ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Hardware Modding
When I say "Hacking", I dont mean hacking software or going into networks, I mean modifying the parts or a Computer, which is legal, except for Macs. Has anyone here done that? I.E., Modify a graphics card, or extend parts or the Mobo?

I have changed the thread title ~m0o
Last edited by m0o; Jul 8, 2010 at 08:47 AM.
I haven't done much. But I have some interest in modification of components and putting them to good use.
I usually watch this guy on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/kipkay
Because I think its a pretty interesting subject.

Also about hacking, there is a misconception about hacking and cracking. One should investigate before generalizing.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
I know, its so dumb! Cracking and Hacking should be completely different.
By the way, there is a man who made his own CPU, its called BMOW1, search it up on google.
Originally Posted by galilsnap View Post
When I say "Hacking", I dont mean hacking software or going into networks, I mean modifying the parts or a Computer, which is legal, except for Macs. Has anyone here done that? I.E., Modify a graphics card, or extend parts or the Mobo?

Err, modifying PC components is not illegal, if it was people like XFX wouldn't be in the business of making modified graphics cards >.>

Last I checked Apple is much more restrictive with how they let you handle their hardware.

The best terms is 'modding', not hacking, BTW for this kind of thing. Hacking is actually the use of a computer in a non-standard way to achieve, seemingly straight forward results.

I read Tom's Hardware and BitTech.

Bit tech are generally superior for modding articles I find, and have a 'mod of the month' section.
so far i've modified my videocard cooling system by taking off the plastic cover and put a fan onto the heatsync, dropped the temp at idle 10c when gaming 5c which really is a big improvement over the stock fan with the cover
You don't say?
I built my computer with a hack saw, supper glue and a file, need I say more? xD

Well I have an Ultra-120 with two (replaced) fans, every fan in my case was replaced because they made too much noise, and I had to hack a fan out because it was damaging the airflow, so I replaced it with a new aluminium panel, then the graphics card has an awesome new heat sink and two 120mm fans on it (it makes allot of heat). Last but not least I took apart my 3 HDD's and hid them in the second PSU space in an old PSU shell just for fun, oh and I turned my PSU into a modular PSU xD
i'm currently looking into taking a ps3 fan and making it work for my computer case to add to the cooling system. that hdd psu idea sounds pretty cool actually. i have a pretty basic computer case though that i painted the amd logo on top of when i was bored lol. i've also got 2 thermaltake 80mm fans that originally came out of a thermaltake psu cooling down my motherboard.
You don't say?
I modified the title to something more relevant.

Here's a tute on how to modify an X-fi

X-fi Mod

Basically it involves rolling a non-socketed opamp (reduces THD and SNR), replacing the caps in the power supply with higher quality ones (reduces noise), and applying ERS paper (reduces RFI).

The opamp is easily the most important change
Last edited by m0o; Jul 8, 2010 at 08:52 AM.
As far as I know, you can do whatever you want to your mac, Apple just doesn't let you sell modified macs.

It probably voids the warranty though, same for other PC makers.
i have a totally post modern tattoo of a scalene triangle.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
<DeadorK> if the cum is going to be in your mouth
<DeadorK> it shall be in mine as well