Ranking
Original Post
Article 13
(SKIP THIS PART IF YOU KNOW WHAT ARTICLE 13 IS!!!)

So... Article 13 was aprooved in the UE... and that will change the lifes of the people that live there (like me for example)...
Now you ask "But Dextile... that has nothing to do with Toribash!!!" But my friend... yes it has...
Allow me to explain you... If you don't know... Article 13 will basically end all the social networks in Europe (like Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter...), and it will affect Google in Europe has well... It will remove the large majority of the images from Google Images and more.

(The main topic starts here!!!)

Welcome to this trend my friends!!!

Today I'm going to talk about how Article 13 will affect Toribash (And online gaming)

So, Toribash is an online game that can be played by downloading it from the main site or from Steam...
Has far has my knowledge goes, I think EU players will not be able to play Toribash (Unless they change something until the article gets applied).
But maybe you are asking "Dextile you dumb piece of sh**, Toribash is not a social media or a sharing platform you fu***** idiot!!!".
Yes, the game is not a sharing platform, BUT THE FORUM IS!!!

The forum is one of the main reasons people like to play Toribash.
This forum has a really good and diverse community and provides us all kinds of different trends and topics within our community.
With Article 13 the forum will basically die because EU players (like me) will not be able to access it (and if we were, we would not be able to post something that had an image on it)

Now you ask again "BUT DEXTILE IF YOU TAKE A SCREENSHOT THE IMAGE IS TECHNICALLY YOURS!!!"
Yes it is mine, BUT I don't have the "copyright license" of the game I'm playing.

For example, you want to post a pic of your Fortnite "Victory Royale" on Twitter, YOU JUST CAN'T!!!
The screenshot is legally yours, but the content on that screenshot isn't.
Basically if you don't own a license from Epic Games you can't post that pic, AND THE SAME IS APLIED TO TORIBASH!!!
This will kill the forum and the large majority of the community.

Now about the game it self...
As I already said, Toribash is a downloadable game, so it will not be available in the EU, because of the search restrictions we are going to have.
Toribash has copyright...

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This means that people from the EU will not be able to acess the game, BECAUSE IT HAS COPYRIGHT AND WE WOULD HAVE TO BUY A LICENSE FROM THE COMPANY JUST TO DOWNLOAD IT!!!

This is what I think will happen to Toribash after Article 13 is applied.
I'm not the best person to explain stuff and I don't know if I'm correct or not, but It's only an opinion...

You are free to leave your ideas and comments here

(I will leave the link to the petition against Article 13 here, in case you want to sign it)

https://www.change.org/p/european-pa...e-the-internet

Have a good day!!!
From your favourite portuguese player,

Dextile

#Saveyourinternet

SOU TUGAAAAAAAAAA
Yes I agree. Article 13 will likely make the Internet and social media as a whole a dumpster fire in the EU. It was first brought along by some old people in power and there was likely not much thought put into it at first, but now that the majority of people that actually use the Internet is on their case I believe it's very unlikely that it will come about. But then again I thought the same thing about when Net Neutrality was getting the ax so... Anyway, I believe that your predictions are correct to an extent. The forums would definitely be blocked in the EU. The base game however shouldn't. The game itself is copyrighted yes, which means by definition "the exclusive legal right, given to an originator or an assignee to print, publish, perform, film, or record literary, artistic, or musical material, and to authorize others to do the same." so unless they're filming themselves play the game and distributing the recording they should be fine to AT LEAST play the game.

Long story short for those of you who hate reading: Article 13 is dumb and made by old people. People in the EU will likely still be able to play the game, just not film and distribute that film.
Last edited by Seth; Dec 5, 2018 at 04:54 PM.
The Future is Bulletproof
"How r people still in jail? Just make alts lol" -Wizard
Please please PLEASE don't try to discuss Article 13 when you don't even know basics of copyright. You've been completely mislead by regurgitated information and I can almost guarantee you didn't look further than that.

Please let me explain copyright so you would at least understand how game distribution works.

Copyrights of a product can be altered by the legal owner, meaning an owner can decide how his product is or isn't distributed. As we know, Nabi distributes their own product, which Copyright laws obviously allow them to do. Owner of the copyright can sell their product, rent it, distribute it for free, etc. There is no possible copyright infringement going on anywhere in this interaction because Nabi distributes their game directly from their own website. Note: you do not have to "purchase" the rights to the material if it is lawfully distributed for free, which you seem to think is the only option of obtaining copyrighted material.
Similar situation is on Steam. Nabi gives Steam the legal rights to distribute the game, which makes it legal.

What would constitute as copyright infringement is if you were to upload Toribash on the internet and distribute it without Nabi's consent. And I think we can all agree that this should be punished.

As for Article 13, it is mainly concerned with media, like videos, images, and music, so games don't even fall under that category. Even if it did though, Toribash would clearly be safe because it is not distributed through social media or by p2p(peer to peer) network.

Originally Posted by Seth View Post
The forums would definitely be blocked in the EU.

No, it most definitely wouldn't be.

People in the EU will likely still be able to play the game, just not film and distribute that film.

That's most likely not gonna be the case. Legislation explicitly states that the article is only concerned about literature, images, videos, etc. Video of a game does not fall under that category because it does not capture another video or other type of media.
For the sake of a discussion let's assume it would though. As far as I know Article 13 will rely on AI to handle filtering of the contents. As long as Toribash is included in the "greylist" any video should pass with no problem, and it would be included in the grelyist on default unless Nabi studios had a specific statement saying that they do not want their product being recorded (which obviously wouldn't make sense).

I think most of you aren't aware of current copyright laws. Article 13 does not bring any change to current laws regarding games or recording of games. It is heavily focused on images, videos and music shared on social media,
and it is addressing a legit concern because currently posting copyrighted material on social media does not bring any substantial consequences to the person who infringes the copyright. The only thing you should be concerned about is that memes will be flagged down as infringed content because AI won't be able to distinguish between different variations of a meme. It does not concern this game. It does not concern this website. Please stop
Last edited by Smaguris; Dec 6, 2018 at 03:00 AM.
Originally Posted by Smaguris

I don't see how you think it won't be, you didn't provide much of an explanation here. The forum contains copyright material, music, art, etc. So it will likely be affected in some way as would other media platforms (Meaning they'll be liable for the copyrighted content on their platform).

You've been completely mislead by regurgitated information and I can almost guarantee you didn't look further than that.

I've actually read the specific amendments of Article 13 a while ago and know the basic implications of it. If you'd like to read it over again you can find it HERE. The amendments and added content is bold for your reading pleasure.

As for Article 13, it is mainly concerned with media, like videos, images, and music, so games don't even fall under that category.

Games are legally categorized as an art, so yes they would fall under that category. (Source There are plenty more if you search)

Even if it did though, Toribash would clearly be safe because it is not distributed through social media or by p2p(peer to peer) network.

Yea I agree, the game itself would be safe. It could be argued that the multiplayer aspects might come under fire but that seems like a pretty stupid argument to make to me.

That's most likely not gonna be the case. Legislation explicitly states that the article is only concerned about literature, images, videos, etc. Video of a game does not fall under that category because it does not capture another video or other type of media.

Again games are considered an art, which is a type of media, from a legal standpoint.

For the sake of a discussion let's assume it would though. As far as I know Article 13 will rely on AI to handle filtering of the contents.

The EU doesn't magically make an AI sort through everything, Article 13 just allows the copyright owners to take legal action against the platform that is hosting the unwanted use of their material. I believe you're getting this confused with the statement Youtube made and how big content creators have been saying that Youtube will be banned in the entire EU due to Youtube's copyright AI not being able to sort through all the content posted to Youtube in any given moment and be able to, with 100% accuracy, sort out all the copyright material.

As long as Toribash is included in the "greylist" any video should pass with no problem, and it would be included in the grelyist on default unless Nabi studios had a specific statement saying that they do not want their product being recorded (which obviously wouldn't make sense).

Again the EU doesn't magically make an AI to sort through everything, copyright owners are responsible for this themselves so this "Greylist" doesn't exist. I do agree that Nabi not wanting their content recorded would be stupid though.

I think most of you aren't aware of current copyright laws. Article 13 does not bring any change to current laws regarding games or recording of games. It is heavily focused on images, videos and music shared on social media

I think at this point I've proven I know at least the basics of how copyright laws are handled. Article 13 does bring PLENTY of changes to how copyrights are handled, the specifics of what is copyright infringement hasn't changed again it's just how said infringement will be handled. The individual person won't be have legal action taken against them, the PLATFORM that is hosting said content will be. Article 13 "protects" many things, including art which games legally fall under.

The only thing you should be concerned about is that memes will be flagged down as infringed content because AI won't be able to distinguish between different variations of a meme. It does not concern this game. It does not concern this website. Please stop

Blah blah blah the EU hasn't built some magic AI to sort through everything blah blah copyright owners responsible blah blah. It does concern the game and the website as I've proven. If you'd like to disprove me I'd more then welcome it as I love to hear other's views on topics like this.
Last edited by Seth; Dec 6, 2018 at 03:05 PM.
The Future is Bulletproof
"How r people still in jail? Just make alts lol" -Wizard
Yes I agree. Article 13 will likely make the Internet and social media as a whole a dumpster fire in the EU. It was first brought along by some old people in power and there was likely not much thought put into it at first, but now that the majority of people that actually use the Internet is on their case I believe it's very unlikely that it will come about. But then again I thought the same thing about when Net Neutrality was getting the ax so... Anyway, I believe that your predictions are correct to an extent. The forums would definitely be blocked in the EU. The base game however shouldn't. The game itself is copyrighted yes, which means by definition "the exclusive legal right, given to an originator or an assignee to print, publish, perform, film, or record literary, artistic, or musical material, and to authorize others to do the same." so unless they're filming themselves play the game and distributing the recording they should be fine to AT LEAST play the game.

Long story short for those of you who hate reading: Article 13 is dumb and made by old people. People in the EU will likely still be able to play the game, just not film and distribute that film.

I agree but if the forum gets blocked in the EU the game will loose some of its "fun", if you know what I'm saying...

And without the EU players the forum will be kind of "ruined" and it will loose alot...
-----
Originally Posted by Smaguris View Post
Please please PLEASE don't try to discuss Article 13 when you don't even know basics of copyright. You've been completely mislead by regurgitated information and I can almost guarantee you didn't look further than that.

Please let me explain copyright so you would at least understand how game distribution works.

Copyrights of a product can be altered by the legal owner, meaning an owner can decide how his product is or isn't distributed. As we know, Nabi distributes their own product, which Copyright laws obviously allow them to do. Owner of the copyright can sell their product, rent it, distribute it for free, etc. There is no possible copyright infringement going on anywhere in this interaction because Nabi distributes their game directly from their own website. Note: you do not have to "purchase" the rights to the material if it is lawfully distributed for free, which you seem to think is the only option of obtaining copyrighted material.
Similar situation is on Steam. Nabi gives Steam the legal rights to distribute the game, which makes it legal.

What would constitute as copyright infringement is if you were to upload Toribash on the internet and distribute it without Nabi's consent. And I think we can all agree that this should be punished.

As for Article 13, it is mainly concerned with media, like videos, images, and music, so games don't even fall under that category. Even if it did though, Toribash would clearly be safe because it is not distributed through social media or by p2p(peer to peer) network.

For the sake of a discussion let's assume it would though. As far as I know Article 13 will rely on AI to handle filtering of the contents. As long as Toribash is included in the "greylist" any video should pass with no problem, and it would be included in the grelyist on default unless Nabi studios had a specific statement saying that they do not want their product being recorded (which obviously wouldn't make sense).

I think most of you aren't aware of current copyright laws. Article 13 does not bring any change to current laws regarding games or recording of games. It is heavily focused on images, videos and music shared on social media,
and it is addressing a legit concern because currently posting copyrighted material on social media does not bring any substantial consequences to the person who infringes the copyright. The only thing you should be concerned about is that memes will be flagged down as infringed content because AI won't be able to distinguish between different variations of a meme. It does not concern this game. It does not concern this website. Please stop

You have a good point, but still, my opinion is that the game will not be able to be searched on Google for example, thats what I am trying to say.
And if you can't search the game, you cannot play it (unless you can buy a physical copy of some sort, like a disk with the game or have a pendrive with the game launcher)
Last edited by Lord; Dec 7, 2018 at 01:51 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
SOU TUGAAAAAAAAAA
Originally Posted by Swaves View Post
Isn't this the final situation in Rainbow Six Siege too?

no, that was because they were making the game accessible to chinese servers, and they had to make some minor changes to maps
pm me your questions or applications

https://i.imgur.com/1GWtVnU.png

dance with my dogs in the night time
cash to burn