ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
LOTF: Lords of the Fallen ~decent dark souls game

aka Witcher Souls

Steam store page
Don't be a pussy, buy now. It's really worth it.

so yeah, the game just have been relised and it's pretty much a dark souls clone, except it's a decent one, compared to dark souls 2.

+ it does support my custom resolution, no need for crutches like dsfix or gedosato
+ textures aren't blurry low-res broken-contrast piece of shit dark souls 2 have
+ parry is decent
+ wombo-combos with weapons
+ yes it have classic backstabs and you can execute them any time if you stand right, not what you can read on reviews as "stealth attacks"
+ reasonably challenging
+ combat is VERY fluid
+ equipment looks unique
+ nice loot mechanics
+ the more souls points you have on you unspent, the more good loot multiplier you have, think of it as gold serpent ring made a baby with ?lord? greatsword
+ i've seen word "materials" so there are possibly upgrades or even craft

- does not support custom controllers except xbox360, even x360ce (emulator) didn't help me, so i had to use xpadder with distance zones to imitate it. i will try again to get x360ce working, but it is fine already as it is with xpadder.
- some enemies are hard to telegraph for parry, may be i'm not used to yet, just half a hour of gameplay so far.
- combat may be TOO fluid at times, but still better than dark souls 2 clunkiness
- can't parry without shield, so i feel like a pussy having to equip it.
- no character creation, but i wasn't really bothered with it, still could be a nice thing to have.

+/- (neutral) actual story telling instead of lore. some people may like it, some ds tryhards might say that it's bad, for me - indifferent.
+/- (neutral) artstyle is pretty general modern fantasy rpg game (witcher, dragon age), but it's consistent, so no opinion on this. again, more about tastes, but clearly better than dark souls 2 broken contrast imo.

problems you might encounter and how to fix it:

1) game may crash on startup if you run multi-monitor setup
solved by changing settings.ini fulscreen true into fullscreenwindowed true

2) game does not recognize any custom controllers except xbox360
try to get it work with x360ce, if it doesn't work (what happened to me), then you can solve it by downloading xpadder and setting it up. walking/running with distance zones, run/roll with tap/hold. no problems here.

currently playing as thief with daggers and hand shield, parrying everything and having a blast, what else can i say?

must-buy game, way better than dark souls 2 imo in terms of fluid controls, graphics and general consistency.

it is obviously pale comparing to dark souls 1, but still a great fun.

my rating 9/10 so far, will update for story and gameplay mechanics differences later as i will see them

have difficulties telegraphing this type of enemy atm, but i'm just half hour into the game.

the game is really good. very unexpected and pleasant surprise

some shitty review video from filthy casuals:
(the game does hate you just as much)

Last edited by snake; Oct 29, 2014 at 10:40 AM.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
eh.. didn't record any yet, can only link existing from youtube

EDIT: i better record parry/riposes on my own as i can't find any
Last edited by snake; Oct 29, 2014 at 10:25 AM.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
It's a good game, but there's... Many bugs and the game ain't very stable yet. People (me included) experience a lot of crashes, not just on startup but mid-game as well.

Here's a bug list I have made: http://fextralife.com/forums/t39715/...-big-or-small/

I'd suggest reading some reviews on steam, I also have one there.

Bugs aside, the game is hella fun and I love it. Just finished it and entered NG+.
Hard to finish though, as it crashes in some events :/
I'm only less than 6 hours into the game, but I'm really enjoying it so far! I got royally destroyed on the Reaper boss fight. I had no idea what I was doing in the beginning of the fight when he explodes the whole graveyard.