ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
[REL] Sword and Board
I was sorely disappointed with the quality of the current selection of Sword and Shield mods, so I decided to make one. In this mod, the sword and shield are actual objects that must be grabbed and held in order to wield, which opens the possibility of *not* holding them if desired. Additionally, you can be hurt by your own sword or shield if not careful. The turn frames are also much shorter than most other 'weapon' mods, in order to allow for more precise movement. The structure is similar to Aikido or Wushu, and the main objective is to disqualify your opponent while avoid being disqualified yourself.
Attached Images
SwordAndBoard.jpg (45.3 KB, 123 views)
Attached Files
sword_and_board_v3.tbm (4.0 KB, 54 views)
Last edited by Velorin; Jun 14, 2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Uploaded updated version
Nice one Velorin.
We played that mod earlier .
3DS FC :4038-6911-2047
Pokemon Player. LoZ and other Nintendo shit. =]
I made a mod almost identical to this one a while ago called swordshield.tbm

Great minds....

I spent ages changing the joints of the players to allow for better movement though, check it out.

The whole joint system was also improved in the mod K13.tbm, though that is a katana mod and doesn't use shields.
<the god> the god
<@Smilies2> modding tiem

Hah! I actually drew from your mod for inspiration. I didn't like the giant pedestal though, nor the fact that the sword started in an 'up' position. And I felt like the joint movements were really clunky at first, but that might just be because they were different and something I wasn't expecting. I'll definitely check it out again, though.
The pedestal was just added because I had loads of spare objects (I think there is a version without it somewhere).

The joints do take a little getting used to, but allow for much more natural movements. The biggest problem I had with previous sword mods was that you couldn't swing the sword properly with default joint settings. K13.tbm takes it further and is very easy to do natural looking attacks.

You might also be interested in this http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=355158
<the god> the god
<@Smilies2> modding tiem

You can interpret the theme in any way you want, it's just a starting point really. As long as you explain how it is linked to the theme when you post the mod.
<the god> the god
<@Smilies2> modding tiem

In the newest version, I'm experimenting with a system that tries to keep the player upright in a natural way, so players have to focus less on balance. Moving fluidly is hard enough for most players without having a sword and shield to worry about as well. In this version, attempting to move your legs under your character almost always results in regaining balance and assuming a standing position. It probably will require further tweaking, but it works well enough in solo tests.

I've also been fooling around trying to get it to where swords aren't instagib, but are still extremely effective and likely to dismember when moderate force is applied. I had minor success by allowing an imperceptible range of motion in the joints connecting the pieces of the sword, and specifying high strength and velocity parameters to the joint. This worked in some cases, but was inconsistent in others and often produced visual defects. If anyone knows a good way to accomplish this, please let me know.
Last edited by Velorin; Jun 14, 2012 at 03:59 PM.