Ranking
Original Post
Some 'rpg' elements
One thing has recently crossed my mind. Why not to implement some 'rpg' elements in Toribash?
First of all, we could give some special features to the items that we can equip (i.e. torso, relax, force etc.), e.g. aqua force would increase forced joint's resistance to dismemberment and acid torso would give our opponent less points than the standard torso when it would be hit by him. Those are only examples. Of course, not all of the items would have to have such features - this is only an idea.
Secondly, skills. Skills would be some passive abilities that would give us some general bonuses or some disadvantages to our opponents, e.g. having "Boxer" skill would increase damage we do with our hands (only with fists, not elbows or anything like that) while having "Jumper" skill would SLIGHTLY increase our feet's jumping power while we are standing on the ground (so not considering any kind of "bouncing" with some different strange moves with the help of knees or hands). Skills would be achieved by spending skill points but the question is how to score those points and would there be any limit on the skills one could acquire. However, one thing could be sure - "Boxer" would be a better and more useful skill so it would be more expensive than a "Jumper" and so on.
Last but not least, implemented skills could be limited only to certain mods, e.g. "Jumper" would not be possible to use in jousting and "Boxer" - in boxing . Of course, everything that I've described here can be organised differently but the very idea seems quite fair to me.
Toribash wouldn't be fun with special things like that, it's about power and using the joints, not using power-ups to supercharge a kick. Not supported.
Half of your ideas wouldn't even work because they involve amplifying things that depend entirely on how you control your tori.
Jumper wouldn't work in any situation because it would have to do 1 of 3 things:
1. change gravity to enable higher/easier jumping, which isn't possible without serious coding because it means adding an algorithim or something to calculate tori's movements with his gravity while still touching uke who is being affected by a different gravity complicating things a lot. All in real-time.
2. Amplifying joint power, which would also affect kicks and movement entirely.
3. Adding upwards force to your tori which involves some sort of basic AI type deal to analyze the situation and determine whether or not you need that force. Which is pretty much impossible because there are literally almost an infinite number of combinations and ways to jump.

Also, the game isn't about what kind of gear you can buy; meaning that the more money you invest/earn the better you are; it's about actually being able to play the game and get better at it through your own skill. Not because you have better gear then someone else.
Items are purely aesthetic, they are so you can personalize yourself and make yourself unique and stand out in the community.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
|Replay|ORMO|
I often like these kind of elements in video games. Toribash is an exception. Adding this would be severely unfair. Obviously, high QI items would have better benefits. Therefore, people who buy custom belts would have an insane advantage. I liked being a blue belt who could maybe, once in a blue moon win against a 10th dan. Now you're making that even more impossible. Also, what about colour combinations? What if orc and gaia had awesome skills? I can barely think of a worse colour combination. Not only would this be unfair, it'd make for some of the ugliest toris imaginable XD.

Not supported.
Co-leader of Nitro | Replays
Originally Posted by Bukorl View Post
Of course, everything that I've described here can be organised differently but the very idea seems quite fair to me.

Seriously? The very idea is 'quite fair'? Don't you see that if there were items that gave the player certain abilities, it would be unfair to the person who doesn't have one? Lets take in for example, your 'Jumper' ability idea. If this were used in wushu, then more and more people would simply hit and run away from their opponent. Also, if this were implemented, Toribash wouldn't be the Toribash we've all come to know. If you really want this to be implemented, why don't you make your own game?
Heart of Gold