Toribash
Original Post
"Good" and "evil"
Are almost the same thing. They are both based on the way someone percieves their lives

Or even just ways they respond to their emotion. You cant really distinguish between them because if you have the same opinion as people like lets say Ghaddafi then you aren't automatically evil are you?

Many famous heroes in history had imperfections

Morals aren't always prevelent.
I'm a pretty likeable person and I know for a fact many people disagree with my opinions, am I evil?
No, people like Hitler were righteous in some minds, but since such things as good or evil are
opinions, who's to say they exist at ALL?
Some of these things are reasons I personally believe that statuses are subjective to opinion and thus you can not for a fact have a status based on things you do, but rather only things you are.
Since a person doesn't change based on other people's opinions there is no good or evil.

Discuss
to be honest, I see a thin line between Good and Evil. I think it's all based on one's moral if they are good or bad.
Yeah, good and evil are 100% based on morals, I don't see much difference between the two either.
Discord:Kasey#8099
Big genital guy hmu ladies
I believe "Good" and "Evil" are too subjective. Both are typically decided in two ways. One, by an individual based on their household, their lives and the major experiences that shaped them. And two, by the culture or society that you live in. No matter what, the feelings and morals of the individual will be overrun by the society. Both of these are subjective, but an overall objective "Good" or "Evil" needs to be free of human interaction or influence, and that simply doesn't exist. This leads to a question of judgment, whats right and wrong when both are simply a matter of opinion. How can you condemn a man based on an opinion?
Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.
well zeke...id say murder would probably be somthing you could condemn a man for based on the general public's way of decyfering right and wrong.
Redbull Gave Me Wings
Originally Posted by WingedGod View Post
well zeke...id say murder would probably be somthing you could condemn a man for based on the general public's way of decyfering right and wrong.

But there's the context of the murder to consider. Was it self defense? Was it an accident? Also, was it premeditated or a moment of anger? What was the motivation? And then, even if the general population agrees on a right and wrong there is a guarantee that somewhere else a different culture disagrees. If they decide someone was wrong to murder, is it right to put that person to death? There's another opinion, and trust me, its hard to get people to agree on that one.
I'm going to agree with zeke; Good, evil, and morals are subjective. Without an objective description it's hard to place the words on a single circumstance.

WingedGod, yes it's generally accepted to say killing or murdering is bad, but each scenario is different as zeke pointed out. This applies to all other situations as well. I could take it to the other extreme and say it is right to kill someone if it saves others. Because in most systems, saving 2 or more is worth killing 1. (of course this depends on the person or people)

To respond to OP, what you're saying makes sense except for the last part; people do change based on other peoples opinions and actions towards/against them. Everything we do is in response to something else, cause -> effect. It isn't that simple for the human mind or human actions but that's essentially what it breaks down to.
So, the "morals" people speak of would be something along the lines of making rules based on how people respond to certain actions.

To bring in the example from earlier, not many people want to die, so we've made killing or murdering "wrong".
-- Jet -- Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. --
[Secret]AikidoKP

Cogito ergo sum. I think therefor I exist.

I know it's true because it says so right here in this signature.
Originally Posted by Ruyzan View Post
Are almost the same thing. They are both based on the way someone percieves their lives

Or even just ways they respond to their emotion. You cant really distinguish between them because if you have the same opinion as people like lets say Ghaddafi then you aren't automatically evil are you?

Many famous heroes in history had imperfections

Morals aren't always prevelent.
I'm a pretty likeable person and I know for a fact many people disagree with my opinions, am I evil?
No, people like Hitler were righteous in some minds, but since such things as good or evil are
opinions, who's to say they exist at ALL?
Some of these things are reasons I personally believe that statuses are subjective to opinion and thus you can not for a fact have a status based on things you do, but rather only things you are.
Since a person doesn't change based on other people's opinions there is no good or evil.

Discuss

Jesus, another paragraph of incoherent babble.
Humanity as whole has moral standards by which actions can be judged, therefore just because morality is relative doesn't mean that good and evil can't be defined.
While people can believe something the rest of the world defines as "evil" is "good," this is because they are either ignorant or psychotic. Hitler managed to be both.
And just to clarify, rofl, your opinions and thoughts do not make you evil, your actions do.
Buy TC for a great price here! http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=240345
Buy VIP and Toriprime for a great price here! http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=237249

Hey look more than two lines.
Just because you disagree with a view doesn't mean you have to criticize the person Payne.

As for the relative good and evil, yes, it does mean that it cannot be defined, because if you accept the relative meaning of good and evil, then you accept that they can mean two completely opposite things. With that being said, one word cannot have opposite meanings, it takes away any actual meaning the word once held (if at all).

Your second part about how only ignorant or psychotic people view evil things as good, I'd like to point out that many of the world powers are considered good in their own light, yet evil by those they try to control. Which is right? Who is psychotic?
The best example would probably be America going to war with other countries. The citizens view their country as helpful, peace loving, and all around good; meanwhile, those being attacked view America as evil, along with a good number of people who think America is downright retarded for claiming to go there for peace, or any number of other reasons. Would that make America psychotic or ignorant?

There are grey areas no matter which situation you look at, and it's because of those grey areas, and our ability to add new variables into the situation, that good and evil cannot be defined.
-- Jet -- Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. --
[Secret]AikidoKP

Cogito ergo sum. I think therefor I exist.

I know it's true because it says so right here in this signature.
Originally Posted by Boredpayne View Post
Jesus, another paragraph of incoherent babble.
Humanity as whole has moral standards by which actions can be judged, therefore just because morality is relative doesn't mean that good and evil can't be defined.

Morality is the basis of Good and Evil, Right and Wrong. If they had to have an objective definition it would need to be free of human input.
Originally Posted by AikidoKP View Post
Just because you disagree with a view doesn't mean you have to criticize the person Payne.

As for the relative good and evil, yes, it does mean that it cannot be defined, because if you accept the relative meaning of good and evil, then you accept that they can mean two completely opposite things. With that being said, one word cannot have opposite meanings, it takes away any actual meaning the word once held (if at all).

Your second part about how only ignorant or psychotic people view evil things as good, I'd like to point out that many of the world powers are considered good in their own light, yet evil by those they try to control. Which is right? Who is psychotic?
The best example would probably be America going to war with other countries. The citizens view their country as helpful, peace loving, and all around good; meanwhile, those being attacked view America as evil, along with a good number of people who think America is downright retarded for claiming to go there for peace, or any number of other reasons. Would that make America psychotic or ignorant?

There are grey areas no matter which situation you look at, and it's because of those grey areas, and our ability to add new variables into the situation, that good and evil cannot be defined.

^ I agree, and the example with America is perfect. Another is the thief. Is stealing okay if your feeding your starving family? From the thief's point of view it is, but from the shopkeeper he steals from, it is wrong.