Ranking
Bringing statistics into this argument won't really help anyone who hasn't experienced it first hand, since this is pretty much what this thread has turned into. Half the people speaking from personal experience and the other half attempting to use numbers and hearsay in substitute of personal experience which just isn't going to work in this case.

This is something you've either experienced or not and if you haven't you really aren't ever going to get it honestly, below is the best way I could explain this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvD9TawMqCY - just replace ''n'' word with hood mentality

If you can't put yourself in someone else's shoes at the very least you can respectfully say you don't understand because you've never experienced it personally.
Present to me the most beautiful woman, and I shall reward you with chronos
When shit's measurable (as it is with all these statistics) then you have a quantitative base from which you can develop solutions and make that shit manageable. If you don't know the statistical realities of a problem, then you're going to have a hell of a hard time figuring out how to solve it. What can't be measured, can't be managed. That's why it's important to understand this side of the issue.
Originally Posted by AzureMage View Post
If you can't put yourself in someone else's shoes at the very least you can respectfully say you don't understand because you've never experienced it personally.

Yeah nah, how am I supposed to understand insanely rampant crime with an explanation like "it's for survival"?

Personal experience is THE LOWEST FORM of evidence. Please read before continuing:
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

Also please remember this is the 'discussion' board, so anti-discussion posts like "hurr u dont get it" are extremely unproductive.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
I see you came into this discussion with a closed mind, not seeking to take any point into consideration and argue one stern point.

What I want to say that the hood is more than statistics, more than gangsters, ore than drug dealers.
You could understand if you actually considered other people's opinions, numbers originally didn't even have a role since the op is asking for personal opinions on what you think of the hood and the video. If you want to use numbers and statistics to elaborate on why you feel the way you feel that's one thing, but discrediting other opinions based on personal experience is not completely valid even in debates or discussions.

Statistics are absolute and important, but it's not the only way to argue and it's definitely not the only way to get a point across so treating it as the sole method of expressing a point or opinion isn't valid. What's really anti-discussion is arguing solely with links to the point where it's just two people throwing links at one another like some sort of googling duel using everyone else's words but their own, with little to no personal connection to the topic. In situations like those you just have people who came into the argument not wanting to learn but to only force their opinions on others, with neither party taking anything away from it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modes_of_persuasion

In addition if you can't understand why survival for yourself or loved ones isn't a reason to do whatever you have to do I suggest doing some charity work or visiting an area like the ones we've been discussing. Beyond that it's something deeper than a choice it's pure instinct to want to live, aside from mental conditions or being suicidal anyone when on the brink will not just lie down and wait to die. This extends beyond just the hood mentality because it's something that every living thing feels the basic want to live.
Last edited by AzureMage; Jul 6, 2015 at 04:27 AM.

Statistics are absolute and important, but it's not the only way to argue and it's definitely not the only way to get a point across so treating it as the sole method of expressing a point or opinion isn't valid.

Pretty sure I didn't say that.
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
it's important to understand this side of the issue.

Pretty sure I said it's an important part of the topic. Pretty sure Pig didn't say that either.

Pretty sure you're getting pretty worked up.
I was just explaining why I don't think numbers had a place in this discussion, trying to explain how some things can't be understood with numbers being thrown at them and explaining how survival is the most basic human instinct. I don't see how giving thorough opinions is getting worked up.

My statements weren't directed at you it was just a personal opinion on debating practices, I was mostly referring to how Immortalpig can't see why people would do what they needed to, to survive.
You could understand if you actually considered other people's opinions, numbers originally didn't even have a role since the op is asking for personal opinions on what you think of the hood and the video. If you want to use numbers and statistics to elaborate on why you feel the way you feel that's one thing, but discrediting other opinions based on personal experience is not completely valid even in debates or discussions.

Statistics are absolute and important, but it's not the only way to argue and it's definitely not the only way to get a point across so treating it as the sole method of expressing a point or opinion isn't valid. What's really anti-discussion is arguing solely with links to the point where it's just two people throwing links at one another like some sort of googling duel using everyone else's words but their own, with little to no personal connection to the topic. In situations like those you just have people who came into the argument not wanting to learn but to only force their opinions on others, with neither party taking anything away from it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modes_of_persuasion

In addition if you can't understand why survival for yourself or loved ones isn't a reason to do whatever you have to do I suggest doing some charity work or visiting an area like the ones we've been discussing. Beyond that it's something deeper than a choice it's pure instinct to want to live, aside from mental conditions or being suicidal anyone when on the brink will not just lie down and wait to die. This extends beyond just the hood mentality because it's something that every living thing feels the basic want to live.

I was just explaining why I don't think numbers had a place in this discussion, trying to explain how some things can't be understood with numbers being thrown at them and explaining how survival is the most basic human instinct. I don't see how giving thorough opinions is getting worked up.

My statements weren't directed at you it was just a personal opinion on debating practices, I was mostly referring to how Immortalpig can't see why people would do what they needed to, to survive.

Your argument is that blacks are dumb animals that can't act civil and just do what they need to do to survive. I actually happen to know black people who aren't the scum of society, and guess what? They aren't dumb animals who only think of their survival, black people are humans too you know... I can't believe I'm even having to make this argument tbh...

What an absolutely absurd argument, I'm not sure why you expect me to even take that seriously. Of course, I did consider your opinion, but I disagree. I don't really care if that's your experience. I have already presented sufficient evidence to show that hood crime rate is far far higher than can be justified solely with "but they are poor", and I don't think "they are following their instincts" is a valid explanation. The fact is that the vast majority of other people can do it just fine.

No one is arguing solely with links, so no need to try and reframe the situation... But hell go ahead and throw in a random irrelevant link to prove your point lol.

Cut the "but you don't understannddddd" bullshit mate.
That was never my argument, I don't recall singling out blacks in particular since any race could be found in the hood. I don't know where you're getting all of these assumptions that I think black people are dumb animals and the scum of the earth since I haven't said anything remotely close to that, especially considering I'm black and on top of that I'm a correctional officer that is immersed among these criminals so I hear plenty of stories but that's irrelevant.

The fact that none of the crimes should be justifiable was already settled in the first couples pages of the thread and nobody's arguing that. The point I was attempting to make is that anyone will do what they have to do when their life or the life of a loved one is at stake but you see doing what you have to do as an excuse for some reason which is crazy.

Haven't you ever had to struggle to make ends meet? or ran out of food? lights and water turned off? baby doesn't have any formula? or the rent being due? if you have faced any struggle then I don't know how you can treat them as if they're trivial. If you see these as easily fixable problems then you have lead a fairly comfortable and sheltered life.
Well you keep saying they are 'just following their instincts' or 'doing what they have to do to survive'. It's pretty clear that you have a very very low opinion of people in the hood and consider them to be simply dumb animals.

Civilized humans obviously follow the law, the law is the cornerstone of civilization after all. Civilized people do not 'do whatever they have to do'. Even since ancient times people have acted with honor and respect.

You say again that you are not justifying them, but in the next paragraph you try once again to justify them... USA has many support systems set up to help poor people. Bad decisions don't excuse committing crime.

What's more, I don't see how rampant assaults and rape can really help you survive lol. Are people in the hood some kind of sex addicted vampires..? Tbh I think it's absolute bullshit, and a very poor excuse for people to act like the animals you think they are.