Toribash
Original Post
My 1tb external hdd has suddenly stopped powering up. Help?
Ok, so this is pretty weird and very annoying so I thought I'd ask.

Yesterday, my iomega 1tb external hdd was working completely fine, and I was watching some shows off it, recording FRAPS videos onto it etc. and all was well.
Now I try to power it on this morning and it just doesn't work. The power light flashes on for a second, then turns off and the drive doesn't even spin up. Turning it off and on without unplugging and re-plugging the power cable doesn't accomplish anything, and the light doesn't even flash. Unplugging the power, then plugging it back in does make the power light flash on, if that's relevant.

The HDD is an Iomega Prestige 1tb.

What's weird is that it's been sitting in the same place overnight, plugged into the power socket but turned off as always. It hasn't been bumped, jostled, rustled or even EMP'd as far as I know.
I checked all the cables, and they seem to be fine with no breaks (if the power light can flick on, I suppose the power cable and adaptor are fine) and all the connectors on the back of the hdd are intact.

Help?
Try a different plug, try a different cable. Is the cable the kind with a transformer on it (one of those brick things)? It could be something inside it tripped.

You could remove the HDD from it's enclosure and try plugging it directly in to your mobo.
Ok, so I guess it was something inside the adaptor that was busted, considering the cable itself was fine. I had to hunt around my house for another one in the same voltage, and that one worked fine.

Thanks, closing...