ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Euthanesia
What's everyone's opinion on the euthanization of animals?

I'll just start by saying that it's murder.

This is more or less a moral discussion so there aren't any right or wrong answers.
I'll start by saying that it isn't murder because

I'll continue by saying that sometimes, especially in cases such as broken legs for a horse, or some painful disease, euthanasia is mercy.
Hoss.
Synonyms: kill, put to death...

I get that mercy is a valid argument, but they don't ask for mercy.
Humans are the only species on Earth that are at least known to commit suicide purposely or have the want to die. Animals, unlike us have an extreme will to survive no matter the cost.

e.g. the coyote bites off its leg when trapped
or something along those lines.
Originally Posted by Organs View Post
Synonyms: kill, put to death...

I get that mercy is a valid argument, but they don't ask for mercy.
Humans are the only species on Earth that are at least known to commit suicide purposely or have the want to die. Animals, unlike us have an extreme will to survive no matter the cost.

e.g. the coyote bites off its leg when trapped
or something along those lines.

"kill (someone)", last I checked animals weren't (someone)

also, if you've ever seen the webm of the crocodile disemboweling the zebra and the zebra trying to push his guts back in after he escapes, you'd know how futile it is. The zebra died after 2 days of absolute agony. If it was euthanized, it wouldn't have been in pain.
Hoss.
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
"kill (someone)", last I checked animals weren't (someone)

also, if you've ever seen the webm of the crocodile disemboweling the zebra and the zebra trying to push his guts back in after he escapes, you'd know how futile it is. The zebra died after 2 days of absolute agony. If it was euthanized, it wouldn't have been in pain.

The zebra clearly would rather suffer than die.
Don't get technical

Taking a life is taking a life
Obviously no one wants to die. Most humans commit suicide to escape a fate presumably worse than death. Zebras don't really have the cognitive ability to understand that they will die anyways and they will die in substantial pain.
Hoss.

That is a pretty bold statement. Not a single species, other than human beings, ever showed tendencies of suicidal behaviour ever in the insanely long history of life?
Do you have evidence?
'cause I just googled for 5 seconds and found examples that contradict your statement. http://news.discovery.com/animals/zo...e-behavior.htm

The zebra clearly would rather suffer than die.
Don't get technical

Taking a life is taking a life

In his example there are two choices: Either die or suffer and die. Suffering and living is not an option.
If the life of an individual, may it be human or animal, will consist only of pain and suffering until they die, what is the point of letting them go through those stages of suffering?
Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
If the life of an individual, may it be human or animal, will consist only of pain and suffering until they die, what is the point of letting them go through those stages of suffering?

pretty much that, another example could be certain snakes, since they will do the human equivalent of extreme self harm by biting or eating itself. it is also believed in some countries that when a major earthquake is inbound nearby, the snake will go mad from the vibrations it can feel being given off and will slam its head into anything until it dies. although that is only a belief and so may be fiction.
[19:59] <Lazors> man it's a good thing people don't see what i write here
Originally Posted by Redundant View Post

Sure but what's the point of living at all? All life involves suffering, why not take the shortcut to the end?
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
dunno, tell me.

ele Moderated Message:
Let's not turn this into an existential discussion
Last edited by Ele; May 7, 2015 at 02:54 AM.