ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
.:NVIDIA GPU BUY GUIDE:.
Found this when I was searching something on Google.
So I decided I'd like to share it to you guys.

How to decode Nvidia Model numbers?

There are 4 digit numbers like 4200, 6250, 7600, 8400 etc.

The 1st number is the generation of the card. 4200 is 4th generation card.
7600 a 7th generation card.
Newer generation means more features and abilities (example from 7 to 8th generation the newer generation got a bunch of HD DVD decoding abilities).

The 2nd number is the relative speed in the lineup.
So a 4200 would be 4th generation and a 2 (low) end for speed.
A 7600 would be 7th generation and 6 (above middle) range for speed.
An 8800 would be 8th generation and 8 (high end) for speed.

So if you compare an 8400 to a 7900....
The 8400 is a newer model with some nice Hi Def DVD add ons but
isn't a very fast gaming card (low middle).
The 7900 is one generation older but
still top end card so awesome for games.
Even a 6800 which is 2 generations old, but
again high end for speed would fare well against an 8400.

The 3rd digit is usually a 0 or 5.
Between a 7900 and 7950 it usually means a newer revision.
Same generation, same high end speed, but the 7950 got a revision over the 7900.

GT, GS, GTX, GTS, etc are used to denote differences between
fairly similar cards. Example: 8600 card.
8th generation that will be midrange speed.
Faster than 8400 and slower than 8800's. Within the 8600's there are some that are a BIT slower (the GT's) and some a bit faster (the GTS).
However, even though the GTS is a 'faster' card it isn't going to overtake an 8800.

Usually GT is base, GTS is better, GTX is Xtreme, and Ultra is high as they go. There have been exceptions though.

Finally if the models 2nd number is a 0 or 1 it denote slow as can be for that line and usually an onboard solution. So, if you see an Nvidia 7050 or 6100 both of those are onboard (integrated) video. Really slow and will be outpaced by any other in the line (and most from previous lines)
Definitely not Josh Lintag
This is some really old info... Nvidia don't use the 4 number naming scheme anymore (not since 2008?).

Newer cards follow a similar pattern, cards are named in the form XYZ, where X is the series number and the second number is the card number, Z is 0 if the card is a normal mode, and 5 if it is using a finer dye width (for example 280 and 285 are the same cards but 285 uses thinner dye so it is smaller and uses less electricity etc).
That's for the 3 numbers thing. I might as well include that.
Definitely not Josh Lintag
The '3 numbers thing' is all of their latest cards... pretty important for a buyers guide =P
<sireal> chuck you're a gay cunt
<Chuck_Gaming> I am