Ranking
Original Post
Democracy!
I'd prefer it if no staff of any kind post on this, for that could influence the opinion of non-staff players. I would like to hear the honest opinion of the community on whether or not they think it'd be a good idea for Toribash to become more of a Democracy.

i.e: After the staff team decides they think someone is fit to become a FULL GM (trial GM should be decided upon purely by the staff team in my opinion [sorta-not really like a closed primary]. THEN, the community votes on who the staff believe should become full), the community should then vote on whether or not they agree. Obviously, we would need some sort of "Absolute Threshold" where within maybe a weeks time at least 100 people needed to have voted for it to have influenced the outcome of the staff's decision.
Last edited by Raid; Jan 17, 2016 at 02:31 AM.
JollyRogers
Sparky is a 317 pound Hump-Back Whale
Cut through the sarcasm before completly ignoring its honest meaning. What he's saying is true.
Here's why this isn't a great idea:

Just because the community thinks it's a good idea, doesn't mean it is one. Almost no users have any clue what it is like to be a staff member. They have no understanding of the stresses that it includes, with zero compensation. Toribash is a game run by a very very small group of people, who then oversee a small body of 30 or so players, who then oversee an entire community. There's this idea that a new GM is talking to Hampa about his ideas for how to improve Toribash or something. Or if a tournament was run poorly, I can complain to an smod because they're higher on the totem pole and any of them have individual carte blanche to discipline and fix the situation.

The staff are amazing here at Toribash. They really are. This group in particular is special, whether it be the fantastic Admins, the extremely reliable smods, and an active and fun GM team. Anything they do wrong is held under heavy scrutiny. You can't even be human, because the second you let yourself fall to a childish troll and get upset, there's a screenshot up within the minute on the forums to have him fired. They work hour and hour, day in day out, with no reward. Hell if they made 100k TC a day they'd be working for less than 1/8th of minimum wage. They don't. They work exclusively because they care about the community.

This staff was trained by the staff before them, so on and so forth, with so many cumulative years that they fully understand how change will work better or worse. The ideas that you think you've had that are so original have been discussed with personnel, maybe attempted, and proven ineffective well before it makes it in front of your eyes. Not to mention you would be surprised by how little influence seemingly gods of Toribash even have on the biggest decisions moving forward. I can speak as someone who's held the highest levels of staff to now- a regular user, that it's very hard to illustrate the Toribash infrastructure to someone who has never been a part of multiple groups.

I know Toribash thinks it knows best but trust me when I say you guys are in excellent hands and this shouldn't be a democracy.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Cut through the sarcasm before completly ignoring its honest meaning. What he's saying is true.

I can understand it, but like I stated, us leaving feedback / our opinions on trials won't completely ruin their chances, as gm's STILL HAVE THE FINAL SAY.

Like I said before, they are here for us, so why shouldn't we be able to decided who we want helping us?
You opened the SpaghettiO's, now you gotta sniff them.
as gm's STILL HAVE THE FINAL SAY.

Yes, because us users will have the final say on who becomes one.

If you're gonna make a suggestion please keep true to what you first said.

INSERT INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE HERE
PM me if you need anything
Originally Posted by Viddah View Post
If you're gonna make a suggestion please keep true to what you first said.

I didn't make this suggestion, read the first post I made to understand, as I had made a similar thread to this before, but rather just wanted user input on trials, then to have us fully vote on them.
There basically is a democracy, it goes Super Admins, Ninja/Admins, Smods, Gms/Cms/Ms. Users don't have much of a say because 90% of the time what you guys ask is retarded. Personally the current set up isn't bad.
Thats called a heirarchy.
What do you mean it's not personally bad?

The GM trial period is where the community has their say.
No, it's called an oligarchy. Power in the hands of a few. That's how Toribash is, and it's hardly likely that those in power are going to just give it up and share it with the rest of us.

Greater community involvement in as many processes as possible leads to greater community satisfaction. That's a straight up fact, and it's something I've long argued for. Those in power like being in power, though, so there's not much we can do about it.

----

You would think it'd be prudent to have an elected (by the users) community representative that communicates the community's interests to staff, wouldn't you?
Last edited by Ele; Jan 17, 2016 at 06:50 AM.
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
----
You would think it'd be prudent to have an elected (by the users) community representative that communicates the community's interests to staff, wouldn't you?

I'd actually thought about this, but hadn't found a way to present it, it would be nice however, but probably require's a separate suggestion thread on it's own
This is silly. The community is way too small for this to really do anything. You would also probably just end up with the same people as GMs as you would if things continued normally. If staff don't choose someone, it is for a good reason.

You have to keep in mind that you aren't made aware of everybody's backgrounds, while the staff knows.