Ranking
Original Post
[Mus] Mixtape WIP
So, my friend Hobart (Leviathan), and I (Bleach God) are making a mixtape. This is somewhat of a teaser I suppose. Theres no vocals at the moment but I was working around the idea of this beat. I posted it on soundcloud just to ask people (you) what they (you) think. Please tell me down below and if you are a producer, give me tips and advice.

Please keep in mind this is not done whatsoever.

Link: https://soundcloud.com/user-900112552/work-in-progress

Programs Used:
FL Studio 11
<Scourgebank> minraise is clav's dick
<Scourgebank> so 0
There's not really much to critique atm. If you're gonna extend that track into something you're gonna rap over, I'd suggest after the break at 20 seconds, holding off on the off-beat 'ah's again until you finish another verse or two.

It's mixed fine. Nothing jumps out as being bad.

You should share with us again after you've got the vocals down.
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
There's not really much to critique atm.

Sure there is.

The lead synth horn and aah's are super quiet and lack presence. Raise them a couple of db and eq some high ends there to add presence.
The basskick is muffled and also lacks presence.

https://soundcloud.com/foolsgoldrecs/quix-laundry

As an example check that kick/subbass combo and notice how much more presence and punch it has. Try adding a transient kick and slightly distorted subbass and compress them together to add a transient but sustained bass. That will give a lot more depth to the mix.
Currently on the track the subbass is so low that it only rumbles on the super low 40hz area so it only pretty much muddies the track with unintelligible bass rumble.

The track currently only has a few synths, 808snare, hat and a kick. Add some buildup white noises, some hits and pads to fill the track out.
And since you are going for a pretty agressive style, some distorted basslines and in your face synths wouldn't hurt.

The balance of the track is currently bit wack, it's really important that the things you are trying to bring forth actually are in the front. Currently the things in front are the snare (Should be usually) and the hihats.
The synths and the kick are pretty much on the background. When only the drums are in the front the track easily feels thin.
Last edited by cowmeat; Sep 18, 2016 at 02:31 PM.