Toribash
Original Post
Racism and Prejudice
What are your views on racism?
What do you think racism is?
What do you think about the degree of racism, bigotry or prejudice in your country or state?

I believe the idea of racism is, in itself, racist.
Let's look at today's USA, for example. If I walk up to black person, and I say the word "nigger", does this make me racist?
Well, let's factor in some things, first.

Was I referring to him as a nigger?
Was I referring to a third party as a nigger?
What did I mean by nigger?
What does the word nigger mean?

If I was not referring to him, nor a 3rd party, and I happen to have said nigger out of the amazing blue, does this make me racist? Will he/she or (an) unseen character(s) jump to conclusions?

It seems to me that in today's society, meaning has little or no value when it comes to racism or other forms of prejudice. If I'm white or Hispanic or otherwise, and I say "nigger" does it make me racist? If so, tell me why. I'm going to be straight forward. I see a lot of racial groups call themselves "racist" terms. Why are they not racist, and I am?

I also notice that people who show things off about themselves often get upset when you point it out. If I see a guy wearing a shirt that says "I'm Gay" and is wearing some get-up that portrays he may be a homosexual, how can he get mad when I assume he's gay? If you show off your cleavage, how am I wrong to notice what you are showing off? Don't be proud of something you are getting to get pissed about people noticing. Better yet, don't get pissed about somebody noticing what you show off.

I will assume you are gay, I will notice what you are showing off and I will not be sorry or ashamed.

(the last part is my opinion, feel free to discuss)
Omnia Mori
sed Evici Amor
Originally Posted by EpikTh0rn View Post
What are your views on racism?

Natural. Hinders cooperation in modern society. Will go away, eventually (either racism or the concept of race as such).

What do you think racism is?

Prejudice against those of other race?

What do you think about the degree of racism, bigotry or prejudice in your country or state?

Not very high.

I believe the idea of racism is, in itself, racist.

What?

Let's look at today's USA, for example. If I walk up to black person, and I say the word "nigger", does this make me racist?

No, but that is what you are broadcasting when you do that.
"Nigger" is a term designed to belittle those of a particular race. Labeling members of that race with the word tends to upset them.
Words are just sounds for communicating information.

Was I referring to him as a nigger?
Was I referring to a third party as a nigger?
What did I mean by nigger?
What does the word nigger mean?

Not necessarily, but people tend to integrate things by inference to the best explanation. If someone comes up to you and yells "FAGGOT" in your face, would you assume that:

1. It is a social experiment on his part, for his sociology class.
2. it's his odd way of complimenting your shoes
2. he wants to insult you

Of course, you would assume he wants to insult you because that's the most reasonable explanation.

PS: /thread, pretty much.
Last edited by Odlov; May 5, 2010 at 03:35 AM.
Very nice post.
I failed to explain what I meant by "I believe the idea of racism is, in itself, racist."

I mean that if you were take a word and assume it's use to be racist and then target it as racism whenever uttered, then planting the word to a race, is racist.
Omnia Mori
sed Evici Amor