the kitchen light bulb exploded into very sharp projectiles. Luckily no one was in the room.
[21:47]<B0sS>Alphonse: FUCK YOU AND YOUR SIG
[21:48]=-=Alphonse was booted from #clandoxa by YOU (B0sS)
I think we are going a little off topic here.

No, I'm sure there is something that protects computers from lightning streaks, I really don't know what it is.. its annoying me now.
My Grandmother once had a TV blow up because of a direct hit of lightning.

I doubt a computer will though. Just probably short out and D/C.
Fonzie be with you.
It had something to do with Electro-static discharge bands that we used in college when stripping down machines, it grounds the person to disipate the static. The same principels applies.