Ranking
Original Post
[Tut] How to map hands
I decided to try and make a tutorial to show people how I map hand textures. For the purposes of this tutorial I will primarily be mapping the l_hand. The official template can be found here. The biggest issue I have with this template is it doesn't show how the pixels are distorted. My goal with this tutorial is to show people how I compensate for the distortions and how to better map hand textures.

The biggest tip I can share is this:

a 36x26 pixel square.

Each section can be derived from this square:

I like to start by mapping with this template. Making each section how I want it to be on my tori:

Some quick tips for using this template to map are:

The "Out" and "In" section flips vertically when it's on your tori:

The vertical flips should take place after you've made the texture using my template and before you stretch the texture to fit the official template. Another tip is the "Back" section also suffers from the same fate, but is a blessing because it allows you to flow your texture from the "Top" to the "Back" to the "Bottom" a lot easier. Remember these sections ("Top", "Back", "Bottom", and "Front") wrap around the tori's hand.

So, now that we're done making our texture and through with the couple vertical flips, let's take it apart section by section and stretch it to fit the official texture.

> > > > > >

Woo Hoo! All done.

For the people who have 256x256 just multiply the dimensions by 2. The rectangle will be 72x52.

For the people who have 512x512 just multiply the dimensions by 4. The rectangle will be 144x104.

To map the r_hand just use the finished texture using the official template and horizontally flip the "Top", "Back", "Bottom", and "Front" sections. For the "In" and "Out" section also horizontally flip them, then vertically flip them, and swap them (Put "Out" where "In" is, and put "In" where "Out" is.) Should be good!

Any questions just ask. Also, anyone caught wearing this texture will be banned and/or possibly killed... in a figurative sense. but seriously, no texture stealing.

I will be editing this to fit in other aspects. like wrapping from the front or back onto the sides.
Last edited by TomPaine; Oct 20, 2011 at 08:13 PM.
PigeonHive Flap Buzz