Ranking
Original Post
"Justice is justly represented blind, because she sees no difference in the parties concerned. She has but one scale and weight, for rich and poor, great and small."
-William Penn

Justice is fair, regardless of those involved, it punishes those who have caused displeasure to others. (I'm basing this off a Utilitarian view.)
The greater the displeasure, the greater the consequence.

I realise this imposes a view deciding what is "good" and "bad", but as it is a very simple one, I tend to agree with it. Those who harm, receive harm or punishment of some kind.

The most just action would be to follow the "An eye for an eye" plan, yet this doesn't seem to solve the problem. So justice, for me, should be a punishment of equal magnitude, but of a different kind.

The most simple example would be murder.
When a murder occurs and the killer is caught, the time spent in jail should be equivalent to the potential beneficial time the murdered person could have contributed to those around him or her. Essentially, the time the victim had left within his/her life span.
On the off chance the victim was not having any benefit yet the death still caused harm or displeasure to those around him/her, the time spent in jail should be equal to a reasonable amount of time the people are feeling harmed. (approx 0.5-1.5 years I'd say.)

This can be applied to various other scenarios.

On a side note, if the person is to be locked away for a time greater than the average life span, they would be put to death to save on money and prison space.

"Life is a machine, and we are but it's simple pieces."
-Unknown
-- Jet -- Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. --
[Secret]AikidoKP

Cogito ergo sum. I think therefor I exist.

I know it's true because it says so right here in this signature.
Read this topic; http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=267319

and you will prob understand that we can discuss this for weeks...

Back to topic;
1. Begin with Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice

2. Read this book: http://www.archive.org/details/AlfredAyer
Then you should be able to define Truth and Logic, two fundamental bases of justice,
when you've read this book, I'd recommenced you to read some "topics" or "works" on justice on the "Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy"; http://plato.stanford.edu/

i myself fight for a slight alteration of John Lockes "justice of virtue", but it varies in relation to subject.
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!
In the United States, "justice" is a term that is often thrown around without much thought given to its meaning. Every day, millions of children recite the Pledge of Allegiance, which they conclude with the words "with liberty and justice for all". In front of many of our courtrooms, Lady Justice looms tall with a blindfold on and the scales of justice in her hands. But what is justice? This article will attempt to answer that question.

Justice is a concept which has been argued about by philosophers since the beginning of history. In his book "The Republic", Plato conceptualizes justice as a harmonious relationship between the various parts of a city or nation. A just city would have a nice balance between the ruling class, the warrior class, and the working class. Each would be treated fairly for the betterment of the overall society. Similarly, a just man would harmoniously balance the conflicting desires within himself so that he is a fair, good, and happy man.

The concept of justice has always been intimately tied to the idea of fairness, and it has always been associated with the idea of rationality. Everyone wants to live in a society which is fair. When a case goes before the Supreme Court, the judges (or justices) are expected to rationally deliberate long and hard about the fairest course of action.

The opposite of a just society would be a tyrannical society. This would be a society that is ruled by the whims of a single man or a small group of men who make decisions based on their own self-interest rather than the interest of the society as a whole. Interestingly, Plato thought that the only way for a truly just society to exist would be to have a "philosopher king", a wise man who carefully made decisions based on the interests of the society at large. He didn't think that a democracy by majority rule was very efficient at making the right decisions.

Justice and personal virtue (or morality) are two closely related, but distinct ideas. Justice could be thought of as the morality that we agree upon as a society and make into laws. Of course, there are endless debates about what these laws should be, and they are constantly changing. One of the most famous moral philosophers, Immanuel Kant, sums it up by saying:

"The duty of virtue is essentially distinguished from the duty of justice in this respect; that it is morally possible to be externally compelled to the latter, whereas the former rests on free self-constraint only."

By externally compelled, Kant means that the laws of our society can compel us to act in a more or less just manner. The government has the power to punish or imprison us if we do not follow these laws. However, Kant doesn't think that merely following laws makes someone a virtuous person. That takes harder work, and is based on our own personal system of morality.

Chris Pine spends his days working in the trash can industry. In his spare time, he pursues his passion of reading and writing about a wide variety of topics, including science, philosophy, nature, and humanity. If you currently own a 13 gallon trash can, we are having a blowout sale on Hefty trash bags.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Chris_Pine

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/3900765

It's all.
Justice is a sentence that appropriately punishes a person for their wrong actions.

Or, in the US, justice is busting in to a man's bedroom and slaughtering him. \o/
Well then, Tryton summed it all up nicely, but just to do Plato some justice, it is Philosopher Kings. Plural.
His view was that they should be raised from birth to lead, choosing from natural attributes and lifelong lessons. After living in every class, they are brought up to form a union with other Philosopher Kings and rule in such a way that proves to be fair to all citizens.
-- Jet -- Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. --
[Secret]AikidoKP

Cogito ergo sum. I think therefor I exist.

I know it's true because it says so right here in this signature.
to me, "Law makers, law breakers, let's fight them both"
To other people, justice is punishment and order of chaos or crime.
To me again, a excuse for beating up people.
Click Here To Learn MMA today!
If there is effort, there is always accomplishment. - Jigoro Kano
Justice is a myth. The only thing that exists in this world are conspiracies.

Though, true justice would mean the fair balance to world peace I suppose.
Who the bloody sig edited my fuck.
Seriously? Again?
I haven't seen that name appear in a while, Viris_Laborer.

Justice is what you want justice to be. I think.
OLDA | Fr3styL | RL | T3AL
R.I.P [Pure] 356 Threads, 19,000 Posts.