Toribash
Original Post
AOTY 2014
it's getting close to the end of the year, been a good one for music. what is your proclaimed album of the year? if not one, what were your top 5 releases?
if you want to add a bonus, add your favorite and least favorite song on each album if you have one.
also feel free to post songs from these albums but please keep them in a spoiler.
also also feel free to rate other peoples musical tastes as if music had an objective taste.

mine in no particular order:

1. Death Grips - niggas on the moon
fav: Have A Sad Cum
least: Fuck Me Out

2. Aphex Twin - Syro
fav: Minipops 67
least: Fz pseudotimestretch+e+3

3. Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2
fav: Jeopardy
least: Love Again

4. Flying Lotus - You're Dead
fav: Dead Man's Tetris
least: Never Catch Me

5. Machine Girl - WFLGRL
fav: Excruciating Deth
least: Out By 16, Dead on the Scene
Pushing powder down my musket so I may smite another opp.
I put a switch and a beam on my blunderbuss, your hood is not safe.
oh boy here we go

the front bottoms - rose
i know its not an "actual album" but fuck you its godlike. although theres no new songs on the record, its a 6 song ep that revives some of the old fan favourites with a more modern influence

lipstick covered magnet

snowmine - dialects
one of the most soothing albums ive ever listened to

columbus

maximo park - too much information
i love how much their style has changed in recent years and this album in particular has tickled me pink

leave this island

swans - to be kind
the instrumental density in this album makes my peepee feel funny

a little god in my hands

andrew jackson jihad - christmas island
i actually debated with myself whether or not i should add this album because i feel like they were pretty lazy with the production of the album compared to past albums. regardless, the bitter, sad and clever lyricism mixed with the weakling(?) voice of their vocalist works better than any other folk punk band ive ever heard and i love it

temple grandin

I only listened to 3 albums released this year that I feel are worth mentioning.

3. Run The Jewels 2
Solid followup to their first album, and I think its just about on par with it. Not anything I would call a strong artistic statement or innovative or anything, but its definitely a lot of fun that doesn't feel like its dumbing itself down for that purpose.

2. Clipping - CLPPNG
This album is frustrating to me because it has some crazy quality fluctuation in the songs. There are some songs which are outright fantastic, like Body & Blood and Or Die, which make me think that these guys could become my favorite rap group. That is as long as they don't start making more songs that sound like Work Work or, god forbid, Tonight.

1. Andy Stott - Faith in Strangers
Technically not out yet, I found a leak online and this is a great followup to what was my AOTY 2012, Luxury Problems. Seriously, Andy Stott is probably my favorite electronic music producer ever. His music is so lush while at the same time dark and brooding. There's even some trap influence on this album which gave it a swagger which previously wasn't in his music.

Favorites from the albums

Last edited by Larfen; Nov 2, 2014 at 10:20 PM.
[12:00] <fudgiebalz> toribash SUCKS
Check my ~~~Dank Replays~~~
1. dead congregation - promulgation of the fall

2. behemoth - the satanist

3. ne obliviscaris - citadel

4. teitanblood - death

5. septicflesh - titan

i could prob swap out septicflesh with artificial brain or agalloch
5 albums i enjoyed:

Hail Spirit Noir - Oi Magoi (metal)

Helms alee - sleepwalking sailors (stoner metal)

The socks - The Socks (hard rock)

Rainbows are free - waves ahead of the ocean (hard rock)

The tiger lillies - a dream turns sour (dark/punk cabaret)
Fav: Death (soundcloud)

Honorable mentions to Tiny Little Shoes - Valencé, a small folkrock album i listened a lot to. Got repetative after a while (rather simple music), but it's worth checking out
Bit disappointed with whirr and the grand astoria. They should've been up there.

Also 10/10 rai. Never heard of any of those. It's not the stuff i usually listen to, but you've got me interested.

Also need to check out andy stott because that was great. Never really liked the aggressive rappers though.
Last edited by Lazors; Nov 3, 2014 at 11:55 PM.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
#1: the antlers - familiars.

there is no question

(also the only album from 2014 i listened to and felt like ranking lol)
((new alt-j is okay tho))
(((and RTJ2 has some bangers)))

track of the year (besides parade by the antlers): baauer - one touch ft AlunaGeorge and Rae Sremmurd
holy shit.
Last edited by vespesi3n; Nov 3, 2014 at 02:29 AM.
Mosier: tl;dr gay clothing thoughts
A little premature since some stuff I think will be good is still coming out this year, but so far I'm thinking my top 5 is something like this (in no real order)

Buzz Osborne - This Machine Kills Artists
It's a solo album from the guy that created sludge metal, but on a shitty acoustic guitar. It's great.

The Vulgar Joke

Shellac - Dude Incredible
Probably my second favorite Shellac album just barely under At Action Park.

Gary

Carla Bozulich - Boy
Spooky experimental rock album by some old lady. Actually gets pretty catchy at times and the singing is very good.

Lazy Crossbones

Jucara Marcal - Encarnado
Vanguarda paulistana album by like the one person that actually makes that kind of stuff nowadays. Not as good as her work with Meta Meta (which is amazing,) but still an enjoyable listen.

Damiao

Young Widows - Easy Pain
Like noise rock being played in a cave, or if Steve Albini was sad in an abandoned warehouse full of reverb pedals. It's catchy as fuck.

Godman

oh yeah