Toribash
Original Post
Democracy!
I'd prefer it if no staff of any kind post on this, for that could influence the opinion of non-staff players. I would like to hear the honest opinion of the community on whether or not they think it'd be a good idea for Toribash to become more of a Democracy.

i.e: After the staff team decides they think someone is fit to become a FULL GM (trial GM should be decided upon purely by the staff team in my opinion [sorta-not really like a closed primary]. THEN, the community votes on who the staff believe should become full), the community should then vote on whether or not they agree. Obviously, we would need some sort of "Absolute Threshold" where within maybe a weeks time at least 100 people needed to have voted for it to have influenced the outcome of the staff's decision.
Last edited by Raid; Jan 17, 2016 at 02:31 AM.
JollyRogers
Sparky is a 317 pound Hump-Back Whale
So, here's my question: Have you see any (literally ANY) game or forum that works that way?

If you give the decisions of who should be a staff member, that means you have the decision on who should NOT be a staff member too. With that you can basically remove/ban the sole creator of the game/forum.

Now that doesn't sound so good, right? You wouldn't want to part with your sweat, hard work and achievements for something like this.

Also it's not like only staff decides who's going to be a leader of this community. Indirectly regular users give a lot of feedback for staff members to decide whether someone's worthy or not.

Just look at the in game events or forum stuff. I guarantee you that if the community doesn't like someone then the staff won't pick him as a leader.

Also, we're still talking about a game, not politics. Different things entirely.

Vox sucks
[10:14]<siku> magnificent sparkling vampire
[10:14]<siku> i love you edward

Official minibash tester. Please email [email protected] if you have found a bug!

Personal opinion - another large reason not to have a democracy is the speed at which things get done. Democracy makes things take much much longer than oligarchy. Im not going to lie, things go too slowly as it is, making every little decision take thrice as long wouldnt help either.

I do agree to some extent that we should ask the opinions of users more in certain matters, but often in those cases the information disclosed can be sensitive so its difficult to find many users who can both be trusted not to leak any information and who will also give a good contribution to discussing the matter.

I hope all that makes sense - and to be clear this is my opinion not necessarily the opinion of the GM team / staff group - that I am part of.
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.
Originally Posted by SlipAnc View Post
So, here's my question: Have you see any (literally ANY) game or forum that works that way?

Check here

The head staff finally realized that users were upset with some of the decisions being made, so he created a user group and selected the first 3 members of that group, and they were to select users from the community on a regular basis to participate in sharing / discussing their opinions and staff they they couldn't all originally do before.

Also it's not like only staff decides who's going to be a leader of this community. Indirectly regular users give a lot of feedback for staff members to decide whether someone's worthy or not.

Could you give me an example of the sorts of this truly being a thing, as from what I can tell all staff selection is held so much back doors that we couldn't even slip our opinions through.

just look at the in game events or forum stuff. I guarantee you that if the community doesn't like someone then the staff won't pick him as a leader.

Having us being more able to express our opinions / have a group that could show what we wanted would be better then us having to guess if the staff our actually watching what we said or not, and then half the time just putting it off / not responding back.
You opened the SpaghettiO's, now you gotta sniff them.
My personal opinion:

Things are fine the way things are, there are very few corrupt staff members these days, and the idea of letting people who know almost nothing about the requirements of staff positions choose who shapes the present and future of said game, is stupid.

Originally Posted by Tourneymun View Post
Check here

The head staff finally realized that users were upset with some of the decisions being made, so he created a user group and selected the first 3 members of that group, and they were to select users from the community on a regular basis to participate in sharing / discussing their opinions and staff they they couldn't all originally do before.

by your explanation he just created a council that manages the recruitment process, it's not even close to democracy.

Could you give me an example of the sorts of this truly being a thing, as from what I can tell all staff selection is held so much back doors that we couldn't even slip our opinions through.

Public opinion on a candidate plays a huge role in recruitment process, if someone is not liked then there must be something off about him, it's then researched same thing goes for popular guys, it's researched why they are so popular and it's all part of the votes.

You can be popular but it's not the same as being competent, that's why it needs another filter put on it. Democratic vote on forum would boil down quickly to being just popularity poll, it's not good idea, it's not what you want at all.

Having us being more able to express our opinions / have a group that could show what we wanted would be better then us having to guess if the staff our actually watching what we said or not, and then half the time just putting it off / not responding back.

and how would you pull it off?

Your opinions are always more than welcome in the eyes of staff. You might think that they just ignore it, but you're awfully wrong. True that there are some staff members who seem to be ignorant of your opinions, but usually (and i mean when the opinion is even worth talking about, not like this democracy idea which is simply absurd in a community like this) they are revised and taken into consideration. I know that there has been staff changes based on public opinions (as in, someone was kicked out of the team because the people didn't like that person). And again, the staff don't just read and forget the reactions of people for other people, they tend to keep things in mind and make decisions later on based on that piled up knowledge.

But that's why there is a suggestions board. It's free to used, it's revised by the toribash staff and nabistudios (yes, believe it or not) and if you have something worthful to say, say it and your opinion will be taken into consideration.

That's the best system I can think of, with a community this big and the game being like this.

Vox sucks
[10:14]<siku> magnificent sparkling vampire
[10:14]<siku> i love you edward

Official minibash tester. Please email [email protected] if you have found a bug!

Originally Posted by Ele View Post
No, it's called an oligarchy. Power in the hands of a few.

And that's a form of hierarchy. He was listing the groups with the most power to the groups with the least power.
Yes, because us users will have the final say on who becomes one. Read my suggestion before you make the sarcastic replies please. Us putting in our feedback won't kill any ones chances, and we users certainly shouldn't get to directly choose who becomes a gm, but us putting in feedback and giving our thoughts wouldn't hurt anything hmm?

And c'mon man, you're really gonna put sarcastic shit posts on here when he's making a serious suggestion....?

made me all sad n shit :,(

Also, that's probably a better idea (what you posted on the first page): Having people comment about it in a thread.
JollyRogers
Sparky is a 317 pound Hump-Back Whale
What is wrong with the chosen employees? they know that are doing.

they select the candidates they deem more prepared to the work, and who better than themselves to do that? people who have no notion of service?

Moreover, be a popular user no means be prepared for staff.
I do not support this in any way shape or form. Democracy is good in some situations, but this is not one of those situations. More importantly this is not "our" game this is "Hampa's" game. There is no such thing as a game that runs off pure democracy from the community and there is a reason for that. Its because if you put the power in the communities hands then they will end up abusing it for their own good. This isn't real life, no one here cares as much if their choices on this game effect other players badly. Why? Because its just a game and because its just a game people will never fully make decisions from the point of view "how will this effect others" they will only think "how will this effect me" or hell some won't even think those two thoughts, they will just use it as an opportunity to troll.

Also you're forgetting something here. In places where Democracy is a thing its run off a system of millions of people voting where small amounts of people being selfish doesn't matter to much. We don't have that many people in the toribash community as it is, much less people that are forum active and pay attention to stuff like the staff recruitments.

Also you're already fucking up, you told Staff to stay away from this thread. How is that an attitude going towards democracy if you're already segregating people from the get go.
AnimePlanetMyAnimeListDiscord: Kohta#1577 • NikosTunaPouffyAubreyGuessTenRythm
• No longer "active" on Toribash. Leave a PM if you need something, I'll eventually see it. •
• Crippled/Disabled girls are the best girls a guy could have. •