Ranking
Original Post
Laptop "plugged in - not charging" issue (windows 7) [Solved]
Hello everyone.

Recently my laptop has become convinced that even though the power cable is connected and the battery icon on the side of my laptop says it is charging, it isn't charging at all.
In short, laptop software says it's plugged in but not charging, real life shows that it is in fact plugged in and the battery is charging. Actually the laptop says it's plugged in and not charging even when it's not plugged in at all.

Now i've looked this up through Google and found it's a relatively common problem. One of the solutions was to "uninstall the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" driver in device manager, and then reinstall it.
I did this and all it managed to do was end up telling me the current charge level (it wasn't showing this before) and informing me my battery may need to be replaced. I'm certain the battery is not at fault here - especially considering the same thing that told me the battery is broken continues to tell me that it's plugged in when it isn't.

Also, when putting the laptop into sleep mode or shutting it down, the laptop fan starts going at full speed and the screen turns black without shutting down. I usually end up holding the power button down so nothing gets screwed up, but perhaps the two problems are related?

So, if anyone could help me out here it would be greatly appreciated!

Alrighty, I've solved this myself by removing the battery and cleaning some dust out before reinserting the battery and starting it without the power plugged in. Works fine now!
(Thread requires closing, thanks!)
Last edited by 4zb41; Apr 23, 2011 at 12:33 AM.
Glad you figured it out, but ya know you can close your own threads, just click thread tools in the top right-ish of your post, and then close it