ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
would like to find more be-bop
hi i am here because i dont know a lot if be-bop jazz artists but i want to find as many as possible
its like jazz but its really uptempo and seems improvised
please tell me names also tell me all of them i have no particular likes or dislikes because i like every single track
i probably already know most of the ones that you can find by googling but im really lazy so i might have missed a lot of stuff
oh yeah
You should also look for modal jazz, it's a bit different from bebop but it's still nice (e.g. Kind Of Blue - Miles Davis or Olé - Coltrane)

Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers - Moanin' (hardbop)
Coltrane - Blue Train, Giant Steps (bestbepob3v3r), Soultrane, My Favorite Things (some say it's modal, some not), Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, Coltrane's Sound especially "Equinox" and "Body and Soul" (excellentbop)
Julian Adderley - Somethin' Else, with Miles Davis as sideman
Miles Davis - Blue Moods, Miles Ahead, Milestones, Round About Midnight
Dexter Gordon - Go!
Charlie Parker - I'm not extremely fan even though he's a great musician and popularized bebop
Sonny Rollins - St Thomas (especially "Strode Rode") and Tenor Madness, his only duo with Coltrane

This is a non-exhaustive list of the most important, if you were afraid to miss something :P
the ones i recognized from the list were coltrane and miles davis

i checked everyone else out thank you so much

also if it helps i seem to enjoy the sassy groovy tracks more than the chill ones
oh yeah
Originally Posted by pusga View Post
the ones i recognized from the list were coltrane and miles davis

i checked everyone else out thank you so much

also if it helps i seem to enjoy the sassy groovy tracks more than the chill ones

Coltrane is by far my favorite, to play or listen (I'm a saxophonist too, yay !)
You should really listen all Coltrane's work, not only bebop, it's mindblowing of creativty and pushing further the limits of impro. I'm not really fan of his free jazz albums, but I guess I'm not really objective as I don't like free jazz in general. And he did so much great stuff before it will take you hours to listen everythin

I recommend you Olé, Impressions and A Love Supreme as modal jazz albums
You should also listen his live album Afro Blue Impressions, to see the evolution of his playing and Crescent (I forgot it in the bebop list)

McCoy Tyner (Coltrane quartet pianist) also did a pretty good work, you should listen Sahara and Echoes Of a Friend

If you like sassy-groovy, Caravan (it's originally a Ellington's standard) and A Night and Tunisia (another jazz standard by Gillepsie, covered and used as title for their album) from Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers are what you need
Last edited by Flosax; May 9, 2014 at 06:41 PM.
He's technically "post-bop" I guess, but my suggestion would be Charles Mingus, specifically the album Mingus Ah Um.

Example:
[12:00] <fudgiebalz> toribash SUCKS
Check my ~~~Dank Replays~~~
Originally Posted by Larfen View Post
He's technically "post-bop" I guess, but my suggestion would be Charles Mingus, specifically the album Mingus Ah Um.

Mingus mixed different types of jazz, I think you can't say he follows one trend.
charlie parker basically invented be-bop. he's one of my favourite musicians too.

he even named one of his songs 'bebop'...