Ranking
Original Post
[Art] After 4 years, I have now started to...
After 4 years of not painting with my acrylic paint, I am now trying to pick it up.

First sketch

I am currently art-blind and will have to let this rest until I know which errors I made. So far I dislike the bone structure of the skull and the nose. Anything you guys pick up?
Last edited by Freelancer; Aug 6, 2014 at 11:15 PM.
Jalis: Freelancer, you're a duck | Sachi: Freelancer, you're a duck | Reanimator: Freelancer, you're a duck
satiknee: Freelancer, you're a duck | Wiggi: Freelancer, you're a duck | Tarlan: Freelancer, you're a duck
Like you said, the bone structure looks tweenager level amateur and the nose is overly manly / huge... hand looks pretty swell, but there's not much to critique considering you haven't started the painting (where all the details lie)
Tor1g0d embodied as a noob. Hey, atleast i'm back and nice!
no neck
dislocated shoulders
back has no shape
head is... wrong. nose out of lord of the rings. eyes attached to the tip of the bridge of the nose. joker sized smile. forehead receding back into the brain.

you're better than that, plug your art eye back in.

but you did get the most difficult parts right, the hands and the hair are pretty damn good.
assuming you actually enjoyed drawing those parts, because the linework on those is way different to the rest.
Last edited by BenDover; Aug 6, 2014 at 11:54 PM.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-

Thanks, I need to figure out why I can't draw noses anymore.
Also...shoulders. Why can't they be correct...grrr I can see the errors but hm
Jalis: Freelancer, you're a duck | Sachi: Freelancer, you're a duck | Reanimator: Freelancer, you're a duck
satiknee: Freelancer, you're a duck | Wiggi: Freelancer, you're a duck | Tarlan: Freelancer, you're a duck
I think that if you drive up the nose and the mouth and show just the start of the chin, that'll give the head a way better effect. Or you could fix the neck which seems like the most problematic area and draw the chin out of necessity, that works too.

Also, unless that sleeve is actually a hard surface, what exactly is stopping it from naturally resting on the shoulder? It's being lifted up by nothing right now.

Also also, where's the acrylic paint?

Everything BenDover said too.

Just in general? It's like I'm watching you slowly defrost after a long hiatus. The general idea is sloppy but by the time you're on the details like the hand or the hair, you really start shining. I'd say scrap it and draw the same concept again.
<&Fish>: did you just infract the toribot?
<&Fish>: you're fired
<JSnuffMARS> sounds like a drug-addiction or mastu(I'll censor that word)
<bishopONE>: also yeah fisting
<mwah> Gynx is it true you got admin over hero because hes from pakistan
No.

Continuing on what bendover said: I am starting to get the shoulders right...

Still not perfect tho... I need to go to bed.
-----
It's the back side with a coat with a high collar :) there is a tiny bit of neck there.
She does have a short neck. But it's kinda supposed to be. Don't diss the shortnecks.
Last edited by Freelancer; Aug 7, 2014 at 12:34 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
1. show a bit of a cheek line passing on the side of the nose
2. roll the back shoulder forward, drop it a bit and round that sharp angle out and show a pinch to show the shoulder - tricep connection.
3. the front shoulder, roll that one forward a bit, show a slight line for that back/neck muscle and pinch it in a bit just under the sleeve, to show where the shoulder muscle meets the bicep.
4. you've shown a bit of the neck, but the height of the head above the shoulder suggests that its suuuuuper short. it throws the positioning of the head right off. ladies have nice long necks. head could do with being moved to the right a bit. the place the neck line should be is currently in the middle of her jaw.

if you made the pose a bit more like she was dodging away to her left, you could get away with the current head position. angle the body slowing downwards to the right like shes jumping to the side/back and add a bit of a whip to the ponytail. you could also keep the current shoulder height/angle and get a more interesting angle for the back.
i feel like you could rework most of the body without it affecting the hand or head much. use a more severe angle on the body would actually be easier to draw than a view straight from the back.

im just spitballing ideas though, so experiment with options on a piece of scrap paper if you end up making any major changes.
when i do character sketches, i always draw muscles instead of shapes and check what the muscles do when i put them in the pose im drawing.

if im not being too presumptuous, i vomited sketch lines over it. ignore the link if you want to work it out on your own steam.
the angle i drew on the head isnt the same, but the angle youve chosen is abit confused.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e8...5.png~original
Last edited by BenDover; Aug 7, 2014 at 01:22 AM.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
You made pretty hands and a good gun design.

her biceps looks too long In my opinion, the're intended to be less long than forearms,
she is "lacking" curves, You made the back and the hips on a low angle, on both sides.
the face silhouette is a bit off, You must show more the curves of the mouth, it looks like her mouth is just painted on her skin.

if she is twisting her back and shoulder, You must suggest with the cloth lines.

You have a great potential, You can do better than this.
Thanks both of you! I am drawing this completely without references - the first sketch (gun body and head) was a 30 min "just want to get this out of my head" piece. And now, thanks to you guys it's starting to look like something.
Design-wise I don't see why the back of the belt has those details on it. It's the back so I'd imagine it'd be much simpler than that. Unless you're going for an Attack on Titan/knickers sort of thing with those lines being suspenders instead of just a design on the shirt. In that case though the top would need more to actually support the suspenders.

Also the belt isn't really in-line or parallel with the body. It's making for some weird turns in the body.

Curious to see it when you're done painting.
(>^_^)>