Ranking
Original Post
Is it safe to overclock my Cpu?
well recently i have got a new laptop and i wanted to overclock my cpu(not to the max), And i am scared if my laptop would problems when i do it(I know about the problems of OC which is overheating and stuff.). should i do it or no?
and btw my Cpu is Intel Core i7 5500U 2.40GHz.
Last edited by Moataz; Dec 22, 2015 at 12:16 PM.
I think no. Just don't make your PC do something more than it can handle. Also the overheating.. I think if your PC is overheating, You can fix it by buying a stronger/Better Fan for your CPU or your laptop.
Well actually my Laptop is not overheating since it got the cool sense feature (Hp feature).
3Ghz should be fine since that is the turbo boost of your CPU. I recommand to do a prime 95 stress test for 10 minutes every time you change the multiplier. anything below 80°C at 100% load is perfectly fine (except if you use it on your lap, your knees would catch fire)
Last edited by Mongius; Dec 22, 2015 at 02:19 PM.
Got any problems or questions about computers or any other tech?Feel free to PM me any time. Lmod for Computer/Mobile Chat
First of all, that's a terrible CPU unless you're using it for rendering.
Second of all, I wouldn't recommend overclocking ANY laptop, unless you got an additional cooling system.
Well i agree with you
its a terrible cpu but they said i can turbo boost it.
by the way my specs are:
8gb ram ddr3
Nvidia gtx 950m
its not a terrible laptop after all (just the cpu)
Originally Posted by Smaguris View Post
First of all, that's a terrible CPU unless you're using it for rendering.
Second of all, I wouldn't recommend overclocking ANY laptop, unless you got an additional cooling system.

Unsure what you mean by this. His CPU is actually great for a laptop, and it is high-end, so don't tell him it sucks (especially for rendering).

As for cooling, you can't really cool a laptop, unless you get a pad or something, but in my experience those don't work.
It's good for a laptop. In comparison to same-tier desktop components, it underperforms. I'd recommend not overclocking a laptop, since while overclocking itself does little harm to the CPU, increased temperatures do considerably shorten the lifespan of any computer component. In the case of CPUs, this is most notable above around 80 degrees Celsius, but for other components (such as hard drives, especially) it can be much lower. In a laptop, no part of it is particularly well cooled, so even if the CPU can tolerate the increased temperatures, there's no guarantee that you aren't killing some less tolerant component of your computer instead.

If you absolutely, absolutely NEED more performance out of your laptop and don't have a desktop to provide that performance instead, go for it. But, otherwise, it's probably better for the computer and your lap (and your laptop's battery life) if you don't.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!