Ranking
Actually, you just change one parameter, "neck", to "off", and you get the old version automatically. So no need for 2 files :P I'm still cleaning up the code for the joint one tho, got a bit messy with experiments.
can you make it have ridges? like some ppl's avatars?

they sink in along the dark lines.

/whisper spion test the ridges on my head
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Originally Posted by DarkJak View Post
can you make it have ridges? like some ppl's avatars?

they sink in along the dark lines.

/whisper spion test the ridges on my head

Don't quite understand. You want a 3D-ish look according to colors? If your head looks 3Dish in the game with shaders on, it will look 3D-ish in this povray too. But if you want "real" 3D, generated from the colors thats going to be a bit complicated. a spherical height_map / image-based normal_map might be impossible xD

edit: I can always add stuff to the head though A ninja-style bandage around the head, or maybe a hat xD It will not be easy though... its like adding the neck, but harder
Last edited by Spion; Oct 31, 2008 at 06:53 AM.
I hate reflections in featureless stuff like that, it looks strange.

But good job sharing with the community ^^
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
Yah...
The heads need some texturing, because irl reflections aren't entirely motionless when you move the surface they are on.
It makes it look like nothing is really reflected, but there's just a semitransparent image laid over the top.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

<Ownzilas> Alright
<Ownzilas> 3'2 then
<Ownzilas> Half PID's dick.

The heads need some texturing, because irl reflections aren't entirely motionless when you move the surface they are on.
It makes it look like nothing is really reflected, but there's just a semitransparent image laid over the top.

On a perfect sphere that only rotates without moving, those *are* correct reflections

however if I add normals and distort the head a bit they will move. I'll experiment with that.

edit: yup, kinda managed to get imperfect reflections for ploom's head, now let me see if he likes it

edit2: Version 2 is out, with neck and imperfect reflection, both optional :P
Last edited by Spion; Nov 1, 2008 at 01:19 AM.
Some people avatars have indents based on the texture. Like there are ridges on the black lines for some. He wants to know how to do that.
Thats not possible with my povray code, *at the present moment* (see at the bottom). However most of the avatar pics I've seen have no "real" ridges, its only that the transitions between light and dark in the head texture at that spot create a "fake" 3D effect (fake shadow/highlight).

DarkJak, I don't have your head :P the latest toribash version downloads those on-demand. I'd love to test with it, though.

If you lower the reflections in my povray code (edit it, amount is at the top of the file) the ridges will look more believeable. (even at 0.4 they are still kinda-believeable). As the reflections go higher it becomes easier to notice that the ridges are fake, because the reflections dont bend along their lines.

I'll be trying to modify the code for that later. I think I can do it with a bump_map normal, using the original head texture as a bump map. We'll see if I can get some nice results

edit1: okay I got the ridges right! I'm now rendering a silly render with deep ridges of my head, and will post it as soon as its done rendering.

edit2: Voila!

of course, in this particular render they are too strong. by editing the options at the top of the povray code you can change their strength.
Last edited by Spion; Nov 2, 2008 at 05:09 PM.
See first post, Snarr, the link is there. The code is in 2.1. With ridges and everything.