Toribash
Original Post
Noah's Guide To A Fair Application
Description
.:This is not a guide for making applications to get into [Bleu]. This is for making applications for other clans once you have graduated:.
Hello everyone, I thought I would take a bit of initiative and try to make a thread that would benefit the members of [Bleu].
As you all know, we are a clan that is a school. We help you prepare in your Toribash for bigger and better clans. But the hardest part of being in a clan, is getting in. The majority of respected and powerful clans don't require a format, like [Bleu] does, and you must write it free form. So that's why I thought I would dedicate a small portion of my time, to try to help out a lot of people. This will help you make an application for a clan once you have graduated from [Bleu] With this stated, lets begin.

Examples
Now before I start teaching you all how to make an application, let's look at some examples of what I think are a few good ones, and a few bad ones.

Bad Example #1

Bad Example #2

Decent Example #1

Good Example #1

Good Example #2

Hopefully after reading those you have a better concept of what defines a good or bad application. 3 of those people got accepted into [one], and two of them are still happily among us, as valued members.

Elements
Every judge of your app looks for certain things that will determine if it impresses them or not. You can't write down every element exactly, seeing as it all comes down to a matter of preference, but there are some universal things.

1) Effort: The first thing you see when your eyes merely scan over an app, is the amount of effort put into it. This is the most important factor. Dedicating your time and effort into at least attempting to make the best application you can. This is why the best are generally the longest. It shows something about how serious you are about joining.
2) Format: A common trait of bad applications are the bad formatting. If you just start typing away, it is well...a turn off to it's judges. It makes it unpleasant to read. Try to use paragraphs, and sections.
3) Punctuation: My god, this is a big thing. perhaps the thing that most people don't get. Use proper grammar, punctuation, spelling, everything. If you don't you will come off as illiterate and unintelligent. You must try your hardest to remember everything your English teacher taught you while making an app.
4) Formal: The mood of your application is important. You want to be respectable, yet have a good personality. You can definitely go too far in either direction, so how formal you are should be balanced out to a point you determine. Yes, this means stay the hell away from emoticons.
5) Benefit: Just saying you want into the clan isn't going to get you anywhere in life. You need to have something going for you. Social skills, art skills, in game skills, etc. Just have something.

Summary
Well I know there is more to say on the subject, so I will probably edit this later, but for now, enjoy, and thank you for reading. Written by your dear supervisor Noah.
Last edited by Noah; Nov 20, 2011 at 11:12 PM.
[Chess]
daddy kill the spider
It's so much easier to do this if we just add it to the first post in the application thread. Most applicants won't even see this.

P.S. Having PERFECT grammar isn't something we require at all. Most of Toribash types with incorrect punctuation.

P.P.S. Ask your fellow supervisors before doing something like this again.

I'm going to follow my P.P.S. and wait to see what everyone else thinks instead of just closing this.

Oh look, Akmal said supervisors could do this in the chat thread. At least I still have my main point and P.S. point. Unfortunately, I must leave the rest there to self-shame my mistake.

Akmal Moderated Message:
Editing your own post with mod colors? Lawlz.

It looks more like an official shaming if I use the blue coloring. Now, stop editing my post, damn it.
-Rayleigh

Akmal Moderated Message:
Yes master.
Last edited by Hero; Nov 21, 2011 at 11:04 AM.
Originally Posted by Rayleigh View Post
It's so much easier to do this if we just add it to the first post in the application thread. Most applicants won't even see this.

P.S. Having PERFECT grammar isn't something we require at all. Most of Toribash types with incorrect punctuation.

P.P.S. Ask your fellow supervisors before doing something like this again.

I'm going to follow my P.P.S. and wait to see what everyone else thinks instead of just closing this.

http://forum.toribash.com/showpost.p...postcount=1034
[Chess]
daddy kill the spider

Ah, sorry about that. But still, the point that we can just add this to the application thread still stands.
Sure, that would be great. But considering we use format instead of free form kind of makes this irrelevant to applying.
[Chess]
daddy kill the spider
But sir, isn't this supposed to be for students who graduate from Bleu? Free form applications are harder than app with a format and new people making free form apps is near impossible. Only one in a twenty applicants have enough grammar skills to write 'free formly' about them in english. Using app format is preferable in this case.

but I think this is much more useful and informative for a graduated student who wants to apply for an outside clan.
Last edited by Hero; Nov 20, 2011 at 05:47 PM.
That's what it is intended to do. Maybe I didn't want to make this clear enough in the intro.

*Fixed*
[Chess]
daddy kill the spider